Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andrew71
    • By andrew71 12th Aug 19, 7:47 AM
    • 1,143Posts
    • 7,488Thanks
    andrew71
    Competitions you don't see any more (Nostalgia)
    • 12th Aug 19, 7:47 AM
    Competitions you don't see any more (Nostalgia) 12th Aug 19 at 7:47 AM
    I came to realise the other day that I must of been doing competitions for about ten years and so it got me thinking (a bit of nostalgia creeping in) about those competitions no longer around. Be it due to the host website just stopping doing competitions or them going bust.

Wonga on Twitter - 50 - The only time we'd ever want them to have access to our bank account was if we ever won 50 off them. Happily they've now gone

Giraffe & Ed's Diner again on Twitter - win a meal for two on a Friday (two separate competitions). They are still around but they've stopped doing competitions.

Daily Star/Express/OK Magazine - All run by the same company. Daily entries. We're they taken over or just decide to stop doing competitions?

Channel 4 - In the days when Deal or no Deal was at it's peak every day there was a chance to win 10's of thousands of pounds. Free entry up to 30 times a day. This was probably the time many of us learnt to use form filling software and how the browser back button and refresh browser worked.

Fish slice/spatula - personally I didn't enter this so no idea what it was but they did start to get a bit of a cult following on here.

Any more?
    2019 CHALLENGE 12 COMPETITION WINS IN 12 Months So Far - 8/12 250 Brooks Tavern online Spend This Morning Live Tickets Kitvision Action Camera Coronation Street Tour Tickets Holiday to UniversalOrlando for six
    Craft Show Tickets
    500 That's Life mag.
    Signed Manchester United Top
Page 3
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 17th Aug 19, 12:18 PM
    • 2,378 Posts
    • 63,791 Thanks
    hdh74
    The one where you won a can of soup and plastic mug if you didn't win anything better.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 17th Aug 19, 9:24 PM
    • 26,115 Posts
    • 13,281 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Who remembers those quiz channels on TV?
    I won about 3000 in total (mostly small individual wins) from ringing at times when they were not busy - so 5-6 pm I used to dash home from work to win 25 or 50 LOL
    The cheques always turned up.
    They had to give you a free way of entering so I bought a second phone just to use re-dial when they were on.
    I once got on a Saturday night when the cash prize was 1000 when they were asking what immediately comes to mind when you hear the word 'Eurovision' - I said Terry Wogan but the answer they wanted was Ireland as they had a habit of winning it often at that time.

I think they were closed down because it was proven that some quizzes had no definite right answer and were therefore unfair.

Happy days - you would think in this digital age somebody would try something like this again?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • EnglishWelshie
    • By EnglishWelshie 18th Aug 19, 9:39 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 12,625 Thanks
    EnglishWelshie
    I miss the Sprinkle website! I never won any of the bigger prizes (there were lots of MSE winners though ), but they also gave away a 10 Amazon voucher every day and I think I won it about 5 times within a few months!

I'm sure I remember a Jet2 advent running last year?

EDIT: yes, here it is https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5939530&highlight=jet2
    Originally posted by 2013yearofthehouse
    That was different to the ones run the previous 2 years. The one I meant you got 3 goes a day I seem to remember a gingerbread man on the main screen when you had each go. It was this one and it ran for more days

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5752252&highlight=https+advent+je t2holidays+com
    • strawberri_shortcake
    • By strawberri_shortcake 21st Aug 19, 5:23 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 2,894 Thanks
    strawberri_shortcake
    I've been comping for 16 years or so. I'm always happy to hear about all your wins and I don't begrudge anyone anything.

However...

DAMN YOU ALL for flaunting your fish slices at me!

Seriously though. I'm going to use every bit of willpower I have to ignore the latest goddamn hummingbird competition.
    Why do mice have such small balls?
    Because so few of them can dance.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

207Posts Today

2,836Users online

Martin's Twitter