Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jammezz
    • By Jammezz 16th Sep 19, 6:23 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Jammezz
    Canít complete says my solicitor
    • 16th Sep 19, 6:23 AM
    Canít complete says my solicitor 16th Sep 19 at 6:23 AM
    Hello, recently me and our partner bought a brand new home in Belfast. As we are both young first time buyers with a big deposit we were flying through the process.

We have our offer and weíre told the paperwork is all ready to be signed then we arranged to go meet the solicitor to discuss a completion date. On the morning we were meant to go see them we got an email saying that an issue has risen in relation to the NHBC insurance. We took it on the chin and thought it would be resolved soon. Nearly a month later we havenít heard a peep and every time I try to phone the solicitor or estate agent they dilly dally on the phone and donít give me any answers.

Weíre currently living out of 1 bedroom at my partners parents house with everything packed ready to go but we have no idea how long this will take to be resolved. We have no idea whoís responsible for the insurance or how long it takes to get cover. But as it stands we feel like we were at the finish line now weíre living week to week just waiting for an email. Does anyone have any information or advice? Thank you.
Page 1
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 16th Sep 19, 6:29 AM
    • 12,894 Posts
    • 28,689 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    • 16th Sep 19, 6:29 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 6:29 AM
    What have the builders got to say about it?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Sep 19, 6:48 AM
    • 29,557 Posts
    • 102,437 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 16th Sep 19, 6:48 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 6:48 AM
    It takes minutes to get insurance cover for a house, but the NHBC scheme isn't the same as buildings insurance anyone can buy.

There's probably a problem between the NHBC and your builder, and if so, it's not something you or your solicitor can influence or resolve. Your solicitor may not know the time scale for resolution either, but they should be able to tell you what the issue is.

Besides you, the solicitor is also acting for your lender and they won't let the purchase proceed if a promised NHBC guarantee cannot be issued for some reason. It might not feel like it, but they are protecting your interests.

Have you actually exchanged contracts on this house, or is the signed paperwork waiting for this matter to be sorted out before that happens?
    Opportunities may be missed, especially when they arrive disguised as hard work.

• eddddy
    • By eddddy 16th Sep 19, 6:53 AM
    • 8,565 Posts
    • 8,869 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 16th Sep 19, 6:53 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 6:53 AM
    An NHBC inspector will do a final inspection of the property, before signing it off and issuing insurance (and mortgage lenders will not release funds until this happens).

So it's possible that the NHBC found problems with the final inspection.

If that's the case, the time taken to fix them will depend on what the problems are.

You can ask the developer for an update, but I doubt they'll 'own up' to any mistakes they've made, so you might not get much helpful info.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Sep 19, 8:27 AM
    • 24,982 Posts
    • 24,403 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 16th Sep 19, 8:27 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 8:27 AM
    The problem is not explicitly with the NHBC cover - if it was just up to you, you could say "Soddit", and just decide to resolve that post-purchase.

The problem is that your lender won't release the money until it's resolved - because the property needs to be good security for their money. Remember, your solicitor also acts for your lender.

So can you talk to the lender, and find out whether there's any way they can soften their requirement? Why's the guarantee being delayed? Is Edddddddddy right that it's down to issues with the property? If so, the paperwork is the least of your issues.
    • Jammezz
    • By Jammezz 16th Sep 19, 8:58 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Jammezz
    • 16th Sep 19, 8:58 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 8:58 AM
    The builders were contacted via email but they havenít got back to me, I donít want to push them however, as a tradesman myself I know they can cause hidden issues if they felt I was being a nightmare.
    • Jammezz
    • By Jammezz 16th Sep 19, 9:02 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Jammezz
    • 16th Sep 19, 9:02 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 9:02 AM
    The paperwork is waiting for us and contracts havenít been exchanged, however there is 6 houses all in the same boat as nobody else has been able to move in either for the same reason. Iím trying to figure out why £1mil worth of property isnít a bigger concern for them. Also I donít know if the issues they may have hit are large or small scale or on which houses.
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 16th Sep 19, 9:47 AM
    • 737 Posts
    • 3,243 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    • 16th Sep 19, 9:47 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 9:47 AM
    Is it a cladding issue? That's a common issue with new builds at the moment. After Grenfell, the government released strict guidelines on the fire safety of cladding, and a lot of new builds are not currently able to provide certificates, so a lot of banks won't lend.
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    £350 Natwest Credit Card / ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0£500 train ticket loan from parents / Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)£2,000 Overdraft Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 16th Sep 19, 10:56 AM
    • 31,446 Posts
    • 19,490 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 16th Sep 19, 10:56 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 10:56 AM
    however, as a tradesman myself I know they can cause hidden issues if they felt I was being a nightmare.
    How very sinister!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 16th Sep 19, 11:48 AM
    • 49,709 Posts
    • 61,725 Thanks
    G_M
    Start looking at other properties. On different developments.
    • Jammezz
    • By Jammezz 16th Sep 19, 12:12 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Jammezz
    Unfortunately this does happen, Iíve seen a few of my former bosses be ripped off and yelled at by customers who wanted everything for free and usually they would take any opportunity to cause that customer grief as ďrevenge of sortsĒ
    • phill99
    • By phill99 16th Sep 19, 12:44 PM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 7,822 Thanks
    phill99
    Am I the only one that read the original post with a Northern Irish Accent?
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 16th Sep 19, 12:51 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    pattypan4
    It can take a long time to get the nhbc buildmark certificate and your solicitor is right to hold back. We had to wait for sewer adoptions and all in all it took 8 months for me as a cash buyer. I was ok to wait as it was in the end for my benefit
    • Jammezz
    • By Jammezz 16th Sep 19, 1:52 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Jammezz
    I hope not! Iím from Glasgow and moved to Belfast a few years back 😂
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 16th Sep 19, 2:02 PM
    • 65,001 Posts
    • 57,311 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Are the properties ready for occupation?
    ďIf the financial system has a defect, it is that it reflects and magnifies what we human beings are like. Money amplifies our tendency to overreact, to swing from exuberance when things are going well to deep depression when they go wrong. Booms and busts are products, at root, of our emotional volatility.Ē
    ― Niall Ferguson
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Sep 19, 2:31 PM
    • 67,259 Posts
    • 394,244 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Has anybody else moved in?

I'd be driving round there to check if anybody else has moved in, then bang on their door and ask when and if they had a problem; if they had a problem what was the problem, how was it fixed?
    • Jammezz
    • By Jammezz 16th Sep 19, 3:22 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Jammezz
    Roughly have the houses have been moved in but the second half of us are having this problem. The houses are ready for occupation but weíre on on hold for the same reason. All I can get out of the builder is that the insurance is being worked on.
    • Jammezz
    • By Jammezz 17th Sep 19, 7:52 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Jammezz
    Update: the delay has been caused by the old developer going into administration and the NHBC insurance needs transferred over to the new builder however long this process takes
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,398Posts Today

9,066Users online

Martin's Twitter