Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • noddynoo
    • By noddynoo 17th Sep 19, 9:28 AM
    • 342Posts
    • 97Thanks
    noddynoo
    Landlord and entering house
    • 17th Sep 19, 9:28 AM
    Landlord and entering house 17th Sep 19 at 9:28 AM
    Hi I rented a house a few years ago via PBricks and now we have moved out the 'landlord' doesn't want to give the deposit back even though we left the house spotless (there is evidence). Over the years we were there i asked for several things to be done and he never did them. He came round on many occasions and came in (I let him in) to collect mail etc and look at things and he was the only person we ever met etc. Now I find out when the case goes to be decided by adjudicators that he isn't the landlord or the house owner his wife is! SO all the times he came round as 'landlord' he wasn't. Was this legal? He is a very threatening character so i don't want to raise this unless I know what I'm talking about. He is African and has a very long difficult to spell name and I just assumed the name on the tenancy agreement was him as it is virtually identical to his name but PBricks now tell me he wasn't the landlord and I should never have corresponded with him but it was all done via their portal so who else could I have talked to? Thank you
Page 2
    • noddynoo
    • By noddynoo 17th Sep 19, 2:28 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    noddynoo
    God he wants my address now and PB have had to intervene and tell him to stop harassing me as he isn't the landlord They are dealing with her and she is saying nothing
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 17th Sep 19, 3:09 PM
    • 9,940 Posts
    • 11,961 Thanks
    Comms69
    He is Nigerian sorry. He is just making things difficult and the inventory shows that we entered a filthy house and left it clean. There will be no doubt about that But all the correspondence I had with him was as landlord and he wasn't. - he was YOUR landlord, regardless of who owned the house He never gave notice he just text and said he was coming. And within minutes he was there. he came into the house with me alone and tbh he could have been anyone. - so why on earth did you let him in?? Its fine I have a list of people who have been duped by him now after a very busy morning online and he is known to various bodies so I don't think I will have any trouble now getting the money I just would have preferred the easy way. Purplebricks never knew he was in contact with me or came round etc and came in as he got my number from a plumber who had done work in the house and started contacting me like that Yes its my fault but I am over 2k out of pocket currently and he is a crook who I could shop to the immigration people for his shoddy NHS fraud but I'd rather have my and a quiet life
    Originally posted by noddynoo

Are you basing your assertion on NHS fraud due to his nationality?
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 17th Sep 19, 3:10 PM
    • 9,940 Posts
    • 11,961 Thanks
    Comms69
    God he wants my address now and PB have had to intervene and tell him to stop harassing me as he isn't the landlord They are dealing with her and she is saying nothing

He is the landlord. Not sure how many times this has to be spelt out, the landlord is the person on your agreement.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 17th Sep 19, 3:20 PM
    • 2,726 Posts
    • 3,739 Thanks
    comeandgo
    He is the landlord. Not sure how many times this has to be spelt out, the landlord is the person on your agreement.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    As I understand it, it was not his name that was on the agreement but his wife's. OP made the mistake in thinking he was.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 17th Sep 19, 3:24 PM
    • 9,940 Posts
    • 11,961 Thanks
    Comms69
    As I understand it, it was not his name that was on the agreement but his wife's. OP made the mistake in thinking he was.
    Originally posted by comeandgo

Fair enough, landlord's husband, tbh just as likely to be authorised to act 'as' the landlord.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Sep 19, 3:56 PM
    • 49,662 Posts
    • 61,677 Thanks
    G_M
    1) what is the full name of the landlord named on the tenancy agreement?

2) what is the address in England or wales provided to you in writing ( on the tenancy agreement?) for 'serving of notices'? This is how/where you send official letters to your landord. If you have not been given one, you do not have to pay rent.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Sep 19, 4:33 PM
    • 24,940 Posts
    • 24,345 Thanks
    AdrianC
    1) what is the full name of the landlord named on the tenancy agreement?

2) what is the address in England or wales provided to you in writing ( on the tenancy agreement?) for 'serving of notices'? This is how/where you send official letters to your landord. If you have not been given one, you do not have to pay rent.
    Originally posted by G_M
    Umm, probably not ideal to post full name and address on here... I'm sure you just meant "Look at them on the tenancy", but...
    • noddynoo
    • By noddynoo 17th Sep 19, 5:33 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    noddynoo
    He was not authorised to act the agents have confirmed this. The address on teh landlord is c/o Purplebricks. I have his address as the neighbours gave it to me but have never sent anything there or been there even though it is literally a few streets away. i'm a bit scared of him. The agents have contacted him today and told him to stop messaging me
    • noddynoo
    • By noddynoo 17th Sep 19, 5:35 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    noddynoo
    He is not authorised to act he doesn't own the house and Purplebricks only know of him because of messages he has sent me which I forwarded to them.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 17th Sep 19, 7:27 PM
    • 49,662 Posts
    • 61,677 Thanks
    G_M
    Umm, probably not ideal to post full name and address on here... I'm sure you just meant "Look at them on the tenancy", but...
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Indeed. I could have phrased it better!

