PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House Viewing -AWKWARD!!

Comments

• With all due respect, surely there's not much you missed on a first viewing on a house worth £100k?

What are you planning to do, look through their drawers?
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    All the houses we viewed here (North East) we were shown round by the owners. The only times we had an agent show us round were when the property was unoccupied.

If the owner understands the psychology, then they should show you round and then leave you to yourselves. The ususal way we experienced was the "why don't I make us all a cuppa in the kitchen while you take a look around and I'll see you in there whenever you're done".

However, if they followed you round like a hawk and then didn't take the hint, then it possibly could be awkward.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • We showed all of the potential buyers around our old house. It is the norm where we are based.

We did try and show them each room first and then let them have a look around again themselves while we made ourselves scarce.

We must have done an OK job as the first people of the five to to view it on the Saturday ended up offering and securing it on the Monday!

Amazing well done!!

It was just odd as it was our first one like this and I;m unsure of how many viewings the property had prior to this - I imagine it was very few if any at all.

I will try again and be more confident!

First Time Buyer (Scotland)
    DIP 13/02/2020 ~ Offer Accepted 02/03/2020 ~ Full Application 19/3/2020 ~ Valuation Booked 19/03/2020 ~ Mortgage Offer Issued 20/03/2020 ~ Completed 15/05/2020
  • davidmcn wrote: »
    Think the OP just needs to be brave enough to nose around as they wish. If of course the sellers are actually preventing them from doing so, beware!

I think confidence is my issue here as I am very new to this and kind of doing it all myself. I need to remember that they should be trying to sell the house to me. The sellers did lat us look around but as it's a flat, there wasn't anywhere private for them to be while we looked that wasn't outside the flat itself.

Thanks!
    DIP 13/02/2020 ~ Offer Accepted 02/03/2020 ~ Full Application 19/3/2020 ~ Valuation Booked 19/03/2020 ~ Mortgage Offer Issued 20/03/2020 ~ Completed 15/05/2020
  • borkid wrote: »
    From my experience people usually ask for a second viewing and often bring another family member often mum. You could always ask to be left to look around by yourselves so you can 'discuss things in private'. When viewing I've even taken photos, asked first, we did have a 2 hour journey to view though so couldn't pop back easily to check.

Thanks for your advise, I think I will arrange a second viewing and take my mum or my partners mum as it might make them feel more comfortable. Maybe the age difference threw them.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Its not uncommon to have a second viewing so i'd arrange another one but approach it with a bit more confidence this time. Have a written list of questions you'd like to ask, & list of things you want to look at/check (eg the attic). If theres something you'd like to see more of then tell them.
    After they've walked round with you, ask if they mind if you go round again alone so you can discuss your plans("It's a lovely house but we will be making a few changes")

Nothing wrong with a 2nd or 3rd viewing. How long were you there the 1st time? 10 minutes? 20? To consider a £X00,000 purchase?

When buying a dress (£100-£200?) for a special occasion, how many times do you try it on and how long do you spend!?
  • With all due respect, surely there's not much you missed on a first viewing on a house worth £100k?

What are you planning to do, look through their drawers?

I wanted to look through fitted wardrobes and I know now I should have just asked. Hopefully the confidence will come the more viewings I attend.
  • I think confidence is my issue here as I am very new to this and kind of doing it all myself. I need to remember that they should be trying to sell the house to me. The sellers did lat us look around but as it's a flat, there wasn't anywhere private for them to be while we looked that wasn't outside the flat itself.

Thanks!

Don't worry about it. It can be an awkward experience. British politeness and manners I think getting in the way of being frank and uprfront. At the end of the day you are walking around someone's home silently judging it whilst politely smiling and saying "that's nice".

Chances are the owners are feeling equally as awkward, wanting to sell their house, and hoping you "like" it and wondering what the correct amount of guidance to give you is? They may be thinking "do they want to be shown around or left alone?". Go back and just ask nicely if they mind if you can have a few minutes to look around.

I think when you know, you know. I've spent longer choosing what to have for dinner than at least two of the houses I've brought in the past. Much of the decision making is based on the area, schools, shops, transport connections, price etc - the actual viewing of the house is only a part of it in my opinion,

Good luck with it
  • Niv wrote: »
    No its not 'standard'. I have only ever shown around a perspective buyer if the EA was not available. It was just part of their service.

Or the vendor is marketing via a cheap online agent? In which case, pay particular attention to the pricing as it may be “optimistic”.
    stripeyfox wrote: »
    I've always showed people round my house when I'm selling it. To be honest, I think I do a better job than any estate agent could. But I agree it can be an awkward ordeal for both parties. I normally give them the quick tour and then ask them if they want to look around some more then field any questions they may have.

Thing I've found is it is all very polite and you don't get much real feedback. I suppose no one is going to say to your face "I hate your house, I wouldn't live here in a million years".

I have a lot of experience in sales and marketing. I’d say vendors are the worst people to sell a house (from a sellers point of view). They are generally too open and honest and talk too much.

The OP should use this to their advantage. Make another booking and probe the heck out of the vendors. Why are you selling? Where are you moving to, how far advanced are you. How are the neighbours, how much are you paying for utilities, any antisocial behaviour nearby, how quiet at night, what issues have you had. If you were staying, what changes/updates would you do? Etc etc.

An agent will always give you a non committal answer but vendors will open up. And if necessary, just say to them “can you give us some time on our own”.

If I’m selling, I always let the agent do all viewings and go out for an hour. If I’m buying, I want to see the whites of the vendor’s eyes.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Paully28
    Paully28 Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I feel your pain. I once had a viewing where both owners were present, and although the wife was nice and showed us round, the husband couldn't have been more rude if he had tried. I subsequently found out they were not planning on being together after the sale, and I told the estate agent that I didn't want the house, partly as I didn't want to give any of my money to the husband :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure