Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 17th Jul 19, 7:30 PM
    • 3,872Posts
    • 2,856Thanks
    SnowTiger
    HSBC 1% cashback on debit card purchases
    • 17th Jul 19, 7:30 PM
    HSBC 1% cashback on debit card purchases 17th Jul 19 at 7:30 PM
    I've just received this email from HSBC:

Weíre making using your HSBC Visa Debit Card more rewarding. Whether youíre using your card for everyday shopping, the occasional treat or even a trip outside of the UK, you can earn 1% cashback on your purchases.

From 19 July 2019 until 20 October 2019, you can earn up to £10 a month on your everyday spending(1). Simply use your HSBC Visa Debit Card and you'll automatically begin to earn cashback.

(1) Which transactions are excluded?

The following transactions are excluded from cashback: payments for gambling transactions, financial services payments such as credit card or insurance payments, cash withdrawals, or card to card payments.
    It appears to be invite only, so check your email inbox.

I already receive more than 1% cashback on most of my purchases elsewhere.
Page 2
    • masonic
    • By masonic 6th Aug 19, 11:18 AM
    • 12,335 Posts
    • 9,940 Thanks
    masonic
    I would qualify under those conditions. No such offer though.
    Originally posted by badger09
    I'm an Advance customer who has never used his debit card, no offer here either.
    • karlie88
    • By karlie88 6th Aug 19, 2:41 PM
    • 8,837 Posts
    • 108,244 Thanks
    karlie88
    I'm a standard current account customer and had this offer late last year
    Originally posted by KxMx
    I would qualify under those conditions. No such offer though.
    Originally posted by badger09
    I'm an Advance customer who has never used his debit card, no offer here either.
    Originally posted by masonic
    Thanks. So a bit more investigation is required then.
    Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 7th Aug 19, 11:39 PM
    • 5,762 Posts
    • 5,031 Thanks
    Alexland
    I am on Advance, never otherwise use the debit card and got sent the offer. We just use HSBC for the regular saver and stoozing the 0% credit card.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 7th Aug 19, 11:51 PM
    • 3,872 Posts
    • 2,856 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    Is this for Advance customers only? Who rarely/never use their debit card? I have got this promotion so have switched to using this card for a short while - also took part in the last promo when cashback was offered.

Other family members have the standard current account and have never received an offer like this.
    Originally posted by karlie88
    This type of deal is usually made to customers who don't use their account (much).

As Advance customers have to deposit at least £1,750 a month in to their account I'd guess, on the whole, they use it regularly.

I have a standard HSBC account. The T&Cs say I should pay £500 a month in to it, but I don't. I've just noticed that HBSC is dropping that requirement from 14th September 2019. I don't think they enforced it anyway.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 7th Aug 19, 11:53 PM
    • 3,872 Posts
    • 2,856 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    A few more cashbacks trickled through last night. I guess HSBC is processing them on a ad hoc basis.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 8th Aug 19, 5:59 AM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 1,609 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    I have advance, pay some direct debits from it, but apart from that simply cycle money through it to get the regular saver. My payments are beginning to work through as well. £216 spent in July and £2.10 paid.

I'm up to about £800 this month already, so I'm likely to make the £1000 limit before going on holiday in just over a week.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 8th Aug 19, 9:53 AM
    • 7,391 Posts
    • 6,937 Thanks
    badger09
    This type of deal is usually made to customers who don't use their account (much).

As Advance customers have to deposit at least £1,750 a month in to their account I'd guess, on the whole, they use it regularly.

