Anyone tried Starling Bank?

Comments

• Wouldn't touch Starling with a barge pole. Had so many problems with them since joining and now they've frozen the account. Apparently I'm not the only one, there's other reports of them deciding freeze accounts when the balances get to a certain size then review and close them 28 days later. Meanwhile not giving a monkeys about the affects on families and the individuals for paying bills. Shocking.:mad::mad::mad:
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    DRob wrote: »
    Wouldn't touch Starling with a barge pole. Had so many problems with them since joining and now they've frozen the account. Apparently I'm not the only one, there's other reports of them deciding freeze accounts when the balances get to a certain size then review and close them 28 days later. Meanwhile not giving a monkeys about the affects on families and the individuals for paying bills. Shocking.:mad::mad::mad:

LOL try an application to Metro Bank then and see what you get.

Where are these other reports of Starling Bank freezing accounts and closing accounts when the balance gets to a certain level? Quotes and links please.

In contrast I have nothing but praise for Starling Bank. The one and only area which I find confusing is that I don't see the point of an overdraft which can be varied in the app aside from guarding against fraudulent transactions which would clean out the account balance and the overdraft.

I highly recommend Starling Bank.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    DRob wrote: »
    Wouldn't touch Starling with a barge pole. Had so many problems with them since joining and now they've frozen the account. Apparently I'm not the only one, there's other reports of them deciding freeze accounts when the balances get to a certain size then review and close them 28 days later. Meanwhile not giving a monkeys about the affects on families and the individuals for paying bills. Shocking.:mad::mad::mad:
    Instead of these unidentified 'many problems' and complaining about having your account frozen and closed without explaining the circumstances, if you could be more specific about details, such as how much you deposited and how you were requested and complied with source of funds verification, we might be able to take your post seriously.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Anthorn
    Well, the email from Starling Bank today was initially a shocker with the subject line, "New feature: Settle up with Starling". What do they want me to pay them some sort of fee. But then I saw "New feature". Basically it's a button in the Payments section of the app where you can request payment for, as Starling puts it, an IOU, and send it to someone by email or text. Then they can pay through their Starling account or a secure page where they can pay by card. Might be useful for getting those Bank Of Dad withdrawals back from my son lol. Will be useful for some.
  • Starling is terrible!

Just transfered to the company EUR and lost £800 due to the awful exchange rate GBP/EUR 1.16 comparing to official and advertised mastercard rate of 1.13.

Starling promotes no fees, but actually the fees are huge!

So dissapointed! Customer service is awful!
  • 8i6daddy
    8i6daddy Posts: 89 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2018 at 6:58PM
    skristi wrote: »
    Starling is terrible!

Just transfered to the company EUR and lost £800 due to the awful exchange rate GBP/EUR 1.16 comparing to official and advertised mastercard rate of 1.13.

Nice to see you've cut and paste your "complaint" from the Starling community forum.

https://www.starlingbank.com/legal/account/pricing/ has the various options on charges, etc.

You seem to be blaming Starling for the poor rate, but are you certain it wasn't the bank that you were sending the money from that set the rate? or some sort of intermeditary charge?

In my opinion Starling, along with Monzo are breathing a breath of fresh air into banking... I much prefer things like instant notifications. For example if I use my TSB card in KFC, I NEVER get a pending transaction, just 3 days later a debit appears on my account. In both my Monzo and Starling accounts I get an instant notification on my phone.. it's the little differences like this that I like so much about being in full control of whats going on with my money...
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    skristi wrote: »
    Starling is terrible!

I'm afraid it's your own ignorance that is terrible if has caused you an £800 'loss' by imagining that an incoming euro transfer will be converted at the 'official and advertised' MasterCard rate. MasterCard is only involved in use of your debit card. If you are unwise enough to send a foreign currency transfer direct to any UK bank they will impose ~3% margin on the rate. Perhaps you find Starling CS awful when they try to explain your mistake...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have to say I was impressed with them until I asked for an overdraft around Christmas (to clear the last of my Halifax). They said they!!!8217;d need to do a soft search, I said ok. They did a hard search.

Here I am almost two months later, then saying it!!!8217;s been removed, me checking my credit file to see it hasn!!!8217;t been. Them saying I now need to take it up to with Equifax. They also decided that as they have resolved my complaint they have decided not to uphold it.

Anyway I didnt fish for anything but they sent me two bars of chocolate to say sorry! Better than nothing but I just don!!!8217;t get how they can admit they screwed up then not uphold it?!
  • Anthorn
    wizzywig27 wrote: »
    Have to say I was impressed with them until I asked for an overdraft around Christmas (to clear the last of my Halifax). They said they!!!8217;d need to do a soft search, I said ok. They did a hard search.

Here I am almost two months later, then saying it!!!8217;s been removed, me checking my credit file to see it hasn!!!8217;t been. Them saying I now need to take it up to with Equifax. They also decided that as they have resolved my complaint they have decided not to uphold it.

Anyway I didnt fish for anything but they sent me two bars of chocolate to say sorry! Better than nothing but I just don!!!8217;t get how they can admit they screwed up then not uphold it?!

As far as I know with Starling an overdraft is not applied for. It is awarded after initially searching your credit history in response to your initial application. That's what the blurb says anyway. In my case I was accepted for the current account and then an overdraft facility came out of the wide blue yonder the next day.

Wow two bars of chocolate eh! All I got from Lloyds Bank was £20!
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    wizzywig27 wrote: »

Yeah I opened account and was given £250. I had £250 left on Halifax so asked them to increase if, they said no so I asked them if the overdraft team could look into it. They responded saying they could but would need to do a !!!8216;soft search!!!8217; (I still have the transcript on my app). They then did a hard search - they even admitted this was in error in the chat log in the app.

They then respond with !!!8216;Taking into account that this search has been removed within the timeframes given, we have decided not to uphold your complaint.!!!8217;

Either way it hasn!!!8217;t been removed and they are refusing to reopen my complaint and telling me to contact Equifax myself.

Their customer service is a joke!

It took them two weeks to provide me with a response!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure