Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Comments

• pantaiema
    pantaiema Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 September 2019 at 6:35PM
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    To be fair, if you take advantage of the FairFx extra £35 worth of currency offer and use the card optimally, it's actually a good choice.

I wonder whether there are people here who manage to bag the second incentive.

I have done this before, I closed the account and then try to open a new account again, to get the bonus. I did not get the card, neither do they bother to communicate with me.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    pantaiema wrote: »
    I wonder whether they are people here who manage to bag the second incentive.

I have done this before, I closed the account and then try to open a new account again, to get the bonus. I did not get the card, neither do they bother to communicate with me.

Are you stating that you paid them £500 and they didn't supply you with a card? I think not.
    It's never nice when someone tries to play the system in a way that is simply not sustainable.

https://www.fairfx.com/l/mseeuro
    *New FairFX customers only. Load £500 or more to qualify for the additional £35 credit.This will be added to your account as a voucher. Please see full Card Terms here: http://www.fairfx.com/terms.A minimum load of £50/€60/$75 is required to qualify for a free FairFX currency card.
  • pantaiema
    pantaiema Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 September 2019 at 8:19PM
    Are you stating that you paid them £500 and they didn't supply you with a card? I think not.

I mean I got incentive using promotional offer a few years ago. I withdrew all of the money and then I close my FairFx account as I have other better mean of withdrawing cash in foreign currencies. Last year there were similar offer I tried applying new one online the new card never arrived. Probably they recosgnise my name.
    It's never nice when someone tries to play the system in a way that is simply not sustainable.

https://www.fairfx.com/l/mseeuro

Well, keep in mind this is an MSE forum. I wonder if you have come accross the things like stoozing, switching incentives, open multiple accounts, etc. This is the place where people get info like this.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My wife has got a post office card and loaded money onto it, I have never used anything of the sort so am I right in thinking that the rate you get when you spend on it depends on that day, just like if you were changing sterling to euro on different days of the week with different rates?
    Did she 'load' GBP or another currency?

Getting such a card is a mistake in any case, with awful PO exchange rate and various fees. It's cheaper to use a regular bank debit card which has fees for overseas use.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Hi,
    I have a Thomas Cook Cash Passport card and have just asked for the balance to be transferred to my bank account, since they've told me the card is being discontinued. I was horrified to learn that I’ve been charged a monthly `inactivity fee’ for the past three years. OK, I acknowledge it’s in the T’s & C’s so more fool me for not realising this sooner. My question, though, is that I’ve never been notified by Thomas Cook that they had begun charging me, and have never had an annual statement of charges. If a bank or credit card company charges me I believe they have to notify me, so does anyone know whether this should happen with a Thomas Cook cash passport (it’s a Mastercard)?
  • It was my understanding that the so-called 'inactivity fee', charged at a monthly rate of £2 in respect of both the Mastercard and Visa versions, did not kick in until 15 months 'inactivity' had gone by. At which point, one might've thought the card issuer would have issued notification of the onset of the charging. If you've been hit for £72 for 36 months, then the card can't have been used for at least 51 months, going back to late-2015. Must admit, we once looked at Thomas Cook's card before realising the small print monthly 'inactivity' clause was ridiculous. Good luck with disputing the charge (on the grounds that no notification has ever been provided).
  • TUI Travel Card / TUI Money Card / TUI Pre-Paid Card Warning:  If you are told the card has no charges associated with this card, as we were, this is not true.. read the small print ... an inacitivity fee of £2 (or the equivalent) will be charged each month after 2 years of no transactions made on the account across all currencies. NOTE they do not tell you they have started taking the £2 per month and will take it until all your money is gone. Its in the very small, small print. This is even if you cannot travel because of Corona Virus! 
  • I have had Fairfx GBP and Euro cards for several years. I recently logged onto the app and checked my balance. I was then prompted to apply for their new multi currency card and because I could go no further (I wanted to change my email address) I did so.  Now when I log on I get email address not recognised message. I rang them 4 times only to be cut of after hanging on the phone for over ten minutes. On fifth try I got to speak to someone. I explained the situation, gave him my preferred email address and he said he would change it for me, but to log onto my account again I would have to wait a couple of hours for the system to “catch up”. I did, and checked my balances on both cards. When I got my new multi currency card I was told to activate my new card on line. Now it won’t accept either my old or new email address as part of the logon process.
    Is anyone else having this problem?
    Have I been duped?
    Getting through to “customer services” is practically impossible and their online chat system take at least 48hrs to get a response, you get a different “advisor” each time who wants to know the whole sorry story again. I have asked them to ring me - some hope!
    I am at my whits end
  • For anybody with Caxton FX card - they debit a £2 monthly fee after 12 months inactivity
    Fortunately I realised this a few days before it applied to my card and was able to remedy this.
    There are options to keep the account open without this fee.
    1. Use card for a purchase.
    2. Switch from one currency to another.
    3. Load the account.
    Also, if the balance is zero the fee does not apply.
    You can return any balance to the linked debit card to achieve a zero balance, however there is a £1.50 fee taken from the balance to do so.
    I went for the switching option - can switch back when next holiday comes around.
  • Can anyone recommend a prepaid travel account for which my wife and I could have joint access, as in a UK current account?  I’ve had a sole account with FairFX for several years.  They don’t do joint accounts, which is a pity because I’ve been happy with their service.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback