Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• apritchard
    Options
    One thing I have not seen discussed (either here or on Which?) is exactly who can claim compensation.

I paid for the family to come on holiday for 2 weeks. Two of our part were booked to go back to UK on 28th July and got caught up in a 4.5 hour delay at Preveza (MON3691). Can I claim for compensation as I paid for the whole party - or is it only the two passengers? If the latter, then is is very difficult, as one of them is on a 10-month cycling tour of Europe!! Very unfair as well as it was my money that paid for it. :(
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    apritchard wrote: »
    One thing I have not seen discussed (either here or on Which?) is exactly who can claim compensation.

I paid for the family to come on holiday for 2 weeks. Two of our part were booked to go back to UK on 28th July and got caught up in a 4.5 hour delay at Preveza (MON3691). Can I claim for compensation as I paid for the whole party - or is it only the two passengers? If the latter, then is is very difficult, as one of them is on a 10-month cycling tour of Europe!! Very unfair as well as it was my money that paid for it. :(

The Regulation is clear that it is the passenger who is entitled to the compensation - not the person who paid for the ticket.
  • linp55
    Options
    Was anybody else bumped off this flight. I have tried to get compensation from Thomas Cook who just give a standard reply and ignore your complaint.. They apologise for the delay. There was no delay. About 110 passengers were given a letter to say this flight was no longer available but the plane was parked on the runway and did take off for Manchester. Despite being booked on this Thomas Cook flight we were put on a Titan Airways flight to Stansted, were not met by a representative from Thomas Cook and had to wait for buses to transport us to Manchester Airport. Because of this delay (well over 6 hours) we missed our prepaid train for our onward journey home. Was anybody else on this flight.
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What does it matter who else was on the flight?
    Read the FAQ's.
    Your case is unique to you, and not anyone else.
    NBA and court time for you.
  • bubbles4141
    Options
    Has anyone had compensation from Monach Palma to Gatwick. Does anyone know if anyone else has claimed for this flight, it was about a 7 hour delay. Faulty parking break apparently, they had to fly in a new aircraft and crew, as the oringinal crew were not trained for the new aircraft.

23/10/2012, Flight number: ZB 227

The CAA has found in our favour, but Monach has refused the claim.

We have now applied to the small claims court and are awaiting a date and location. If the CAA have found in our favour why don't they just settle?
  • kf01
    kf01 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I wonder if anyone can help me. I have previously complained to easyJet (back in 2008 and 2010) regarding a flight cancellation in December 2007 flying from Vienna to Luton, without success. In fact they eventually agreed to reimburse expenses, but never did!

I then took this up with the Austrian NEB without success. At that point many cases were on hold and whoever I spoke to in Austria did not seem very interested in taking up my case. I did not have time then to pursue it further.

Last week I finally wrote to them again following advice on MSE and have had this reply:
    "May I politely inform that your mail is absolutely a record, because I never received a complaint about a flight irregularity, which happened nearly 6 YEARS AGO! In this connection may I kindly inform too, that the Austrian Aviation Authorities only handle complaints within a time frame of 3 years. Of course it's pitiable what occured on this 21st of December 2007, but this case comes definitly under the statute of limitation! Federal ministry of transport, innovation & technology Civil Aviation Authority"

Can anyone help? Are they correct? Is there any way I can force them to take it up with easyJet? What are the rules regarding statute of limitations in Austria? Should I just give up?

Many thanks if anyone can assist me with this.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    try starting with the FAQs on the Easyjet thread - you have 6 years for court action in England (5 in Scotland)
    There is info in the FAQs about what to do next
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kf01 wrote: »
    Can anyone help? Are they correct? Is there any way I can force them to take it up with easyJet? What are the rules regarding statute of limitations in Austria? Should I just give up?

I have no experience with the Austrian NEB but have with both the CAA and the Spanish NEB and the two I have had dealings with have been a waste of time. The CAA are IMO a total waste of time anyway in respect of customer assistance and whilst the Spanish NEB ruled in my favour both the airline and the Court failed to acknowledge their authority.
    If you believe EasyJet owe you compensation then time is running out for your 2007 flight - post on the EasyJet thread, if you need to, after reading FAQ's on page one of that thread and either front a case yourself, go via a no win no fee firm or forget it.
  • comalley2010
    Options
    Hi,

My family and i flew to Barcelona just before the Icelandic volcano eruption. We were delayed by almost a week before we managed to get flights home.

Do you think we would be able to claim compensation for these flights?

Many Thanks,

Christian
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,

My family and i flew to Barcelona just before the Icelandic volcano eruption. We were delayed by almost a week before we managed to get flights home.

Do you think we would be able to claim compensation for these flights?

Many Thanks,

Christian

no you cannot, there is another board here re ash cloud http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=201
    you should have your expenses reimbursed but no compensation payment
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure