Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • De_
    • By De_ 16th Sep 19, 5:24 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    De_
    Cancelling A Direct Debit
    • 16th Sep 19, 5:24 PM
    Cancelling A Direct Debit 16th Sep 19 at 5:24 PM
    I signed up for a yell product which was supposed to drive traffic to my website. In hindsight, it has done absolutely nothing. I believe I was missold when I received a call from one of their sales reps. Obviously this counts as a B2B business contract, however, it is not a registered business and it is literally just a website, with no physical premesis. I also gave them a fake address for my 'business address' (not to spite them, just so that my home address wasnt exposed on the internet)

Unfortunately the contract is a 12 month contract and there was no cooling off period when I signed up. I was supposed to receive support and follow up phone calls from them but they have done absolutely nothing. The only thing they did was create a shoddy Facebook page for me which took them all of 5 seconds, which I hardly think is worth the 50 per month I am paying them.

So my question is, if I were to cancel my direct debit with them prematurely, what would be the repercussions? I have heard from others posting online that they may send debt collectors, however, i gave them a fake address. Obviously from a moral standpoint, I would have no qualms about doing this.
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 16th Sep 19, 5:39 PM
    • 4,659 Posts
    • 6,247 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 16th Sep 19, 5:39 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 5:39 PM
    I signed up for a yell product which was supposed to drive traffic to my website. In hindsight, it has done absolutely nothing. I believe I was missold when I received a call from one of their sales reps. Obviously this counts as a B2B business contract, however, it is not a registered business and it is literally just a website, with no physical premesis. I also gave them a fake address for my 'business address' (not to spite them, just so that my home address wasnt exposed on the internet)

Unfortunately the contract is a 12 month contract and there was no cooling off period when I signed up. I was supposed to receive support and follow up phone calls from them but they have done absolutely nothing. The only thing they did was create a shoddy Facebook page for me which took them all of 5 seconds, which I hardly think is worth the 50 per month I am paying them.

So my question is, if I were to cancel my direct debit with them prematurely, what would be the repercussions? I have heard from others posting online that they may send debt collectors, however, i gave them a fake address. Obviously from a moral standpoint, I would have no qualms about doing this.
    Originally posted by De_
    To be honest, you sound made for each other. You gave them a fake address and are now critical of their business practices.

Don't cancel the DD. You need to formally cancel the contract, citing the reasons why - I.e. that they've breached the terms of the contract (although they might counter-claim that you have done the same by giving a false address). All correspondence should be done by letter in case it ends up 'going legal', although quite how you're going to do that to and from a fake address is beyond me.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Sep 19, 5:41 PM
    • 24,746 Posts
    • 14,282 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 16th Sep 19, 5:41 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 5:41 PM
    So my question is, if I were to cancel my direct debit with them prematurely, what would be the repercussions? I have heard from others posting online that they may send debt collectors, however, i gave them a fake address.
    Originally posted by De_
    Did you also give them a fake bank account?

If not, I'm pretty sure you can still be traced by someone determined enough.

Debt collectors would probably fit that description...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,393Users online

Martin's Twitter