Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vikkiew
    • By vikkiew 15th Sep 19, 12:44 AM
    • 50Posts
    • 13Thanks
    vikkiew
    Helen Skelton's bank refunding scam as goodwill gesture
    • 15th Sep 19, 12:44 AM
    Helen Skelton's bank refunding scam as goodwill gesture 15th Sep 19 at 12:44 AM
    Over the last week or so Helen Skelton has been on various TV programmes including a dedicated documentary recounting how she lost money to a scam. The details of the case aren't too important in brief a simple email scam of an "overdue TV license". I was intrigued and initially sympathetic and supportive of her "campaign" to raise awareness of "increasingly complex scams anybody can be victim to" but as I watched the programme it quickly became clear this wasn't one such example. It was not a complex scam and she would not be getting her money back. Except at the very end of the programme it was stated she would be getting the money back now as a "goodwill" gesture from her bank.

It has left me thinking this is wrong. Her using her platform doesn't bother me but this is at the expense of others. Indirectly we are all paying for this refund. The system should protect against complex scams not accommodate people's naivety.
Page 1
    • Joe9090
    • By Joe9090 15th Sep 19, 4:43 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Joe9090
    • 15th Sep 19, 4:43 AM
    • 15th Sep 19, 4:43 AM
    I watched that programme.

Are you sure the refund was given as a goodwill gesture?
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 15th Sep 19, 5:46 AM
    • 3,259 Posts
    • 5,837 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 15th Sep 19, 5:46 AM
    • 15th Sep 19, 5:46 AM
    Think of it as coming out of the bank’s PR budget
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 15th Sep 19, 5:58 AM
    • 10,798 Posts
    • 16,992 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 15th Sep 19, 5:58 AM
    • 15th Sep 19, 5:58 AM
    Who is Helen Skelton? Is there a link to this program on iPlayer etc?
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 15th Sep 19, 6:18 AM
    • 2,816 Posts
    • 2,390 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    • 15th Sep 19, 6:18 AM
    • 15th Sep 19, 6:18 AM
    Seemed VERY coincidenctal, to me at least, that she was fully refunded within hours of the programme going on air - months after the incident occurred.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 15th Sep 19, 7:57 AM
    • 6,416 Posts
    • 2,774 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 15th Sep 19, 7:57 AM
    • 15th Sep 19, 7:57 AM
    "If I can get scammed anyone can", she says! No, I wouldn't, nor would most of us.
    Why was this news weeks ago, then again in the dm.still she got the result she wanted, none of us ordinary people would.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 15th Sep 19, 8:03 AM
    • 11,012 Posts
    • 10,294 Thanks
    colsten
    • 15th Sep 19, 8:03 AM
    • 15th Sep 19, 8:03 AM
    If I was Helen Skelton, I'd have kept shtum, rather than expose myself as an airhead.
    • karlie88
    • By karlie88 15th Sep 19, 9:29 AM
    • 8,837 Posts
    • 108,244 Thanks
    karlie88
    • 15th Sep 19, 9:29 AM
    • 15th Sep 19, 9:29 AM
    Who is Helen Skelton? Is there a link to this program on iPlayer etc?
    Originally posted by worried jim
    https://www.itv.com/hub/tonight/
    Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member
    • luvsmoothies
    • By luvsmoothies 15th Sep 19, 10:36 AM
    • 577 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    luvsmoothies
    • 15th Sep 19, 10:36 AM
    • 15th Sep 19, 10:36 AM
    TV work obviously pays very well.
    • born again
    • By born again 15th Sep 19, 1:02 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    born again
    Her using her platform doesn't bother me but this is at the expense of others. Indirectly we are all paying for this refund. The system should protect against complex scams not accommodate people's naivety.
    Originally posted by vikkiew
    Not sure which bank she uses. But many have signed up to the "We will refund you" even if you have been stupid....

Most of these are so well publicised that people should be aware.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48385426
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 15th Sep 19, 1:11 PM
    • 10,798 Posts
    • 16,992 Thanks
    worried jim
    Thanks! Looks interesting and will watch when home.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 15th Sep 19, 4:27 PM
    • 6,441 Posts
    • 2,974 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Some rich kid gets scammed out of 70K who probably earns more than that per year to start with. Yet I bet folk on low incomes who may get scammed out of 500 or 1K will have a harder job getting it refunded.
    • hoc
    • By hoc 16th Sep 19, 3:45 AM
    • 309 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    hoc
    "The 36-year-old Countryfile presenter has said she was "embarrassed" about falling for a trick in which she was informed of suspicious activity on her bank account and led her to revealing details that saw her life savings being taken.

Helen revealed that she was sucked in by the trap because the caller seemed so 'nice and genuine' about a scam that had allegedly happened on her account. She has decided to share the full details of her experience in a documentary for ITV, so that others can see how easy it is to fall into the fraudsters' trap."
    Em no it's not that easy, your bank won't call or text you and ask for you to confirm your security details. This should now be common knowledge in 2019 if not already common sense.

"The nature of the deception also meant that Helen was not entitled to any of her money back, and this left her deeply upset."
    Obviously. Just as you shouldn't get your money back if you fall for a Nigerian prince/widow/lottery winner email scam either.

"The good news for Helen is that the Financial Ombudsman and Action Fraud the UKs national reporting centre for fraud and cybercrime has learned that her bank, as a gesture of goodwill, they have refunded around 90 per cent of her lost money but not everyone will be quite so lucky. Helen admitted: "I know Im very lucky. I had a lot of support but I also really had to push. Not everyone is able to do that."
    I would have said she should donate this to charity given she probably made half that amount just making the documentary which pressured the bank into paying and between her TV career and her husband's professional sports she doesn't need to use her name for what is her own fault. Except apparently this 70K was "her entire life savings...it was for her kids". She seems to be very bad with money in that case. I wish her the best of luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,004Posts Today

7,634Users online

Martin's Twitter