Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Options

Comments

• Redredrobin
    Options
    I had family members due to fly home [Krakow to Manchester 1/11/19] at 5-40pm , the flight was initially delayed but then cancelled due to fog although i believe other airlines were operating .

The company they went with Leger sorted out accommodation and the only available flights were from Ostrava airport to Stanstead some 2 hrs away in the Czech republic at 10-00pm 2/11/19 .Then a mini bus journey to Manchester.

All in all they got home 30+ hours later than scheduled.

Has anyone used a claims company ? if so which one ? Now i know it can be done by themselves but they dont want to for a variety of reasons .
  • Justice13075
    Options
    DO NOT USE A CLAIMS COMPANY. People usually choose between Bott & Co or Eu Claim. Both will take approx 30% of your claim but there's no hassle for your family members.
  • legal_magpie
    Options
    Bott and Co are solicitors and are governed by strict rules. claims companies are unregulated and you have no redress if they mess up or go bust.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Amazingly Ryanair paid up compensation for my partner's daughter's delayed flight, even though it was tight to the 3 hours. Paid up without any quibble and within 2 weeks!
    Wonders will never cease.....
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Romaness
    Options
    Delayed Ryanair flight, 22nd December:

My Valencia-Porto flight was delayed by 3h exactly (both departure and arrival), which, according to the information relayed to us, was due to a delayed Porto-Madrid flight earlier in the day, affecting every flight after that.!

The delay warnings were gradual (once every half hour or so, until the final delay, just over an hour before the ultimate departure time - after boarding, we then sat on the plane for a good while due to a last minute issue with one of the cockpit doors just as we were revving for departure).

Ryanair sent an automated e-mail during the airport wait with the options of 1) seeking a refund; 2) a flight change; and another after departure with a .pdf attachment attesting to the delay for insurance claims.!

The EUClaim checker says it was an "extraordinary circumstance" causing the delay, and thus there is no case for a compensation claim.

Ryanair's justification doesn't strike me as an extraordinary circumstance (certainly not one I should bear the brunt of), but I didn't buy insurance for the flight, so!do!I have a case for a compensation claim?!

I'm a novice to flight compensation claims, and I'm still entangled in a multi-year "fight" with Vueling for refusing to pay up for a heavily delayed flight for my elderly grandparents so, whilst I don't want to give up my rights (such as they may be), I'm also not desperate to spend more time and energy on a hopeless situation.!

Any thoughts/advice welcome.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Put both sets of flight details into bottonline and euclaim and see what they say.
  • ashgee
    Options
    Hi all, 

Apologies if something similar has been answered on here, I had a look through this thread and couldn't quite find an answer. 

I was due to fly back to London stanstead from Barcelona on feb 9th but on arrival at the airport (checked in online) I received notification that the flight was cancelled due to storm Ciara. I approached the Ryan air desk for advice and was told they could not bring me back until Tuesday 11th. I had work to get back to and a car stuck in stanstead airport that I would be accruing extra charges for so was keen to get back asap. I asked her to check if there were flights to anywhere else in the UK that day but they said no. I was with 5 friends, they were flying back to Manchester (their flight went with no issues) on the 9th and were at the airport with me but Ryan air said there was no room on their flight for me. 

As Ryan air were unable to offer me suitable re-routing the lady advised me to ask for a refund and any additional expenses I incurred trying to get myself home I should keep receipts and email Ryan air for reimbursement. She gave me 2 sheets of paper and sent me on my way to sort everything out myself. I found a flight the following day by another airline and paid for this as well as my airport transfers, overnight hotel, sundries. additional parking expenses at stanstead and a train form Gatwick to stanstead upon my return to the UK.

I've emailed Ryan air and completed the EU claims form and they have refused to reimburse my expenses stating 'our records show no evidence of you contacting our reservation centre via live chat service based on your reservation number and email address therefore they are not in a position to reimburse any expenses incurred'.

I asked them to escalate this as a formal complaint, told them I did not feel I would need to speak to a live chat service when I utilised the support of the Ryan air reps in the airport, added photographic evidence of the support sheet they gave me 'notice of your rights' section 3. right to care. screenshots of a twitter chat I had with a Ryan air rep whilst in Barcelona clarifying the process I should follow in regards to getting back expenses and the reps response as well as a screen shot I took of the Ryan air website on Sunday 9th showing no flights were available to book until Tuesday 11th.

Ryan airs response - 'our position remains unaltered'. 

Does anybody have any advise regarding how I should proceed?

Thanks in advance 
  • Justice13075
    Options
    ashgee said:
    Hi all, 

Apologies if something similar has been answered on here, I had a look through this thread and couldn't quite find an answer. 

I was due to fly back to London stanstead from Barcelona on feb 9th but on arrival at the airport (checked in online) I received notification that the flight was cancelled due to storm Ciara. I approached the Ryan air desk for advice and was told they could not bring me back until Tuesday 11th. I had work to get back to and a car stuck in stanstead airport that I would be accruing extra charges for so was keen to get back asap. I asked her to check if there were flights to anywhere else in the UK that day but they said no. I was with 5 friends, they were flying back to Manchester (their flight went with no issues) on the 9th and were at the airport with me but Ryan air said there was no room on their flight for me. 

As Ryan air were unable to offer me suitable re-routing the lady advised me to ask for a refund and any additional expenses I incurred trying to get myself home I should keep receipts and email Ryan air for reimbursement. She gave me 2 sheets of paper and sent me on my way to sort everything out myself. I found a flight the following day by another airline and paid for this as well as my airport transfers, overnight hotel, sundries. additional parking expenses at stanstead and a train form Gatwick to stanstead upon my return to the UK.

I've emailed Ryan air and completed the EU claims form and they have refused to reimburse my expenses stating 'our records show no evidence of you contacting our reservation centre via live chat service based on your reservation number and email address therefore they are not in a position to reimburse any expenses incurred'.

I asked them to escalate this as a formal complaint, told them I did not feel I would need to speak to a live chat service when I utilised the support of the Ryan air reps in the airport, added photographic evidence of the support sheet they gave me 'notice of your rights' section 3. right to care. screenshots of a twitter chat I had with a Ryan air rep whilst in Barcelona clarifying the process I should follow in regards to getting back expenses and the reps response as well as a screen shot I took of the Ryan air website on Sunday 9th showing no flights were available to book until Tuesday 11th.

Ryan airs response - 'our position remains unaltered'. 

Does anybody have any advise regarding how I should proceed?

Thanks in advance 
    Give Bott & Co a call and see what they say
  • techno12
    techno12 Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Flight from DUB to BHX delayed by 4hrs on Monday (due to "technical issues" with a plane in Manchester, according to the pilot when we finally boarded).

Process with Ryanair has seemed to have gone smoothly for me, I guess as it's completely their fault.

I went on their website to lodge an "EU261 and expenses" claim, as I'd had to pay for a £39 last minute hotel in central Brum and £8 return train ticket.

Received an email just now, around 48hrs after I submitted the request, saying that a 250 Euro payment will be made within 21 days, and that this is "full and final settlement".

I'm happy enough with that, though I did think that expenses could be claimed on top of the 250 Euro "compensation", but now that I'm back and the pain of waiting 4 hours in the airport is fading the £140+ profit (flight was £12.99) is nice.

Just documenting my experience with Ryanair.

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alas, consequential costs lke your hotel room, aren't covered in reg 261/2004. Hope you get your cash soon.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport