Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: For those aged 26-36, please select the option most relevant to you

I am renting and will probably rent forever

5.50% • 26 votes

I am renting and saving to buy a property, but struggling to save enough

8.03% • 38 votes

I am renting, but close to buying a property using the Help To Buy or Shared Ownership Scheme

4.44% • 21 votes

I am renting, but close to buying a property (without help from a scheme)

11.63% • 55 votes

I bought a property using the Help To Buy loan or Shared Ownership Scheme

7.82% • 37 votes

I own a 1 or 2 bed property (without help from a scheme) - I don't know how I can up-size.

5.92% • 28 votes

I own a property (without help from a scheme) it is suitable for me, I'm confident in up-sizing

24.31% • 115 votes

I own a property and will likely never need more bedrooms

27.27% • 129 votes

I own multiple properties.

5.07% • 24 votes

You may not vote on this poll

473 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 9th Apr 19, 6:24 AM
    • 70Posts
    • 30Thanks
    homeless9
    For those aged 26-36 (Your housing situation)
    • 9th Apr 19, 6:24 AM
    For those aged 26-36 (Your housing situation) 9th Apr 19 at 6:24 AM
    For those aged 26-36, please select the option most relevant to you:
Page 1
    • SG27
    • By SG27 9th Apr 19, 6:33 AM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 1,926 Thanks
    SG27
    • 9th Apr 19, 6:33 AM
    • 9th Apr 19, 6:33 AM
    There's no poll??
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 9th Apr 19, 6:50 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    homeless9
    • 9th Apr 19, 6:50 AM
    • 9th Apr 19, 6:50 AM
    There's no poll??
    Originally posted by SG27
    There is now.
    • kates08
    • By kates08 9th Apr 19, 7:00 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    kates08
    • 9th Apr 19, 7:00 AM
    • 9th Apr 19, 7:00 AM
    I'm age 35. Bought first home, a 2 bed mid-terrace, at 24 with 100% mortgage (I know not recommended and no longer available but it worked for us), overpaid on the mortgage and 10 years later we moved to a 3 bed semi, equity in the previous house meant we had a 30% deposit. We're in the outer south east and hope to stay in this house for a long time.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 9th Apr 19, 7:17 AM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    • 9th Apr 19, 7:17 AM
    • 9th Apr 19, 7:17 AM
    Why those specific ages? Because I owned my own home at 20, divorced at 30, sold at 40 and rented, now buying again at 50 - where's my choice ?
    • DeeDee87
    • By DeeDee87 9th Apr 19, 7:21 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    DeeDee87
    • 9th Apr 19, 7:21 AM
    • 9th Apr 19, 7:21 AM
    I'm 32 and bf is 30 we bought our three bed terraced house august last year. No help to buy used, saved a slightly over 10% deposit and an extra 20k which enabled us to buy a property with long term potential and make it into what we wanted. In theory we should never NEED to move. in theory of course
    In Hertfordshire, south east if that's even relevant
    Last edited by DeeDee87; 09-04-2019 at 7:22 AM. Reason: additional text
    • gardian8
    • By gardian8 9th Apr 19, 7:27 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    gardian8
    • 9th Apr 19, 7:27 AM
    • 9th Apr 19, 7:27 AM
    I just scraped in at 36... Bought 1st home at 21 with girlfriend. Overpaid for 10 years or so then released the equity as a BTL for our current home keeping the old house as a rental. Rented that out for almost 4 years now. Looking to move again in the near future. Will be selling our current home to fund the move this time. Maybe look into another BTL when the dust settles
    • Finchy2018
    • By Finchy2018 9th Apr 19, 7:34 AM
    • 415 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    Finchy2018
    • 9th Apr 19, 7:34 AM
    • 9th Apr 19, 7:34 AM
    31 bought first house earlier this year 15% deposit, 1 bed end of terrace, will never need more space (might want eventually but don't need) I don't envisage moving again for at least 5 - 10 years if I can help it, I'd rather just get the mortgage paid off.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 9th Apr 19, 7:40 AM
    • 33,641 Posts
    • 67,577 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 9th Apr 19, 7:40 AM
    • 9th Apr 19, 7:40 AM
    Early days yet, but it looks as though most of the respondents own a home
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Apr 19, 7:43 AM
    • 29,533 Posts
    • 102,376 Thanks
    Davesnave
    We're all equal now, so I lied about my age.*

*Actually answered as my daughter age 35 who is in a long term house.

Other daughter 30 intends to buy with mortgage and no HTB in the next year or so and is saving about 20k a year to do this. Like you, the question is "where?" rather than "how?"
    Last edited by Davesnave; 09-04-2019 at 9:31 AM.
    Opportunities may be missed, especially when they arrive disguised as hard work.

• Sirrah67
    • By Sirrah67 9th Apr 19, 7:50 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    Sirrah67
    I can tell you about my kids.

Eldest (30) is in the process of buying a 3 bed detached with her partner, after renting for 8 years. Not using help to buy scheme, has 10% deposit.

Second (29) is in the process of buying a 3 bed Victorian terraced with his wife, after renting for 7 years. Not using help to buy scheme, has 7% deposit.

Youngest (26) is looking for a 2 bed house, doesn't want shared ownership so will probably not use help to buy. Currently has about 13k saved, close to a 10% deposit. Still living with us, which has allowed her to save more.

All in different parts of the Midlands, budgets from 150k to 250k.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 9th Apr 19, 7:56 AM
    • 33,641 Posts
    • 67,577 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    I can tell you about my son.

Bought a two-bedroom flat at age 32 with help from Bank of Mum and Dad for his deposit, in 2012. Lived in family home until then. He has a Living Wage job at Morrisons.
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 9th Apr 19, 7:57 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    homeless9
    Why those specific ages? Because I owned my own home at 20, divorced at 30, sold at 40 and rented, now buying again at 50 - where's my choice ?
    Originally posted by lookstraightahead
    lol, we all know that anyone aged 50+ is on the property ladder, if those who are 50+ and not on the property ladder then something obviously went very wrong.

The poll is to see how 'millennials' are doing. The thing is - I bet you many people above 36 have voted on the poll so this poll is void anyway.

+ you would think most people signed up to a 'moneysavingexpert' website would be savvy with their money so they are most likely to be on the property ladder or close to being on it.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 9th Apr 19, 8:11 AM
    • 15,985 Posts
    • 19,184 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    lol, we all know that anyone aged 50+ is on the property ladder, if those who are 50+ and not on the property ladder then something obviously went very wrong.

The poll is to see how 'millennials' are doing. The thing is - I bet you many people above 36 have voted on the poll so this poll is void anyway.

+ you would think most people signed up to a 'moneysavingexpert' website would be savvy with their money so they are most likely to be on the property ladder or close to being on it.
    Originally posted by homeless9
    Unless they are called "Crashy"
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 9th Apr 19, 8:30 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    homeless9
    Thanks for all the messages....they give a better insight than this poll.....

I am currently saving. I have a huge deposit after saving for years, plus I had a big windfall in the cryptocurrency mania. I have a 180,000 deposit, but I am single, I live in one of the most expensive towns outside of London (Surrey), I have a low paying job....

So even with such a big deposit I can only afford a 1 bed apartment around here and the types of apartment I want are rare (new build, in a small block, ok area, ok size)....

So my dilemma is:

1. Do I move away - much further away, somewhere I can afford a house.

2. Do I buy an apartment, find the love of my life, then buy a house with them.

3. Do I keep renting and investing. I am into the 'risky' investments. Cannabis stocks and Cryptocurrency. I am sure crypto will go crazy again and the Cannabis sector likely has massive growth ahead. There is a life changing opportunity here, of which could mean early retirement or at least an outright buy of a 2+ bedroom house. Obviously there is money to be lost, but I feel I play this game sensibly.

It's interesting to see where I stand amongst others in my 'age group'. Although I have decent savings I still feel poor in that I can't afford to buy a house, I feel that even with all this cash - I am behind others.
    Last edited by homeless9; 09-04-2019 at 8:34 AM.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Apr 19, 8:43 AM
    • 13,143 Posts
    • 14,942 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Funds derived from cryptocurrency create an interesting headache from a anti-money-laundering regulations point of view.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 9th Apr 19, 8:49 AM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    lookstraightahead

Originally posted by homeless9
    Ah but there you have it, stuff does go very wrong and with almost half of the population divorcing nowadays I think home ownership often comes in waves.

Anyway just feeling left out of the poll
    • ACG
    • By ACG 9th Apr 19, 8:54 AM
    • 19,539 Posts
    • 11,105 Thanks
    ACG
    I am 34, I own my own home. I had to buy a doer upper first, we did it up, made a good profit and now live in a nicer house and nicer area.

You need to be realistic, it is not that you can not afford a home, it is just that you can not afford what you want, where you want. If you move out of the south east, you could buy a 3 bedroom semi and live mortgage free in many areas.

I want to live 2 roads further up from where I live now, but house prices are 50k more than our house. The only difference is that it takes around 15 minutes to walk to the village and bars we go to rather than 5 minutes on the street I would like to live on. We could possibly have bought on that street at a stretch, but 50k to save 10 minutes walking once or twice a week just did not seem worth it.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 9th Apr 19, 9:14 AM
    • 3,551 Posts
    • 7,503 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Our (only) child -

Was extremely fortunate to be in a position to buy a two bed flat in Colliers Wood at aged 21 with his girlfriend (same age) and her two younger sisters, one of whom lived there too with her boyfriend.

This was a cash purchase in 2011 with a mix of inheritance and bank of mum and dad.

They sold in 2014, son and gf bought a one bed flat (again for cash) in Brighton while the sisters paid cash for two bed flat to let out in Bournemouth.

This year the sisters sold the BTL flat and are each purchasing their own places - not sure of funding (one is buying in Hastings, the other in mainland Europe), but think it'll be mainly cash.

DS and his partner now have a baby and are trading up to a two bed house which - again in Brighton - is 100k more than what they've sold their flat for. They'll be getting a mortgage for 100k to fund the difference.
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free for ten years!

Over 40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • Friday1989
    • By Friday1989 9th Apr 19, 9:16 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Friday1989
    I'm almost 30 and planning to buy on my own in the next year. I've been saving since I was about 14. I'm looking to buy on the outskirts of London so it's taking me a lot longer than I would have liked to get on the property ladder. .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,601Posts Today

5,671Users online

Martin's Twitter