Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: For those aged 26-36, please select the option most relevant to you

I am renting and will probably rent forever

5.50% • 26 votes

I am renting and saving to buy a property, but struggling to save enough

8.03% • 38 votes

I am renting, but close to buying a property using the Help To Buy or Shared Ownership Scheme

4.44% • 21 votes

I am renting, but close to buying a property (without help from a scheme)

11.63% • 55 votes

I bought a property using the Help To Buy loan or Shared Ownership Scheme

7.82% • 37 votes

I own a 1 or 2 bed property (without help from a scheme) - I don't know how I can up-size.

5.92% • 28 votes

I own a property (without help from a scheme) it is suitable for me, I'm confident in up-sizing

24.31% • 115 votes

I own a property and will likely never need more bedrooms

27.27% • 129 votes

I own multiple properties.

5.07% • 24 votes

You may not vote on this poll

473 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 9th Apr 19, 6:24 AM
    • 70Posts
    • 30Thanks
    homeless9
    For those aged 26-36 (Your housing situation)
    • 9th Apr 19, 6:24 AM
    For those aged 26-36 (Your housing situation) 9th Apr 19 at 6:24 AM
    For those aged 26-36, please select the option most relevant to you:
Page 3
    • Chibzoid
    • By Chibzoid 9th Apr 19, 3:15 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Chibzoid
    I'm 21 and we've just bought our first house (3 bed semi detached) in Essex. We saved for around 4 years before we could buy but we were lucky enough to live at home while at uni so we could buy as soon as i graduated!
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Apr 19, 3:35 PM
    • 13,179 Posts
    • 15,002 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Do you have a link?
    It doesnt match what others have found so Iím curious and doesnít sound right as roughly 30% never earn enough to own.

I reckon youíve got a figure for private rentals only and assumed everyone else owns which is incorrect.
    Some are in social housing, some in care facilities, some with relatives and some in hospital (but mainly social housing).
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    Indeed, there'll be a large number in social housing (we know that from all the posts here from people desperate to "help" their older relatives to exercise their Right to Buy...), and at the upper end of the age range plenty who have sold their last property and are now in nursing homes or other assisted accommodation, or staying with family.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 9th Apr 19, 3:51 PM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    When myself and my husband divorced we were both renting for a while, and our two new partners had also divorced previously and had rented like their exes. That's six people who went from owning to renting in their 40s. Messy but worth it
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 9th Apr 19, 3:57 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    homeless9
    Having kids means a commitment to look after them and the woman only stays in the home if she is the main carer, so itís only for the kids benefit.

It is awful if a man gets kicked out of his home, but if you arenít prepared to prioritise the kids you are not ready for fatherhood.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    This is what infuriates me, this culture....

You are accused of 'not prioritising the kids' and being a bad father if you don't let your stay at home ex-partner have the house and the kids. It's ridiculous. It's all a fraud.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 9th Apr 19, 4:41 PM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 4,410 Thanks
    DD265
    I'm 31, my husband and I just bought our first house (3-bed detached) this year with a 5% deposit which we raised in a couple of months (half ours, half bank of mum and dad) on a bit of a whim. We'd rented for just under 3 years together, him a couple of years before that and I'd lived with my parents.

The house is big enough (may be a squeeze if we have children, we'd make it work), but I think we're both in agreement that we'd like our 'dream house' at some point, probably 7-10 years or so.
    Credit Cards 2019 - £6050/£8000 paid off - 75.6%
    • Trina90
    • By Trina90 9th Apr 19, 4:58 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    Trina90
    I'm 28. Bought a 3 bed home with my husband nearly 4 years ago. No help to buy scheme. We were looking for a home where we could stay if and when we have children. Never rented but luckily my parents let us stay with them until I was 24 and had built up a deposit.
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000 2016: £130,000 2017: £116,000 2018: £105,000 2019: £88,000
    • Sirrah67
    • By Sirrah67 9th Apr 19, 5:16 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    Sirrah67

You are accused of 'not prioritising the kids' and being a bad father if you don't let your stay at home ex-partner have the house and the kids. It's ridiculous. It's all a fraud.
    Originally posted by homeless9
    🙄 Do me a favour, never have children, you are clearly too selfish.
    • mpr87
    • By mpr87 9th Apr 19, 7:14 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    mpr87
    I'm 31, girlfriend is 30. We are both currently living with our parents but are in the process of buying our first home. Just playing the conveyancing waiting game at the moment.
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 9th Apr 19, 9:24 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    I’m 32, I’ve been renting since 18 but I have a 5% deposit and mortgage agreement in principle.

I moved from England to Scotland a few years ago, if I was still in England I don’t think I’d be in a position to buy right now.

I put an offer on a property last week but was outbid. Tomorrow I’m looking at a new build which I could get with the help to buy scheme. I’m going with an open mind but with the way the market is just now it will be easier for me to proceed with a new build as I will probably be outbid on other properties as I can’t offer much more than the valuation price.

