Our new Broadband Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Comments

• evenasus wrote: »
    After arranging and paying the line rental saver upfront with Plusnet, I received a call from BT asking us why we were leaving and then offering us broadband reduced from the £31 a month we were paying, to £6 a month.

I absolutely hate that tactic, we're moving soon and my Sky ADSL is just out of minimum term so I've got to phone them and see what they'll offer for an upgrade to fibre (we're father away from the same exchange). I'm going to tell them that they have just one shot at retaining me as I won't cancel any new supplier (if needed) once I've put it in motion regardless of offer. There's enough for me to do without having to pig about with retention calls.
  • First post. First time Money Saving...

My BB+TV contract was due to expire next month and was going to shoot up to the non promotional price of £49.99. Was paying 31.99 for BB and 7 for the TV but was looking to cancel all my TV subscription as I barely watch it. Rang up with the intention of leaving if I didn't get a better deal than the upgrade offered to me online of 31.99 with 9.99 upfront.

The first 2 deals offered to me were rubbish so I explained to the advisor that I had already priced up Plusnet at £24.99p/m for the same package and offered an ultimatum that he had to make me a serious offer to stay. I don't always look for the cheapest price: customer service and reputation are important to me. I would never switch to a cheaper provider that I was unfamiliar with. I have been happy with the service I've had with BT for the past year which is worth a lot to me.

He offered me the same BB package I have now for £26.99 with no upfront fee which I happily accepted. Saving £60 over the year and only £9 more expensive than plus net. Very Happy Money Saver this afternoon :beer:
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 845
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Do BT use Indian script reading support centres?
  • Xenon
    Xenon Posts: 229
    Forumite
    edited 20 February 2018 at 6:13PM
    I am with Sky unlimited 17mb broadband ending in March

Been looking to upgrade to fibre unlimited so Sky offered 38mb unlimited 18 months (12 months at £20 then 6 months at £30) - so £420 all in.

I think that is their standard offer to anyone upgrading to fibre - but will phone them and see if i can get better.

Not sure/undecided to stay or go with Plusnet/Vodaphone.
  • intalex
    intalex Posts: 811
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My Sky unlimited 17mb broadband deal (£9.49pm all inc) was due to end in a month and I went on their online chat service at 7am this morning to drop in an "innocent" intention to cancel at the end of the contract and ask if I need to give any notice or simply sign up with another supplier (gently stating Plusnet's £10.24pm deal to the agent) and they'd handle the cancellation and transfer.

They countered with a 12-month renewal for £11pm all inc (instead of £30pm standard price), which I took. Involved a £2.50 one-off fee for the first month, but £11pm thereafter (already reflected under "future bills").
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    intalex wrote: »
    My Sky unlimited 17mb broadband deal (£9.49pm all inc) was due to end in a month and I went on their online chat service at 7am this morning to drop in an "innocent" intention to cancel at the end of the contract and ask if I need to give any notice or simply sign up with another supplier (gently stating Plusnet's £10.24pm deal to the agent) and they'd handle the cancellation and transfer.

They countered with a 12-month renewal for £11pm all inc (instead of £30pm standard price), which I took. Involved a £2.50 one-off fee for the first month, but £11pm thereafter (already reflected under "future bills").

You had a far better deal than myself, basically because the lowest deal for 17Mb BB & Anytime calls in early January was 21.99, which Sky matched. If you add the 8 quid for Anytime calls, you're on 19 quid a month, which is quite good. Will see what Retentions do at Sky once formally notified of April's price increase - my objective, BB and Anytime calls for 20 quid.
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    editor1 wrote: »
    You had a far better deal than myself, basically because the lowest deal for 17Mb BB & Anytime calls in early January was 21.99, which Sky matched. If you add the 8 quid for Anytime calls, you're on 19 quid a month, which is quite good. Will see what Retentions do at Sky once formally notified of April's price increase - my objective, BB and Anytime calls for 20 quid.

Well, managed to get through to Chat, complained at cost increase, stated could get BB, phone and Anytime chat cheaper with Now TV and was offered £16.99 inclusive - BRILLIANT I thought, only to just find out some savvy users over at HotDealsUK have been able to get Anytime for 2 quid a month, their present deal being £12 pm inclusive.

Happy with what I got and seem really complex to try and push the Anytime deal they were offering, 2 quid a month for 36 months.

My mother most pleased with £16.99.
  • I just used your tips at 'Haggle with BT' and got £24/month off my bill. Thank you!!!
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171
    Forumite
    Got a standard offer of £10 pcm for Sky unlimited fibre up to 38 meg with a 12 month contract, plus whatever Sky will decide my phone line will cost (roughly £20) plus £10 admin fee.

I explained that BT will roughly match this for faster Infinity, with £170 cashback from Thinkbroadband over 18 months but as expected they weren't very interested so I am going to BT.

As Sky are a BT reseller hopefully nothing will go wrong as I will say that Sky's broadband and technical support with a couple of line of line faults have been excellent.
  • Gary1963
    Gary1963 Posts: 287
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just renegotiated Virgin 100 for £21.25 per month on new 12 month contract.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback