Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hellohoney
    • By Hellohoney 31st Aug 19, 10:31 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Hellohoney
    ATM didn’t dispense money and bank won’t return money either
    • 31st Aug 19, 10:31 AM
    ATM didn’t dispense money and bank won’t return money either 31st Aug 19 at 10:31 AM
    Hello.
    I’m new here so I apologise if this isn’t the right category but I hope someone can help me.
    2 weeks ago my husband used his HSBC bank card at the atm however the atm didn’t dispense any money. He then tried a different machine and it worked. However, on checking his online banking he saw that the money had been debited from his account.
    He called his back straight away and they said that they would investigate and it would take up to 28 working days. Last week, they put the money back into his account however yesterday they randomly they reversed it again? My husband has spoken to them again and all they have said is that they are still investigating and they cannot tell him why they first deposited the money and then reversed it? It’s all very strange and he cannot get a proper answer from anyone.
    Has anyone been through this and can anyone advise us on what to do next? It’s very frustrating as it’s coming up to three weeks now and it seems the bank don’t really want to help.
    Thank you.
Page 2
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 5th Sep 19, 1:30 PM
    • 11,429 Posts
    • 14,186 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I'm not aware of any legal obligation to share or even review CCTV footage
    Originally posted by Flobberchops
    See section 5.2.3 of https://ico.org.uk/media/1542/cctv-code-of-practice.pdf, although the ICO points out that this document still hasn't been updated since the Data Protection Act 2018 came into force.
    • JamesA999
    • By JamesA999 5th Sep 19, 1:39 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    JamesA999
    Will hellohoney after making a GDPR Article 15 Request of her bank and supplying photographs of those involved be given the ATM audit that realates to the disputed transaction and CCTV at the time, or not?

James
    • JamesA999
    • By JamesA999 5th Sep 19, 1:43 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    JamesA999
    You to Mr Dexter

The above question is also directed to you.

Regards

James

Cc'd Crown Prosecution Service
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 5th Sep 19, 2:14 PM
    • 11,429 Posts
    • 14,186 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Will hellohoney after making a GDPR Article 15 Request of her bank and supplying photographs of those involved be given the ATM audit that realates to the disputed transaction and CCTV at the time, or not?
    Originally posted by JamesA999
    No.

Her husband might though....
    my husband used his HSBC bank card at the atm however the atm didn’t dispense any money
    Originally posted by Hellohoney
    I don't believe that it's as simple as a yes or no issue - as ever with DPA matters, much comes down to interpretation and even though a case can be made that such data is personal and disclosable under the Act, there may be legitimate counter-arguments that the data controller makes, so only time will tell.

Although it would be preferable to pursue complaint processes at HSBC and FOS first IMHO, rather than considering it a purely data protection issue, it would certainly be worth ensuring that a copy of the CCTV footage is secured, before it's routinely purged, as organisations using CCTV (as with any other personal data) must have retention policies that take into consideration what it'll be used for.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 5th Sep 19, 2:25 PM
    • 6,621 Posts
    • 4,438 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    "Cc'd Crown Prosecution Service"

What's this all about?
    • JamesA999
    • By JamesA999 5th Sep 19, 2:37 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    JamesA999
    It about what you know but what you chose to say in reply to straight forward matters and who you are and your positions in Society i.e. your job and the membership of any Regulatory Body and services and conduct you must adhere to as members.

If you choose to prevaricate, obfuscate and be facetious and puport to have authority or knowledge you have by show it in passive-agressive styles or avoidant answers and stop others getting their problems sorted out as quickly as possible because of any reason you have then the well you already have been doing it.

The CPS will be in touch in due course.

I respectfully suggest you advise your employers HR department of what you have been posting on this forum and that you advise any Regulatory or Governering Body of which you are members of what you have been posting on this board.

Any why?

Regards

CPS
    • JamesA999
    • By JamesA999 5th Sep 19, 2:39 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    JamesA999
    Not my best typed out statement on a slow mobile phone screen but I am sure you get the point's!

Eh?

CPS
    • JamesA999
    • By JamesA999 5th Sep 19, 2:47 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    JamesA999
    For the benefit of others.

The problem is if you ask "I am on any street in anytown and I am looking for directions to the local shops can you help?" and the reply comes back "for that kind of help you should contact the FOS to complain that your local authority has not made it clear where they are" when the right answer was either "you walk to the end of the street and turn left and they are in front of you" if the person knew that or "your make an Article 15 Request pursuant to the GDPR to your local authority for a map" then the poster has more than one problem in law.

Regards

CPS
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 5th Sep 19, 2:56 PM
    • 6,621 Posts
    • 4,438 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    LOL - hilarious.

I honestly thought the schools were back by now?
    • JamesA999
    • By JamesA999 5th Sep 19, 2:56 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    JamesA999
    ColdIron understands the English language. Hooray!

James
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 5th Sep 19, 4:28 PM
    • 1,989 Posts
    • 1,680 Thanks
    Terry Towelling

James
    Sometimes understanding the English language is difficult when it isn't written particularly well. So, James can you please be more careful with the way you write your posts because they are full of errors and I sometimes have to guess what you actually mean - and that's not helpful.
    • d123
    • By d123 5th Sep 19, 4:34 PM
    • 8,061 Posts
    • 5,261 Thanks
    d123
    For the benefit of others.

The problem is if you ask "I am on any street in anytown and I am looking for directions to the local shops can you help?" and the reply comes back "for that kind of help you should contact the FOS to complain that your local authority has not made it clear where they are" when the right answer was either "you walk to the end of the street and turn left and they are in front of you" if the person knew that or "your make an Article 15 Request pursuant to the GDPR to your local authority for a map" then the poster has more than one problem in law.

Regards

CPS
    Why are you trolling threads with loads of nonsense?
    ====
    • JGB1955
    • By JGB1955 5th Sep 19, 4:37 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    JGB1955

James

I would suggest that before replying to any of James's posts you save your time and have a look at https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6044269
    • born again
    • By born again 5th Sep 19, 4:40 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    born again
    Why do people think banks have access to CCTV?
    Unless it was a internal HSBC atm, then there maybe CCTV, but these will not be directed towards ATM's so as not to show any info being entered. So odds on it showing no cash coming out is very slim. Given person will have been stood in the way.
    OP has not stated who they bank with. so if it is another bank then they will not be able to get it. All they will get is a reply via link stating what HSBC have told them.
    They also would not provide proof off the atm tally as it is not customer data that will be recorded on their account. Which will be limited to ATM dispute started and reply from atm owner. No copy of anything from ATM

Only thing OP could do is lodge a complaint and hope that it is looked at in a sympathetic manner.
    • JamesA999
    • By JamesA999 5th Sep 19, 5:12 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    JamesA999
    And another thread

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76240942#post76240942
    • masonic
    • By masonic 5th Sep 19, 5:28 PM
    • 12,366 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    masonic
    It's rather ironic that someone quoting chapter and verse about GDPR should themselves cause a breach by disclosing through this website information related to two identified individuals.
    • JamesA999
    • By JamesA999 5th Sep 19, 5:32 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    JamesA999
    masonic, which two individuals?

Did they breach the GDPR first or common law on data protection?

Regards

CPS
    • masonic
    • By masonic 5th Sep 19, 5:41 PM
    • 12,366 Posts
    • 9,956 Thanks
    masonic
    masonic, which two individuals?
    The two individuals named in this thread

Did they breach the GDPR first or common law on data protection?
    If there were breaches of more then one law, then they would have occurred concurrently. But don't worry, the rule breaking posts have been reported, so they will be removed in due course.

Regards

CPS
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 5th Sep 19, 6:45 PM
    • 6,621 Posts
    • 4,438 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Just keep thinking to yourself “the schools are back soon, the schools are back soon...”.
    • born again
    • By born again 6th Sep 19, 11:43 AM
    • 414 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    born again
    Just keep thinking to yourself “the schools are back soon, the schools are back soon...”.
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Yep. As the incorrect advice that is being offered by said person is not helping the OP in anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,128Posts Today

8,209Users online

Martin's Twitter