Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andrew71
    • By andrew71 12th Aug 19, 7:47 AM
    • 1,141Posts
    • 7,466Thanks
    andrew71
    Competitions you don't see any more (Nostalgia)
    • 12th Aug 19, 7:47 AM
    Competitions you don't see any more (Nostalgia) 12th Aug 19 at 7:47 AM
    I came to realise the other day that I must of been doing competitions for about ten years and so it got me thinking (a bit of nostalgia creeping in) about those competitions no longer around. Be it due to the host website just stopping doing competitions or them going bust.

Wonga on Twitter - 50 - The only time we'd ever want them to have access to our bank account was if we ever won 50 off them. Happily they've now gone

Giraffe & Ed's Diner again on Twitter - win a meal for two on a Friday (two separate competitions). They are still around but they've stopped doing competitions.

Daily Star/Express/OK Magazine - All run by the same company. Daily entries. We're they taken over or just decide to stop doing competitions?

Channel 4 - In the days when Deal or no Deal was at it's peak every day there was a chance to win 10's of thousands of pounds. Free entry up to 30 times a day. This was probably the time many of us learnt to use form filling software and how the browser back button and refresh browser worked.

Fish slice/spatula - personally I didn't enter this so no idea what it was but they did start to get a bit of a cult following on here.

Any more?
    2019 CHALLENGE 12 COMPETITION WINS IN 12 Months So Far - 8/12 250 Brooks Tavern online Spend This Morning Live Tickets Kitvision Action Camera Coronation Street Tour Tickets Holiday to UniversalOrlando for six
    Craft Show Tickets
    500 That's Life mag.
    Signed Manchester United Top
Page 2
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 12th Aug 19, 10:30 PM
    • 4,751 Posts
    • 348,480 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    I miss the 'Friday Tweets'.

I won one of those fish slices. I still have and use it

Blu XXX
    Originally posted by Blulu
    You use it??!! ... Sacrilege!

Should be framed and living a nice life in a prominent place in your house.
    *Good Luck * Be Lucky * Stay Lucky*
    • jaibaby
    • By jaibaby 12th Aug 19, 10:58 PM
    • 3,726 Posts
    • 415,026 Thanks
    jaibaby
    The Glamour monthly ones and the HUGE May one where it was almost guaranteed to win at least one thing (think I won a total of 7 in the last one).

Spending the day setting alarms for every hour on my phone for the Times hourly comps...... ah the minutes I wasted
    Thanks to all posters
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 13th Aug 19, 7:13 AM
    • 2,377 Posts
    • 63,664 Thanks
    hdh74
    I use my fish slice all the time. They're actually good fish slices.
    Remember a game where you could win frying pans, tea towels and I can't remember what else, from a bacon company I think?
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 13th Aug 19, 9:20 AM
    • 4,751 Posts
    • 348,480 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    Ah, The Haggis Hunt. The 'Ghillie' was called Farquar Farquarson.
    It was basically webcams round certain places in Scotland, and if a Haggis showed up (looked a bit like a hedgehog tbh), you have to click the link and you got entered in the draw.
    Originally posted by dontone
    Probably had to stop it 'cause there's too many Haggis about these days, my dogs constantly chasing them, vicious wee !!!!!!s in the summer / mating season.
    • pate-ci0
    • By pate-ci0 13th Aug 19, 11:12 AM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 36,051 Thanks
    pate-ci0
    Always found a decent fish slice is a good defense against a wild haggis; more effective on the clockwise ones though, not so good on the anti-clockwise breed, they run the wrong way.
    • xoxlauraxox
    • By xoxlauraxox 13th Aug 19, 12:35 PM
    • 3,712 Posts
    • 29,988 Thanks
    xoxlauraxox
    yes the glamour may comp used to be amazing!!! I so miss the old days, if I go back 10 years I think I used to win more in 1 year than I have in the past 5
    Thanks to everyone that posts
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 13th Aug 19, 9:32 PM
    • 4,751 Posts
    • 348,480 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    I've been racking my brain all day trying to remember what the site was, but I cannot think of it.

It was like Stylist or something like that and half the competitions were from another brand (I'm sure it was something to do with man or mens something) ... I remember unsubscribing from their emails and then not being able to enter a competition again 'cause it said I had unsubbed.

I'm sure nobody knows what I'm talking about but if you do please say 'cause it's driving me nuts.
    • Skilos
    • By Skilos 13th Aug 19, 10:07 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 11,480 Thanks
    Skilos
    It was like Stylist or something like that and half the competitions were from another brand (I'm sure it was something to do with man or mens something) ... I remember unsubscribing from their emails and then not being able to enter a competition again 'cause it said I had unsubbed.
    Originally posted by sleepyjones

Mr Hyde? Shortlist and, I think you're right, Stylist both ran competitions where being signed up to the Mr Hyde newsletter was a requirement of entry.
    Last edited by Skilos; 13-08-2019 at 10:16 PM.
    • EnglishWelshie
    • By EnglishWelshie 13th Aug 19, 11:09 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 12,625 Thanks
    EnglishWelshie
    When AO first started doing their comps and they did live videos with a few extra prizes thrown in.
    Belvita didn't have a comp this year. They did weekly draws for x amount of prizes over a few weeks each year. Won a Tassimo machine and a Nutribullet with them.
    The jet2 advent didn't run last year used to love doing that and they had some fab holidays they gave away daily over advent.
    There don't seem to be as many mag dail

I did win the fish slice though
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 14th Aug 19, 9:57 AM
    • 4,751 Posts
    • 348,480 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    Shortlist / Mr Hyde sounds about right!