The address on teh landlord is c/o Purplebricks.
    If the address on the tenancy agreement 'for serving notices' is c/o purple bricks, then THAT IS WHERE YOU MUST SEND ALL FORMAL COMMUNICATION. By all means send copies elsewhere (his email if you have it, his address 'a few streets away', whatever, but you MUST use the official address provided by law for that purpose.

Since there seems to be some confusion as to who the LL actually is, again I refer you to the tenancy agreement (yes, of course don't post the name here!), but whatever name is used at the top of the agreement, that is your landlord.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 17th Sep 19, 7:37 PM
    • 9,940 Posts
    • 11,961 Thanks
    Comms69
    He is not authorised to act he doesn't own the house and Purplebricks only know of him because of messages he has sent me which I forwarded to them.

But purplebricks work for the landlord, who can nominate anyone he or she likes to act on their behalf - and they don't have to tell the agent this
    • noddynoo
    • By noddynoo 18th Sep 19, 12:50 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    noddynoo
    Thanks everyone I have been communicating with PB too. They have seen all his texts to me also and have said no further communication with him as they haven't been dealing with him. I vacated the property on August 25th as agreed but no one came to do a check out or collect keys. So we posted them through the door. The 'landlord' then organised his own check out on the 29th. I have now received a copy of it and it has my name on it like I was there. I rang the co. who carried it out and they said they did it unaccompanied as he didn't show up either. So even though there was a moving in inventory the check out clerk never saw it and every section just says 'not available' or refer to LL . Its such a nightmare but have sent everything to the deposit company and hope they see sense. He has definitely been in since we left as photos show things we didn't do and neighbours have confirmed they have seen him. He wants the cash and will do what he can to get it. I thought these people only existed in the Daily Mail
    • noddynoo
    • By noddynoo 18th Sep 19, 12:52 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    noddynoo
    But purplebricks work for the landlord, who can nominate anyone he or she likes to act on their behalf - and they don't have to tell the agent this
    This is not what PB have told me. He has been coming into the house without notice and collecting mail etc He could have been anyone
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 18th Sep 19, 12:53 PM
    • 9,940 Posts
    • 11,961 Thanks
    Comms69
    This is not what PB have told me. He has been coming into the house without notice and collecting mail etc He could have been anyone

Well they are wrong.

They work for the landlord. Not the other way around.
    • noddynoo
    • By noddynoo 18th Sep 19, 12:59 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    noddynoo
    Well they are wrong.

They work for the landlord. Not the other way around.
    Yes I know they work for the landlord but over the 3 years this man has been acting like landlord WITHOUT permission from anyone. The actual landlord had no idea he was messaging us and coming round
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 18th Sep 19, 1:18 PM
    • 9,940 Posts
    • 11,961 Thanks
    Comms69
    Yes I know they work for the landlord but over the 3 years this man has been acting like landlord WITHOUT permission from anyone. The actual landlord had no idea he was messaging us and coming round

The wife had no idea her husband was going round?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th Sep 19, 1:44 PM
    • 49,662 Posts
    • 61,677 Thanks
    G_M
    .....I vacated the property on August 25th as agreed but no one came to do a check out or collect keys. So we posted them through the door. The 'landlord' then organised his own check out on the 29th. I have now received a copy of it and it has my name on it like I was there. I rang the co. who carried it out and they said they did it unaccompanied as he didn't show up either. So even though there was a moving in inventory the check out clerk never saw it and every section just says 'not available' or refer to LL . Its such a nightmare but have sent everything to the deposit company and hope they see sense. He has definitely been in since we left as photos show things we didn't do and neighbours have confirmed they have seen him. He wants the cash and will do what he can to get it. I thought these people only existed in the Daily Mail
    * The check out clerk does not need to see the check in inventory - his job is simply to record the condition as he finds it.
    * it is normal for the tenant not to be present.
    * it is normal for the landlord to not be present.

How does the check-out ispection compare toyour copy of the check-in inventory? That is what matters and that is (primarily) what the deposit scheme arbitrators will look at.

As for 3 years with someone coming into your home- whether the landlord, his wife or someone else? Well you've had 3 years to change the locks and/or write to the LL instructing him to stop, so I don't understand why this is now an issue....
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 18th Sep 19, 3:42 PM
    • 1,989 Posts
    • 3,318 Thanks
    Slithery
    Yes I know they work for the landlord but over the 3 years this man has been acting like landlord WITHOUT permission from anyone.
    Are you certain that his wife (the property owner) didn't give him permission to manage the property on her behalf as well as PB? That's all that's legally required and the owner has no responsibility to inform PB about another agent (although it would have been useful).
    • noddynoo
    • By noddynoo 19th Sep 19, 8:34 AM
    • 342 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    noddynoo
    I have had 3 years to change the locks? I thought he was the landlord! am not sure if his wife knew or not PB say she didn't and I am only to deal with her now via them and that's what I am doing
    • noddynoo
    • By noddynoo 19th Sep 19, 8:35 AM
    • 342 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    noddynoo
    Are you certain that his wife (the property owner) didn't give him permission to manage the property on her behalf as well as PB? That's all that's legally required and the owner has no responsibility to inform PB about another agent (although it would have been useful).
    Originally posted by Slithery
    It seems like she didn't know Or is saying she didn't
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,675Posts Today

7,703Users online

Martin's Twitter