Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jud12345
    • By Jud12345 13th Sep 19, 7:24 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Jud12345
    4th time in a year 1st class parcel has been late.
    • 13th Sep 19, 7:24 PM
    4th time in a year 1st class parcel has been late. 13th Sep 19 at 7:24 PM
    This is getting quite frustrating now, nearly every time i have to use royal mail first class for parcels it is taking a week, never in a reasonable time frame. The most recent thing i ordered was dispatched Monday morning, still hasn't come. It must of happened about 4 to 5 times this year now, every time i complain and get the same excuses, every time the same stress and anxiety, same with second class. It is only a small parcel too seeing as its only a hat.

Thing is, it doesn't seem to happen with other members of my family, they get stuff in a reasonable time frame most times. Could someone try explain what may be happening because this driving me mental to be honest. cheers.
Page 1
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 13th Sep 19, 7:46 PM
    • 11,191 Posts
    • 12,754 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 13th Sep 19, 7:46 PM
    • 13th Sep 19, 7:46 PM
    They are not actually being delivered late simply because there is no guaranteed delivery time with 1st or 2nd class mail.
    All that RM state is that they aim to deliver the next day, this doesn't always happen.

How long before the "you are all Royal Mail employees" comment?
    Last edited by shaun from Africa; 14-09-2019 at 7:13 PM.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th Sep 19, 7:55 PM
    • 35,054 Posts
    • 22,157 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 13th Sep 19, 7:55 PM
    • 13th Sep 19, 7:55 PM
    Stress and anxiety from a hat being delivered late.
    • born again
    • By born again 13th Sep 19, 9:29 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    born again
    • 13th Sep 19, 9:29 PM
    • 13th Sep 19, 9:29 PM
    Might depend on where you live.

If you need something fast then you will have to pay for 24/48 hour delivery.
    • Jud12345
    • By Jud12345 14th Sep 19, 6:27 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jud12345
    • 14th Sep 19, 6:27 AM
    • 14th Sep 19, 6:27 AM
    They are not actually being delivered late simply because there is no guaranteed delivery time with 1st or 2nd class mail.
    All that RM state is that they aim to deliver the next day, this doesn't always happen.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    They are the biggest mail carrier in the UK, they have a duty to deliver items whatever it may be in a reasonable time frame, making someone have to wait a week in there house and have to cancel everything else is not acceptable. I don't give a toss what there corporate lingo says, just so they can cover there own backs.

Even postmen i have talked to are saying it is getting ridiculous, and that they feel the system is letting the public down. I don't blame the postman on the street, i blame the management and the lack of money put in to modernize the service.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 14th Sep 19, 6:49 AM
    • 13,708 Posts
    • 9,442 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 14th Sep 19, 6:49 AM
    • 14th Sep 19, 6:49 AM
    They are the biggest mail carrier in the UK, they have a duty to deliver items whatever it may be in a reasonable time frame,
    Originally posted by Jud12345
    If you want a guaranteed delivery then you need to buy a guaranteed service. Quite simple.

making someone have to wait a week in there house and have to cancel everything else is not acceptable.
    Bizarre.
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 14th Sep 19, 7:15 AM
    • 3,445 Posts
    • 4,634 Thanks
    George Michael
    • 14th Sep 19, 7:15 AM
    • 14th Sep 19, 7:15 AM
    They are the biggest mail carrier in the UK, they have a duty to deliver items whatever it may be in a reasonable time frame, making someone have to wait a week in there house and have to cancel everything else is not acceptable. I don't give a toss what there corporate lingo says, just so they can cover there own backs.
    The majority of 1st class mail does get delivered within a reasonable time frame.
    As already stated by others, 1st class delivery the next day is an aim and not a guarantee and if you want or need a guaranteed next day delivery then this is available but at a higher price.
    • Jud12345
    • By Jud12345 14th Sep 19, 7:22 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jud12345
    • 14th Sep 19, 7:22 AM
    • 14th Sep 19, 7:22 AM
    Yeah like i said, its not unreasonable to expect something in a reasonable time frame, and advertising something as 1-3 days then providing a completely different service is deception, end of.

I didn't have the option or money to get a guaranteed service (not everyone is well off) and nothing said refutes what i have said.

Instead of saying it will arrive in 1-3 days they should state it will take 5-7 instead, on the actual page not buried within the terms and conditions, also not call it ''first class'' because it is not a first class service.

I am not the only person complaining about this and this is not an uncommon occurrence anymore.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 14th Sep 19, 7:42 AM
    • 35,630 Posts
    • 41,779 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 14th Sep 19, 7:42 AM
    • 14th Sep 19, 7:42 AM
    RM next day delivery is guaranteed

Not sure why you think otherwise.

Never had a failed delivery using it
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 14th Sep 19, 7:43 AM
    • 12,834 Posts
    • 28,491 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Never had a problem myself with Royal Mail.

Now Yodel and Hermes that is another matter altogether...........
    • Jud12345
    • By Jud12345 14th Sep 19, 7:47 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jud12345
    I have said all i can now, many people are not happy with what is going on and the only thing what can be done is to complain to royal mail themselves, through letter and email, i have done this before and a parcel strangely turned up at half 7 in the morning next day.

