Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Isembard
    • By Isembard 9th Sep 19, 7:44 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Isembard
    "Non-refundable" service plan?
    • 9th Sep 19, 7:44 PM
    "Non-refundable" service plan? 9th Sep 19 at 7:44 PM
    I bought a used car from Arnold Clark a couple of months ago, including a 'Clark Plan' for two services and MOT's for £259.
    Meanwhile I discovered that I could get an extension to the manufacturers warranty that as well as covering failure of parts in the car also provided 2 MOT's and 2 years breakdown cover and other things, which I then decided to purchase.

However, when I looked at the T's&C's for the Clark Plan it says "Clark Plan is non-refundable but can be transferred on a private sale to a third party buyer for a £35 transfer administration fee....."

My question is, as I've never claimed anything on this plan yet, is it legal for them to simply state I can't get my money back from them? They're selling a service I hav'nt used.
Page 1
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 9th Sep 19, 8:12 PM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 11,225 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 9th Sep 19, 8:12 PM
    • 9th Sep 19, 8:12 PM
    What is a "clark plan"?

If its a financial insurance product (which extended warranties typically are) then these should have a 14 day cooling off period.

If its a service plan (to prepay for x number of services) then thats just prepaying for services and absence of some statutory or contractual right, then you have no grounds for a refund. A contract is legally binding on both parties. So just like you can't change your mind and get your money back, neither can they decide to charge you more even if their costs increase.

The terms shouldn't be misleading though. So they shouldn't say no refund in any circumstances. But it is okay to say no refunds where you simply change your mind (assuming you bought in store and not online).
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 9th Sep 19, 9:22 PM
    • 5,276 Posts
    • 5,130 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 9th Sep 19, 9:22 PM
    • 9th Sep 19, 9:22 PM
    Selling you a service you haven't used is different to selling you a service you can't use. And whats to stop you getting the 2 services you paid for?

The time to do your research is before you pay for something.
    • macman
    • By macman 9th Sep 19, 10:51 PM
    • 43,570 Posts
    • 18,699 Thanks
    macman
    • 9th Sep 19, 10:51 PM
    • 9th Sep 19, 10:51 PM
    I haven't 'used' my household contents insurance in the last 10 years. However, I think that the chance of getting my premiums refunded now is fairly minimal...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 10th Sep 19, 12:14 AM
    • 4,198 Posts
    • 3,857 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 10th Sep 19, 12:14 AM
    • 10th Sep 19, 12:14 AM
    Why do people just assume theyíre entitled to a refund of Ďtheirí money on a whim?
    You paid AC for a service, itís their money now. The fact you wonít use it is not their fault and irrelevant; itís there if you want it.
    • Paul_DNAP
    • By Paul_DNAP 10th Sep 19, 11:04 AM
    • 672 Posts
    • 829 Thanks
    Paul_DNAP
    • 10th Sep 19, 11:04 AM
    • 10th Sep 19, 11:04 AM
    What is a "clark plan"?
    Originally posted by unholyangel

In basic terms you're pre-paying for 2 MOT tests and 2 Annual services, so probably not a "financial product" in those senses.

And as with anything you've pre-paid, it's not their fault if you don't use what you've paid for, so no refunds is perfectly allowed. It's a little odd that it's tied to you as the owner and not the car, hence the small fee to transfer it over if you sell the car.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

204Posts Today

2,180Users online

Martin's Twitter