I could wait and save more money but I’m fed up paying rent (which is increasing in a few months)
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Current debt £5,950 (09/09/18)
    • GoingOn30
    • By GoingOn30 9th Apr 19, 11:00 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    GoingOn30
    I'm 30 and partner is 29, both professionals.
    I'd been saving since I graduated at 22 and we bought a 2 bed flat a year ago in South West England.
    We will outgrow it as soon as we have a mobile child (it's very compact with no outdoor space).
    We have a lodger in the spare room at the mo to help pay for a wedding, once the wedding is paid for the lodger money will go towards saving for the next upsize. Hoping in 9-12 months we can look forward to not sharing our home any more and enjoying the space.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 9th Apr 19, 11:28 PM
    • 3,662 Posts
    • 8,107 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Funds derived from cryptocurrency create an interesting headache from a anti-money-laundering regulations point of view.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    Indeed, as well as the tax implications (hopefully the poster has paid the tax due on the gains made, which sound significant).

As to the poll, my understanding from reading other threads is that those around London and the South East are the ones struggling to buy, whereas elsewhere it is a lot easier. I work with someone who must be on £65K plus (before accounting for his wife's salary) in London who says that he doesn't ever see himself being in a position to buy in his part of London (close to Canary Wharf), so it is all relative!

I bought my first flat at 23 in South London, but there is no way I could afford to do that now if I was starting out, so good luck to all of you trying to get on the housing ladder.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • a_silver_lining
    • By a_silver_lining 10th Apr 19, 6:35 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 1,700 Thanks
    a_silver_lining
    I think your question as to whether to move further away to afford more is an interesting one...

I clicked that I was comfortable and able to upsize, but that is only through moving further away.

I bought a one bed flat, aged 27, almost 5 years ago. It was 156K, my deposit was 45K, plus a 10K loan from family. My income was 21k, so no idea how I managed to blag the 102k I borrowed!

I had to move out of town, as did my friends, who moved very far away to afford a house.

I've paid 10k off the mortgage now through regular repayments, the 10K back I owed and although there is Brexit uncertainty, my neighbours bought their version of my flat for 195K two years ago, so I know I will walk away with a large deposit.

When my partner and I did the maths on affording what we wanted in the SE, we couldn't afford it on the 25-30k saleries we would be on, despite our joint deposit.

So we are doing the extreme and moving to Southern Ireland, where my partner is from. For us that gives her family, which I do not have here in the UK, and me the property. Job prospects are not as good, and we would be away from a city and the aminities I am used to, but we realied that we would never 'have it all'.
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    ..... to buy my first home.
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: 2k/5K in moving home expenses!
    Buying in Ireland fund: Ä140/Ä5k
    • Ashbash1991
    • By Ashbash1991 10th Apr 19, 7:08 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Ashbash1991
    Im 27 wife is 26 we bought our 3 bed semi a couple of months ago with a 10% deposit.

Need to pay for a re wire then do the decorating but then we will overpay as much as we can and within reason......we need a holiday
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 11th Apr 19, 10:59 AM
    • 25,441 Posts
    • 13,644 Thanks
    lisyloo

Originally posted by homeless9
    You haven’t READ at all.
    You do not let your ex HAVE the equity in the home.

You let your kids grow up in it until they are a certain age.
    Your ex stays there if she is main carer.
    If YOU are the main carer you (male) can stay whilst she leaves but the traditional picture is women looking after the kids.

If you aren’t prepared to leave as an adult male and let your young kids stay in the house temporarily then don’t become a father, you are way too selfish.

It’s not fraud it’s prioritising the kids over an adult who can easily move elsewhere.

It has nothing to do with equity. The man can retain 50% or 100% of the equity whilst letter the kids live there.

Why aren’t you spending your time working out a plan to move to somewhere affordable rather than arguing about theoretical risks?
    • gycraig
    • By gycraig 11th Apr 19, 11:05 AM
    • 519 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    gycraig
    🙄 Do me a favour, never have children, you are clearly too selfish.
    Originally posted by Sirrah67
    Yer proper selfish to not want to live in a crappy shared house while ex partner chills in the nice big house that he will probably have to pay for.

Glad I'm selfish as this is one of the main reasons I'm not breeding
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 11th Apr 19, 11:10 AM
    • 25,441 Posts
    • 13,644 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Yer proper selfish to not want to live in a crappy shared house while ex partner chills in the nice big house that he will probably have to pay for.

Glad I'm selfish as this is one of the main reasons I'm not breeding
    Originally posted by gycraig
    Im going to thank your post for not breeding.
    • joanars
    • By joanars 11th Apr 19, 11:34 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    joanars
    Myself and my husband are both 28, just bought our first 3 bed house and we absolutely love it. It's big and would comfortably fit 2-3 children if we ever have any. We bought the house with 5% deposit, no schemes, no help from mums and dads, no living with parents to help save for deposit, only hard work and dedication.
    • SG27
    • By SG27 11th Apr 19, 6:24 PM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 1,926 Thanks
    SG27
    My wife and I saved for around 8 years to buy our first house in 2013. A 2 bed house. I was 29. Last year we sold and moved to a 3 bed semi which needed totally renovating.
    • CheBee
    • By CheBee 11th Apr 19, 6:36 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    CheBee
    I'm 31, still saving and hope to get a flat in St Albans but it's hella expensive up there!
    Single, FTB -- Property purchased Aug 2019 -- 'Save £12k in 2019' -- Total Saved: 11k
    • SarahB89
    • By SarahB89 12th Apr 19, 11:07 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    SarahB89
    I'm 29, currently renting with my fianc! but about to start the process of buying - we have a £26k deposit (half savings with a Life ISA, half grandparent inheritance via the Bank of Mum & Dad). Without the family contribution we'd be 12-18 months away from being in this position.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

620Posts Today

7,567Users online

Martin's Twitter