Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LauraS12
    • By LauraS12 17th Sep 19, 2:27 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LauraS12
    Homebuyers Report - Scary!
    • 17th Sep 19, 2:27 PM
    Homebuyers Report - Scary! 17th Sep 19 at 2:27 PM
    Hello,

I have trawled through the forums and have seen some great advice about scary homebuyers reports. My husband and I are first time buyers and we just had the homebuyers report back it has flagged the following issues as the DREADED 3:

The walls are of cavity construction with a brick outer leaf. The walls contain a plastic damp proof course. The front bay window wall is partly rough cast rendered. The walls appear to have had cavity wall insulation installed. Internally, the external walls have been plastered.
    High damp meter readings were recorded on the rear left hand side walls, which we believe is a result of penetrating damp. The mortar pointing around the damp proof course is also weathered and requires repointing.

It has also flagged:

The meter can be found in the garage. The consumer unit can be found in the ground floor W. C. The consumer unit contains RCDs (residual current devices) and MCBs (Miniature Circuit Breakers) to protect users should there be a defect with the installation. Where visible, the installation has been wired in plastic covered cable. There is no up-to-date test certificate for the electrical installation.
    The conservatory light fittings are missing and the garage fitting is connected to a plug socket. Both should be properly installed.

And then additional 3's are because they didn't have gas or electric certificates (which we are chasing to see if the vendors do have them and just didn't show them to the surveyor). I am a first time buyer and utterly out of my depth when it comes to the entire home buying process. We are not handy people and have no idea how worried to be or what we should do next. Any advice would be so gratefully received
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 17th Sep 19, 2:35 PM
    • 12,337 Posts
    • 16,841 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 17th Sep 19, 2:35 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 2:35 PM

The meter can be found in the garage. The consumer unit can be found in the ground floor W. C. The consumer unit contains RCDs (residual current devices) and MCBs (Miniature Circuit Breakers) to protect users should there be a defect with the installation. Where visible, the installation has been wired in plastic covered cable. There is no up-to-date test certificate for the electrical installation.
    The conservatory light fittings are missing and the garage fitting is connected to a plug socket. Both should be properly installed.

And then additional 3's are because they didn't have gas or electric certificates (which we are chasing to see if the vendors do have them and just didn't show them to the surveyor). I am a first time buyer and utterly out of my depth when it comes to the entire home buying process. We are not handy people and have no idea how worried to be or what we should do next. Any advice would be so gratefully received
    Originally posted by LauraS12
    Sellers are not required to provide gas or electric certificates - and it's not law that they should have them (unless renting the property out).

A surveyor will usually give them a 3 as they aren't electricians or gas engineers so it's just the usual @r$e-covering.

Might be worthwhile sending a simple email with numbered points to your solicitor - or arranging a short meeting to go through anything that's confusing you. And you can usually ring or contact the surveyor with any questions.
    2019 wins: Bottle of Prosecco; Popcorn Shed popcorn; Moisturising 'M&S Time Capsules'; Case of Boost Sport + 30 Just Eat voucher; Battle Proms tickets and hotel; under-eye serum...

"Should know better." Apparently.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 17th Sep 19, 5:16 PM
    • 8,618 Posts
    • 7,807 Thanks
    phill99
    • 17th Sep 19, 5:16 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 5:16 PM
    As above.

A Surveyors default setting for Gas and Electrical Installations is always a 3 as they are not qualified to comment on the safety or suitability of the systems. Therefore they are effectively 'passing the buck' and saying 'get someone to check it who is appropriately qualified'.

Homeowners are not legally obliged to have their gas installations tested annually (unlike rental properties) or their electrical installations tested. Asking the homeowner for these is like asking for rocking horse poo!!
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th Sep 19, 6:19 PM
    • 29,526 Posts
    • 102,356 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 17th Sep 19, 6:19 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 6:19 PM
    The only thing that would get my attention here is the suspect cavity wall insulation. If it's faulty it can be removed, but you need to establish whether it is first and whether it was installed with any CIGA guarantee. You need to ask the surveyor if he/she thinks the insulation is to blame; they may be more forthcoming verbally.

You can do more reading-up on this here and maybe even check the address against their database:

https://ciga.co.uk/

Sorry, I don't know a lot about the subject. There were plenty of suspect things about our property, but the CWI was fine.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 17-09-2019 at 6:22 PM.
    Opportunities may be missed, especially when they arrive disguised as hard work.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

780Posts Today

6,219Users online

Martin's Twitter