Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Simonpixley
    • By Simonpixley 14th Sep 19, 12:30 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Simonpixley
    0 WOW
    Hire car flooded in Murcia
    • 14th Sep 19, 12:30 PM
    0 WOW
    Hire car flooded in Murcia 14th Sep 19 at 12:30 PM
    We were caught in the recent flooding in Murcia and we were advised by the hotel (Double Tree, Hilton) to park our hire car in the underground car park and not on the street the day before the big flood. We did so and then we couldn't get our car back as the entire car park was submerged in water. It's going to take 2 weeks to pump the water out and to get the car back. I have a letter from the hotel explaining that they had the car in the car park the day of the flood. They have signed and stamped this. We had the standard insurance with 850 excess. My question is, am I liable for the 850 excess and if I do have to pay it, can I claim it back on the hotels insurance?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 14th Sep 19, 12:45 PM
    • 35,636 Posts
    • 41,790 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 14th Sep 19, 12:45 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 12:45 PM
    Yes you need to pay the excess

Not sure if you can claim from the hotel , depends on Spanish insurance rules , if it's termed out of the hotels control or their negligence
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 14th Sep 19, 2:06 PM
    • 2,856 Posts
    • 1,422 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 14th Sep 19, 2:06 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 2:06 PM
    Perhaps you can make a claim via your car hire excess policy?
    Any reason why you didn't ask your car hire company advice on what to do, the day before?
    • Simonpixley
    • By Simonpixley 18th Sep 19, 11:12 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Simonpixley
    • 18th Sep 19, 11:12 AM
    • 18th Sep 19, 11:12 AM
    I spoke to the hire car conpany and they said they would call me back as this had happened to alot of people. I then spoke to the rental company at the airport and they had no log of my original call.
    I explained everything and they said they would look in to it but they didn't charge me the excess. Fingers crossed that's the end of it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

196Posts Today

1,523Users online

Martin's Twitter