Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mimi Arc en ciel
    • By Mimi Arc en ciel 7th Sep 19, 8:27 PM
    • 4,538Posts
    • 5,828Thanks
    Mimi Arc en ciel
    0 WOW
    London at night?
    • 7th Sep 19, 8:27 PM
    0 WOW
    London at night? 7th Sep 19 at 8:27 PM
    I'm heading to London for a week with work and looking for things to do (solo traveller) in the evening. I've already looked at theatre tickets but what else can I do? Staying in greater London and should be 'free' around 5:30

Does anyone know of any late night spas or anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance
    Very proud mummy of 2!
Page 1
    • Kentish Dave
    • By Kentish Dave 7th Sep 19, 9:39 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 1,492 Thanks
    Kentish Dave
    • 7th Sep 19, 9:39 PM
    • 7th Sep 19, 9:39 PM
    London is one of a handful of the planet’s major capitals, so there are literally hundreds of thousands of things to do. Shows, galleries, restaurants, river trips, parks, cinemas, historic sites, museums, viewing galleries, night clubs, dance, London has it all. As Samuel Johnson said, “When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life, for there is in London all that life can afford.”

That being said, since you asked, Madame Tussaud’s...

What sort of things do you like to do? If you aren’t sure then pick up a Time Out magazine and start there.

I always liked taking visitors on the Thames Clipper. Get a day-long ticket and you can see a lot from the river, there’s a nice coffee shop and bar onboard, and it stops at some good places to get off and have a oook around.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 8th Sep 19, 11:40 AM
    • 7,151 Posts
    • 7,903 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 8th Sep 19, 11:40 AM
    • 8th Sep 19, 11:40 AM
    I always liked taking visitors on the Thames Clipper. Get a day-long ticket and you can see a lot from the river, there’s a nice coffee shop and bar onboard, and it stops at some good places to get off and have a oook around.
    Originally posted by Kentish Dave
    Yes, I'd second this - and well worth making the trip both by day and by night, as the river looks completely different then - much darker than you'd imagine. You can look out for the Greenwich meridian laser
    http://www.thegreenwichmeridian.org/tgm/articles.php?article=14

In the peak evening the boats go all the way up through the Thames Barrier to Woolwich, and you can stop off at the dome as well.

You don;t say when you are going up , but if it;s not for a while you could see if there's availability for the ceremony of the keys at the Tower

http://www.thegreenwichmeridian.org/tgm/articles.php?article=14
    • tower
    • By tower 8th Sep 19, 7:24 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    tower
    • 8th Sep 19, 7:24 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 7:24 PM
    If itís over 3 weeks away the Sky Garden is good for a free view and quick drink.
    • Paula Smith
    • By Paula Smith 9th Sep 19, 10:03 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Paula Smith
    • 9th Sep 19, 10:03 AM
    • 9th Sep 19, 10:03 AM
    If you have an Android phone there is an app with lots of free things to do:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bhacromwell.com.freelondon
    • blindman
    • By blindman 9th Sep 19, 9:01 PM
    • 5,232 Posts
    • 4,225 Thanks
    blindman
    • 9th Sep 19, 9:01 PM
    • 9th Sep 19, 9:01 PM
    I'm heading to London for a week with work and looking for things to do (solo traveller) in the evening. I've already looked at theatre tickets but what else can I do? Staying in greater London and should be 'free' around 5:30

Does anyone know of any late night spas or anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by Mimi Arc en ciel

I assume you've looked at Martins thread
    re how to get Theatre tickets cheap.

I'd like to add the page from Theatremonkey which gives details of day seats from the box office.

Not all shows do this and not all shows need you to queue from 5AM

We got the £12.50 standing tickets for Hamilton. At least Mrs B liked it

Earlier this month got 2x £25 tickets for a sold out show-seats right at the front.
    Last edited by blindman; 09-09-2019 at 9:03 PM.
    • macman
    • By macman 9th Sep 19, 10:14 PM
    • 43,575 Posts
    • 18,703 Thanks
    macman
    • 9th Sep 19, 10:14 PM
    • 9th Sep 19, 10:14 PM
    Staying in 'Greater London'? That covers a huge outer area, so you'll need to use public transport (tube, train or bus) to travel into the West End and City, where most of the 'sights' are.
    You could be up to an hour away from the centre, depending on how you define Greater London.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,170Posts Today

6,850Users online

Martin's Twitter