Plane Travel

CEON44
CEON44 Posts: 473 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Ok, so its been about 5 years since I've managed to get away for a break to Spain. I'm not too well up on the rules of travel nowadays. ie what can I take/not take on the plane, either in hand luggage or checked baggage. What else can I expect at the airport in terms of security etc etc. Also is the causeway lounge worth booking? Costs about £25pp but is it worth it for the sake of a couple of hours?
I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p

Comments

• ChrisNI
    ChrisNI Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 July 2019 at 8:48AM
    There's a very good guide here

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/air-travel-hand-baggage-and-hold-luggage-rules

Hand baggage can only contain liquid containers up to 100ml and must be presented at security in a clear plastic bag (similar to a freezer bag). Liquids of any size can go into checked baggage. Electronic items such as tablets, laptops and phones must also be taken out of hand baggage and placed into a tray when going through security. You may also be asked to remove jackets / coats and shoes and place them in a tray for scanning

Never used the Causeway Lounge so can't offer any advice on this
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Also to add, you can only take one clear bag through. No idea why you'd need more than one, but parent found out the hard way and had to jettison her make up.
    I wouldn't bother with a lounge for a couple of hours unless you're planning to get to the airport particularly early. Onlne check in makes life a bit easier as well.
    Power banks need to be in hand luggage - that was a new one on me.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    CEON44 wrote: »
    Costs about £25pp but is it worth it for the sake of a couple of hours?

No. Unless you really intend to drink a lot of alcohol and place a high value on having a bit more space/less people around you. Even saying that the lounge can get pretty full at certain times of the year. Of course there's ways to get a free pass using credit cards, might be worth it if you don't fly often.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    which airline and airport do you flying from?
  • CEON44
    Cisco001 wrote: »
    which airline and airport do you flying from?
    Belfast International with Jet2. This is Northern Ireland board by the way
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 July 2019 at 9:25AM
    Ok, so its been about 5 years since I've managed to get away for a break to Spain. I'm not too well up on the rules of travel nowadays. ie what can I take/not take on the plane, either in hand luggage or checked baggage. What else can I expect at the airport in terms of security etc etc. Also is the causeway lounge worth booking? Costs about £25pp but is it worth it for the sake of a couple of hours?

You can pay for Fast Track security for £4 each. We tend to do it when going on hols as theres just the 2 of us, and security has been "problematic" at the airport in the recent past.

RE: The causeway lounge. I'm in it every week as i've a Priority Pass as i travel a lot, but with regards to holiday travel :-
    • You can prebook it and prebook seats. They only allow a certain amount of people in, so it never gets overly busy. They just turn people away if not pre-booked.
    • If you enjoy a drink or two, it can be worthwhile very quickly.
    • Theres a range of hot and cold snacks so you could do a breakfast or lunch from it.
    • You dont tend to have the noise and bussle that you get in the airport itself, so can be quite relaxing.
    • We tend to find it means our holiday starts when we get in to the lounge, rather than when we get on the plane by doing it.

We tend to try to get ourselves in to the lounge about 2.5 hours before the flight to unwind, have a couple of drinks, get some food etc.

A couple of beers and a meal in the bar at the airport could cost you £20, and thus the lounge could appear cheap. If you dont want to have a drink or two and tend not to eat at the airport normally, it could appear expensive.
  • motorguy
    ChrisNI wrote: »
    There's a very good guide here

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/air-travel-hand-baggage-and-hold-luggage-rules

Hand baggage can only contain liquid containers up to 100ml and must be presented at security in a clear plastic bag (similar to a freezer bag). Liquids of any size can go into checked baggage. Electronic items such as tablets, laptops and phones must also be taken out of hand baggage and placed into a tray when going through security. You may also be asked to remove jackets / coats and shoes and place them in a tray for scanning

Never used the Causeway Lounge so can't offer any advice on this

This is all good advice RE: security. If in doubt, take it out. Nothing more irritating than getting your bag pulled and ending up waiting for it to be searched manually because you forgot to lift out a bodyspray or a tablet.

Belt off, watch off, and i take my shoes off (though not mandatory) before going through the scanner.

It is surprising how many people miss the basics then seem surprised when their luggage gets pulled.
  • CEON44
    Thanks Motorguy. Some useful info here. Will probably give the lounge a miss. Will be flying out mid morning so my dodgy tummy wont stand for any alcohol at that time of the day. So probably not worth it.
  • motorguy
    Thanks Motorguy. Some useful info here. Will probably give the lounge a miss. Will be flying out mid morning so my dodgy tummy wont stand for any alcohol at that time of the day. So probably not worth it.

Yes, in fairness, i buy a Priority Pass which gets me in to the lounges free, then its just a matter of paying £20 to the Mrs in when we are going on hols. Thats a lot more palatable an amount than £50 and easier to recover in term of getting VFM from it. Plus i'd get no end of abuse if i left her sitting outside. :o

Allow a bit extra time than you might otherwise have done, as although they've upgraded security it still gets busy at times.

We've used Jet2 in the past for holiday flights and really like them. There seems to be a bit of extra leg room compared to the likes of Easyjet and theres good overhead bag space. The sandwich meal deal is quite good if you dont want to stump up for a hot meal. Or likewise you can get a sandwich, crisps and a drink for £3.99 in Smiths(?) before you board.
  • guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I have priority pass through work (via Amex platinum), it's a nice side-perk for holidays as with the wife's card and one free guest each we can all go in (although with #3 turning 2 soon that will be over). We also really like Jet2, overall a much better experience than Easyjet and a lot better than Ryanair.

Might be worth checking out what the lounge is like at your destination airport for your return flight as likely you'll be wanting some lunch so could be better value
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure