Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jackiearch
    • By jackiearch 16th Sep 19, 9:21 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jackiearch
    Is it possible to pen a bank account without my husband knowing?
    • 16th Sep 19, 9:21 AM
    Is it possible to pen a bank account without my husband knowing? 16th Sep 19 at 9:21 AM
    Hi, i know i can go paperless billing but what other options are to be considered? It doesn't need to be a savings account because not a great deal of money will be deposited. I have been looking but there are so many different accounts!
    Thank you.
Page 1
    • jen49
    • By jen49 16th Sep 19, 9:36 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    jen49
    • 16th Sep 19, 9:36 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 9:36 AM
    Hi, i know i can go paperless billing but what other options are to be considered? It doesn't need to be a savings account because not a great deal of money will be deposited. I have been looking but there are so many different accounts!
    Thank you.
    Originally posted by jackiearch
    Of course you can open a bank account the only thing that would sent to your address would be the welcome letter from the bank you choose, bank card and online access password.
    • Rich1976
    • By Rich1976 16th Sep 19, 9:37 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    Rich1976
    • 16th Sep 19, 9:37 AM
    Yes you can open an account in your own name with any bank
    • colsten
    • By colsten 16th Sep 19, 9:37 AM
    • 11,066 Posts
    • 10,357 Thanks
    colsten
    Apart from the bank, nobody, including your husband, would know that you applied for an account. However, you might receive some paperwork in the post, which might be an issue for you.

Banks will usually send an annual paper statement, even if you are on paperless. You could try one of the fintech outfits, though - Starling or Monzo. Mind you, they'd also send you some snail mail, such as your debit card.

Another alternative could be a passbook-only savings account with a Building Society. Again, however, they don't come with a guarantee that you wouldn't receive snail mail from them.

Your reasons for wanting to keep an account secret are obviously personal to you but if it is anything to do with financial abuse and/or control, please seek the help of one of the organisations mentioned here.
    • jackiearch
    • By jackiearch 16th Sep 19, 10:00 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jackiearch
    • 16th Sep 19, 10:00 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 10:00 AM
    Many thanks for your quick responses and comments. Appreciated, thank you.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 16th Sep 19, 10:53 AM
    • 10,184 Posts
    • 35,639 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 16th Sep 19, 10:53 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 10:53 AM
    If you already have joint financial products, I don't know if a new sole product might appear on a credit check? (Shouldn't logically - would like to know though.)

In which case a certain amount of hiding in plain sight amongst reviewing mobile phone providers, internet service providers & so forth might help - or trigger what are you doing conversations.

With a passport & driving licence you should be able to open most accounts with most banks but it can all take time Some Banks require appointments etc.
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 16-09-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 16th Sep 19, 12:31 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    Ergates
    • 16th Sep 19, 12:31 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 12:31 PM
    Thank you.
    The bank will need your address and will probably send you a letter.

However, it *should* be possible to set up an account with a different correspondence* address to your home address where the bank will send any letters/cards/etc. This could be a friend or relative that you trust (and can get to).

*Different banks may call it different things.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 16th Sep 19, 1:34 PM
    • 11,066 Posts
    • 10,357 Thanks
    colsten
    • 16th Sep 19, 1:34 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 1:34 PM

However, it *should* be possible to set up an account with a different correspondence* address to your home address where the bank will send any letters/cards/etc. This could be a friend or relative that you trust (and can get to).
    Originally posted by Ergates
    Which current / savings account providers do offer this?
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 16th Sep 19, 1:38 PM
    • 2,732 Posts
    • 3,755 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 16th Sep 19, 1:38 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 1:38 PM
    Tell the bank you want no post at all. I had an account that my then husband knew nothing about.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 16th Sep 19, 2:43 PM
    • 1,845 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    18cc
    You could try a Monzo (app only - smartphone) account - from memory I had no letters from them at all. Once open, change the address to eg a friend just in case they send anything.

You could also go into any bank branch and ask them if they are able to do what you want.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 16th Sep 19, 3:40 PM
    • 11,066 Posts
    • 10,357 Thanks
    colsten
    You could try a Monzo (app only - smartphone) account - from memory I had no letters from them at all.
    Originally posted by 18cc
    Out of interest, how did you get hold of your Monzo debit card?

Once open, change the address to eg a friend just in case they send anything.
    What would you do if they asked you to provide proof that you live at the address?
    • repechage
    • By repechage 16th Sep 19, 4:21 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    repechage
    If you do use a different address for correspondence, itís possible that this address will appear in the online identity checks that banks do based on credit records and not just for you but also for your spouse.

If itís an address that means nothing to him then it may not matter, although he may wonder why heís failing the identity check.

I say this because my mother has had something similar happen. My mother and father had joint accounts and financial products. My father left. Years later my mother will still sometimes have his new address appear as one of the addresses associated with her in the options to choose for confirmation of identity.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 16th Sep 19, 6:31 PM
    • 1,845 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    18cc
    yes true - my monzo debit card arrived in the post. luckily my wife was out at the time.....
    • londoninvestor
    • By londoninvestor 16th Sep 19, 6:34 PM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 1,175 Thanks
    londoninvestor
    yes true - my monzo debit card arrived in the post. luckily my wife was out at the time.....
    When I opened my Metro account, I had the card printed in the branch. In fact at the time of account opening, I don't think I got anything at all in the post.

However when the card expired, the replacement came in the post. So it's pretty difficult to guarantee getting no post ever for an account. A savings account without a card might be a better bet though.
    • d123
    • By d123 16th Sep 19, 7:04 PM
    • 8,061 Posts
    • 5,261 Thanks
    d123
    Thank you.
    Starling Bank, the only thing you’ll get in the post is the card and that arrived in a plain envelope iirc.

In the year and a half I’ve been with then I’ve never had any other post from them, not even junk mail.

You can also use the Post Office to carry out your banking with Starling.
    ====
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 17th Sep 19, 6:50 PM
    • 2,900 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    surreysaver
    Would it not be possible to pick any correspondence, including cards, up at a specified branch?
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,877Posts Today

8,462Users online

Martin's Twitter