I have a standard HSBC account. The T&Cs say I should pay £500 a month in to it, but I don't. I've just noticed that HBSC is dropping that requirement from 14th September 2019. I don't think they enforced it anyway.
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    Methinks you guess wrongly - at least as far as most posters on this board are concerned
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 8th Aug 19, 9:58 AM
    • 764 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    I am on Advance, never otherwise use the debit card and got sent the offer. We just use HSBC for the regular saver and stoozing the 0% credit card.
    Originally posted by Alexland

Only opened my Advance account for the Regular Saver, and punt £1750 per month through it into various other Regular Savers, never used the Debit Card apart from changing the PIN when I first received it, and I didn't receive the cashback offer. Sob.
    • karlie88
    • By karlie88 25th Aug 19, 10:53 AM
    • 8,837 Posts
    • 108,244 Thanks
    karlie88
    I have not received any cashback for transactions dated 5th Aug onwards. Previous transactions have had their cashback paid.

When was the last time other people received their cashback please?

Terms state it will be paid within 14 days of the original transaction.
    • myth123
    • By myth123 25th Aug 19, 10:59 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 901 Thanks
    myth123
    I havenít had any cashback on my August purchases. I got all my cashback from July paid on 05/08.

Iím expecting the August cashback to appear around 05/09 (even though that is after the 14 days they state).
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 25th Aug 19, 11:45 AM
    • 3,872 Posts
    • 2,856 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    The last cashback I received was dated 8th August.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 25th Aug 19, 2:25 PM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 1,609 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    I have most of my August cashback paid. Cashback on money spent in the first few days came through very quickly. Last payment was 9th of August.
    • Curls2208
    • By Curls2208 26th Aug 19, 6:26 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Curls2208
    I may email them and see if I can get on board with this offer.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 26th Aug 19, 6:59 AM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 1,347 Thanks
    18cc
    @SnowTiger Thanks for the link - that seems to imply that not only do you not now have top pay in £500 a month for their Bank Account but that you also get access to the regular saver (which from memory was only available to Advance customers) - it that your reading of it? If so, I will open a regular Bank Account with them to get the reg saver.
    • jeepjunkie
    • By jeepjunkie 26th Aug 19, 8:34 PM
    • 1,642 Posts
    • 1,462 Thanks
    jeepjunkie
    Have HSBC mort and reg saver, never used the advance current account as I hate their online banking. Never come across such a horrible logon procedure. Sticking with my prepaid card that gets between 4 and 10% CB at all the big names and more. HSBC will have try a lot harder than 1%...
    • karlie88
    • By karlie88 28th Aug 19, 11:43 AM
    • 8,837 Posts
    • 108,244 Thanks
    karlie88
    Sticking with my prepaid card that gets between 4 and 10% CB at all the big names and more.
    Originally posted by jeepjunkie
    Any more information on this please?

Is it a prepaid Mastercard that had a top up bonus via TCB?
    • crumpetman
    • By crumpetman 28th Aug 19, 2:39 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    crumpetman
    How do you top up your prepaid card? Why not use the HSBC debit card and get an extra 1% on your discounts?
    • martin177
    • By martin177 3rd Sep 19, 8:51 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    martin177
    HSBC 1% cashback not paid for a month now ??
    Hi
    I was lucky enough to get the 1% cashback offer on my HSBC card but after a payment on 9th August have received nothing even when using the same merchant again.
    Had a fruitless online chat tonight where the operator directed me to Visa saying the offer is directed by them .
    I emailed them but am a bit doubtful.
    Anyone else had a cashback payment since early August ?

Many thanks
    • colsten
    • By colsten 6th Sep 19, 7:05 AM
    • 11,006 Posts
    • 10,290 Thanks
    colsten
    How do you top up your prepaid card? Why not use the HSBC debit card and get an extra 1% on your discounts?
    Originally posted by crumpetman
    Because card to card payments are excluded from the offer. See post 1.
    • crumpetman
    • By crumpetman 7th Sep 19, 2:24 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    crumpetman
    I think it depends how the prepaid card is topped up. I have some through an employee discount scheme and top ups are done through a website and the transaction shows something like "reward gateway" and it is treated like a regular purchase and not as a financial services payment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

204Posts Today

2,180Users online

Martin's Twitter