It is probably a problem with my delivery office, the postmen i have spoken to are not happy either as i have stated as they are the ones who get the flack even though it is really more poor management and the lack of willingness to hire more staff(i am smarter than just blaming the postie, he is the last link in the chain)

I cannot imagine royal mail existing in the future if things keep going as they are, unless big improvements are made, and can be made more accountable.
    • Jud12345
    • By Jud12345 14th Sep 19, 7:56 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jud12345
    RM next day delivery is guaranteed

Not sure why you think otherwise.

Never had a failed delivery using it
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Because i have actually had this happen myself? when receiving and sending off parcels special delivery. I always send parcels special delivery if i have to use royal mail, many times making myself out of pocket ( i am an average working class bloke and not well off whatsoever). Not everyone is willing to do this, but i care about people receiving there items in a timely manner.

I have had problems with hermes and yodel few years ago but they have improved in my area, royal mail have gone downhill big time since privatization. It is a shame because i would rather support unionized workers but what is happening is not good for my mental health.
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 14th Sep 19, 7:57 AM
    • 524 Posts
    • 912 Thanks
    couriervanman
    This is getting quite frustrating now, nearly every time i have to use royal mail first class for parcels it is taking a week, never in a reasonable time frame. The most recent thing i ordered was dispatched Monday morning, still hasn't come. It must of happened about 4 to 5 times this year now, every time i complain and get the same excuses, every time the same stress and anxiety, same with second class. It is only a small parcel too seeing as its only a hat.

Thing is, it doesn't seem to happen with other members of my family, they get stuff in a reasonable time frame most times. Could someone try explain what may be happening because this driving me mental to be honest. cheers.
    Loads of companies will say dispatched Monday morning .........which means its down in the post room waiting to be picked up by Royal Mail,which might not be until 4-5 pm.Meaning depending on how long it takes to get back to depot it might not go anywhere till Tuesday.
    Last edited by couriervanman; 14-09-2019 at 7:59 AM.
    • Jud12345
    • By Jud12345 14th Sep 19, 8:01 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jud12345
    South Yorkshire, not anywhere out of the way. I trust the seller has sent the item because i have used him before.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 14th Sep 19, 8:01 AM
    • 62,688 Posts
    • 45,096 Thanks
    soolin
    The latest figures I can find from Royal Mail say:

Although we aim to deliver 93% of 1st Class mail the next working day after posting, we are unable to provide a guaranteed service.

Which of course means 7% of 1st class mail does not arrive next day.

OP as has been said above this is not a guaranteed service, and whilst I understand your stress just remember you don't have to stay in for a RM delivery as they retain it for 3 weeks if you miss delivery and you can either collect from a mail centre or have it redelivered on a day of your choice. Both those options are better than the service offered by most couriers.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • soolin
    • By soolin 14th Sep 19, 8:04 AM
    • 62,688 Posts
    • 45,096 Thanks
    soolin
    Because i have actually had this happen myself? when receiving and sending off parcels special delivery. I always send parcels special delivery if i have to use royal mail, many times making myself out of pocket ( i am an average working class bloke and not well off whatsoever). Not everyone is willing to do this, but i care about people receiving there items in a timely manner.

I have had problems with hermes and yodel few years ago but they have improved in my area, royal mail have gone downhill big time since privatization. It is a shame because i would rather support unionized workers but what is happening is not good for my mental health.
    Special delivery IS a guaranteed service, if it doesn't arrive next day you can reclaim the cost of the postage. There are some conditions, mainly timing (my local PO for instance requires special delivery to be with them for 4.30pm to qualify) and some Highlands and Islands have the guarantee extended to 2 days.

Special also has a higher compensation limit so is required for higher value items NHS like precious metal, which are not covered by standard or signed for mail.
    Last edited by soolin; 14-09-2019 at 8:10 AM.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 14th Sep 19, 8:07 AM
    • 12,834 Posts
    • 28,491 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    I have said all i can now, many people are not happy with what is going on and the only thing what can be done is to complain to royal mail themselves, through letter and email, i have done this before and a parcel strangely turned up at half 7 in the morning next day.

It is probably a problem with my delivery office, the postmen i have spoken to are not happy either as i have stated as they are the ones who get the flack even though it is really more poor management and the lack of willingness to hire more staff(i am smarter than just blaming the postie, he is the last link in the chain)

I cannot imagine royal mail existing in the future if things keep going as they are, unless big improvements are made, and can be made more accountable.

You are not making much sense.

You started off by saying that it does not happen to your family only you and have ended up saying you cannot imagine that they will exist in the future?

Why would that be when it is only happening to you?
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 14th Sep 19, 8:30 AM
    • 13,515 Posts
    • 10,104 Thanks
    neilmcl
    If only there was a specific forum section for venting
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Sep 19, 11:33 AM
    • 13,099 Posts
    • 14,887 Thanks
    davidmcn
    OP, what advice are you wanting? As already pointed out, there's a more appropriate forum if all you wanted was a rant.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 14th Sep 19, 11:41 AM
    • 12,834 Posts
    • 28,491 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    ]OP, what advice are you wanting[/B]? As already pointed out, there's a more appropriate forum if all you wanted was a rant.
    by davidmcn;76272434[B
    I think we all know the answer to that.

Why anyone bothers anymore after the swearing and abusive nature of their replies is beyond me.
    Last edited by POPPYOSCAR; 14-09-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,179Posts Today

6,895Users online

Martin's Twitter