I'm just gonna take that as the correct answer so I can stop thinking about it! ... Legend ... thanks
    • Short-n-Sweet
    • By Short-n-Sweet 14th Aug 19, 12:58 PM
    • 7,066 Posts
    • 321,151 Thanks
    Short-n-Sweet
    Hourly's such as the Pepsi Max and Lucozade.

I won a Nokia Phone with Pepsi and my Best Friend won an iPhone with Lucozade.
    Ask.. Believe.. Receive..

Every Accomplishment Starts With The Decision To Try
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 15th Aug 19, 1:38 PM
    • 4,751 Posts
    • 348,480 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    Not a provider, but remember when every second competition was for a "Stash of Beanies coffee", don't see them any more.
    • cagsd
    • By cagsd 15th Aug 19, 4:00 PM
    • 6,448 Posts
    • 175,232 Thanks
    cagsd
    I think these have probably all been mentioned already, but I get nostalgic over:
    - Comps I used to spend all day dreaming of winning: Currys Wishlist, Citroen Seekers (where you had to "navigate" round a location using Google Earth and click on signs, and you could win a car.), Times Hourlies, ITV free entry comps such as Real Deal, The Cube, This Morning etc! Stylist/Emerald Street, and Shortlist / Mr Hyde, all used to do really decent comps too.
    - Comps that you were pretty much guaranteed to win something on: Stella Beauty giveaway, Glamour, there was a wine company on Facebook that used to do a National Trust pass competition and I won LOADS of them, Supersavvy Me used to do daily entry comps for stuff like half decent moisturiser, shampoo etc, plus there were always loads of daily instant win comps around. You hardly ever see them now.
    There are loads of advents that are no longer run too, I can't think of them off the top of my head but I noticed last Christmas that tonnes of my favourites had dwindled away

I started comping only 7 years ago, and for the first (at least) 3 years, I'd never go a month without at least 4 wins. It's slowly been drying up over the past few years, to the point where in the last 18 months I think I've won 3 prizes? Ahh, the good old days!

• 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 16th Aug 19, 9:40 AM
    • 2,651 Posts
    • 47,357 Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse
    I miss the Sprinkle website! I never won any of the bigger prizes (there were lots of MSE winners though ), but they also gave away a 10 Amazon voucher every day and I think I won it about 5 times within a few months!

The jet2 advent didn't run last year used to love doing that and they had some fab holidays they gave away daily over advent.
    Originally posted by EnglishWelshie
    I'm sure I remember a Jet2 advent running last year?

EDIT: yes, here it is https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5939530&highlight=jet2
    • eleanorre
    • By eleanorre 16th Aug 19, 2:33 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 1,462 Thanks
    eleanorre
    There were two on channel 4 I think Memory box was one and I forget the other . You had to watch the programme and solve an anagramand send in a text . You were called live on the same programme . I used to use three phones pretending to be me my sister and myself. I won about 4 times sometimes a grand sometimes five hundred pounds . I passed on the winnings to the others if I won for them .
    When I started comping there were a lot of comps where you collected wrappers for sweets etc. My kids scoured the playground for them for me .
    • cagsd
    • By cagsd 16th Aug 19, 3:59 PM
    • 6,448 Posts
    • 175,232 Thanks
    cagsd
    I miss the Sprinkle website! I never won any of the bigger prizes (there were lots of MSE winners though ), but they also gave away a 10 Amazon voucher every day and I think I won it about 5 times within a few months!

Originally posted by 2013yearofthehouse
    Yes, Sprinkle was another one I won quite a few times on. I used to love the steady stream of little prizes like Amazon vouchers, Costa coffee giftcards, shampoo, cereal, that came from comps such as that.

• DisneyLisa
    • By DisneyLisa 16th Aug 19, 7:08 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 2,441 Thanks
    DisneyLisa
    the fox;s biscuit one where you got biscuits if a horse won a race? or something like that
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 16th Aug 19, 9:52 PM
    • 10,543 Posts
    • 64,323 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    Hotel Chocolat to win chocolate prizes to redeem in store.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • Marg2k8
    • By Marg2k8 17th Aug 19, 9:31 AM
    • 5,111 Posts
    • 200,418 Thanks
    Marg2k8
    I'm showing my age now, but I miss the days when you used to pick up entry forms in supermarkets and other places and used to have to make up a tie-breaker, such as a slogan. There were various entry form exchange schemes, where you would for example send off 20 entry forms you had picked up and in return for an SAE, you would get back another 20 entry forms in the post. I won a few good prizes back then, including a trolley dash round Asda and a year's supply of Heineken (365 cans).

• Midnighter
    • By Midnighter 17th Aug 19, 9:59 AM
    • 14,585 Posts
    • 1,639,125 Thanks
    Midnighter
    I strangely still miss Ceefax, Teletext and Sky Text. I won several times from each of them back in the day.
    '...luck came to those who left a space for it.' Terry Pratchett
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

359Posts Today

4,556Users online

Martin's Twitter