Will they sell my home

I jointly own a house with my husband. My husband has a HMRC debt which we have offered to pay back monthly but they rejected, we then applied for an IVA which they also rejected, they have now made my husband bankrupt and we have been told they are going to sell our house to get my husbands half of the equity. We have 3 children under 18 and will be made homeless as the price of rentals in our area are way out of our price range. Our mortgage is £550 per month but a 3 bedroom house rental is around £1000. I’ve been told lots of different things. 1 being it will have to go to court and a judge will decide if they can force a sale. Can anybody give me some advice as to what I can expect to happen .

Comments

• Minkym00
    Minkym00 Posts: 770
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Firstly the OR needs to establish roughly how much equity is in it.

They will then hand over trustee status to an Insolvency Practitioner. The first thing they will do is get a true picture of the equity by having the property valued and obtaining the redemption figure from the mortgage company. You can expect this to take a month or so.

Assuming there is enough equity in the property (min £10k) for HIS BENEFICIAL SHARE (you get to keep yours) then they will proceed with the sale. If there is less than £10k they will probably opt for a charging order instead.

If you dig your heels in the IP will have to obtain a possession order at court, again this can all take months. You would probably have a year from start to finish if you're lucky.

The best way to deal with this, if at all possible, is to find a family member to make an offer to buy out your husband's beneficial interest.

Will the beneficial interest clear your husbands debts (assume £20-25k of fees will go to the IP)?
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi,

'Home rights' will prevent a sale of the property until after 1 year has passed.
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,677
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    How much is owed? Are you able to raise the money by doing a secured loan or something? Or can you save up between now and when it goes to court and offer to make a lump sum payment with the rest to follow monthly?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Hi Lisa,

Speaking from a purely professional perspective , I note that you mention having three children .
    Generally speaking, minors' rights take precedence for one year post bankruptcy. This means that in most circumstances where children live in the property the trustee will not exercise their right to seek an order to sell or repossess a family home during the first twelve months. Occasionally the IP may start the process towards the tail end of the twelve months.

Hopefully, this interval gives a little bit of time to recover a bit and reassess.

L
  • We are already at the stage of the insolvency company valuing our house the equity is 60k, 30 of that being mine. We want to fight it as we can’t rent and I run a business from home so I will lose my business and 3 children under 18 will be made homeless. We can afford to pay it back over 5 years but not immediately. How can they make children homeless. This is what I don’t understand
  • Lisa,

How long ago was the Bankruptcy Order and how old are your children ?

L.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,677
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Speak to a mortgage broker who is WELL qualified in bad credit.

There may be an option for a mortgage (albeit potentially a higher rate) or a secured loan.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • We are already at the stage of the insolvency company valuing our house the equity is 60k, 30 of that being mine. We want to fight it as we can’t rent and I run a business from home so I will lose my business and 3 children under 18 will be made homeless. We can afford to pay it back over 5 years but not immediately. How can they make children homeless. This is what I don’t understand

With all due respect......

We want to fight it as we can’t rent

Why not? You will have £30k in the bank and can pay a year up front if needed

I run a business from home so I will lose my business

Why? presumably this only involves a spare room and a printer rather than a fully fledged production line.

If I were you I would focus on the kids angle. HMRC are there to protect the public purse (i.e. my money) - we would all expect them to realise your OH's assets unless there is a good reason not to.

As outlined by others, simplest solution is to find a family member to buy the OH's interest....then you can pay them back over 5 years instead of paying HMRC.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure