Solicitor - to make a will

Hi Everyone

I have a friend who wants to find a good resonably priced solictor to draw up a will. Would you recommend anyone?

Thanks

:beer:
Jellynose

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    your general area would be useful???
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Email a few in your local town that way you can have a face to face discussion about the will.
  • jellynose
    jellynose Posts: 475 Forumite
    Sorry, I do that all of the time. My friend lives in Belfast but is willing to travel for a good solicitor.
    Jellynose
  • CEON44
    CEON44 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    What you need to check out is the execution of the will. Setting up the will is relatively cheap and in many cases can be done free. However down the line after a death when the will is sorted out and executed the solicitors take big bucks. Not many people get this sorted in advance and when they are hit with a big bill they are in no mood to argue following the death of a loved one
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p
  • ballyblack
    Yes that is where the solicitor wins..........can be a percentage of the estate:eek:
  • joylikes2shop
    joylikes2shop Posts: 474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 July 2019 at 11:27PM
    ballyblack wrote: »
    Yes that is where the solicitor wins..........can be a percentage of the estate:eek:
    CEON44 wrote: »
    Setting up the will is relatively cheap and in many cases can be done free. However down the line after a death when the will is sorted out and executed the solicitors take big bucks. Not many people get this sorted in advance and when they are hit with a big bill they are in no mood to argue following the death of a loved one

It is my understanding that if a solicitor is named as the executor of a will, in addition to all the usual costs for phone calls, letters sent to the various financial institutions, courts fees etc. they can also charge ''variable fees'' which normally range from about 2% to 5% of the value of the estate. This means that the variable costs will range from £2,000 to £5,000 plus VAT for every £100,000.

I am about to have my own will updated and plan to name my (adult) kids as executors. I am also NOT going to use a solicitor to draw up my will because thankfully ( at the moment anyway :tongue: ) my affairs are pretty straight forward.
  • ballyblack
    Drawing up the will is inexpensive so to get it right I would use a solicitor. Then name the kids as executors which they will do free of charge unless you seriously !!!! them off! :rotfl:
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ballyblack wrote: »
    Drawing up the will is inexpensive so to get it right I would use a solicitor. Then name the kids as executors which they will do free of charge unless you seriously !!!! them off! :rotfl:

+1

I'm executor to my wife's will, and she's executor to mine. When the second of us dies, then my son is executor to that will.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Rule of thumb is:

1) to ask family, friends, neighbours and work colleagues for recommendations of Solicitors local to where the person lives or works.

2) never have the Solicitor named as executor - unless you have no residuary beneficiaries who would be able to act in that capacity. A lay executor can pay for legal advice/help from the estate funds if needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure