Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RevolutVictim
    • By RevolutVictim 22nd Nov 18, 4:14 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RevolutVictim
    Revolut Card
    • 22nd Nov 18, 4:14 PM
    Revolut Card 22nd Nov 18 at 4:14 PM
    I have used two applications for international transfer. I would like to share my experience on both. Be aware of @revolutApp thieves! They stole 180 from my bank account. If you need to transfer money abroad with good exchange rates, use @transferwise. They do not set traps. Simple, straightforward, transparent, intuitive user interface.

Help me put social pressure to corporate bullies. Please retweet this:
    twitter.com/tozen/status/1065237815628349440
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 22nd Nov 18, 4:34 PM
    • 11,397 Posts
    • 14,150 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 22nd Nov 18, 4:34 PM
    • 22nd Nov 18, 4:34 PM
    I would like to share my experience on both.
    Originally posted by RevolutVictim
    Go on then! If you're looking for support in any form, feel free to explain a realistic amount of the story - simply alleging that they 'stole' your money without any further details is meaningless, especially when posters choosing emotive language like that (see also 'rip-off', 'fraud', etc) are often prone to embellishment and exaggeration....
    • dont_use_vistaprint
    • By dont_use_vistaprint 22nd Nov 18, 5:00 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    dont_use_vistaprint
    • 22nd Nov 18, 5:00 PM
    • 22nd Nov 18, 5:00 PM
    I and hundreds of colleagues use Revoult Cards and App all the time in Africa and Asia , they are a sound company providing a high quality product.

The spot rates are live, competitive and fee free. ATM's are free within your monthly allowance, and a tiny fee afterwards or pay 6 amonth. Transfers and bill splitting are simple, never had an issue.

Your post looks like SPAM tbh
    Last edited by dont_use_vistaprint; 22-11-2018 at 5:03 PM.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 22nd Nov 18, 5:19 PM
    • 11,397 Posts
    • 14,150 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 22nd Nov 18, 5:19 PM
    • 22nd Nov 18, 5:19 PM
    <rant>
    Your post looks like SPAM tbh
    Originally posted by dont_use_vistaprint
    Imagine creating a username specifically to have a cheap pop at a company, eh?
    • RevolutVictim
    • By RevolutVictim 23rd Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RevolutVictim
    • 23rd Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    Further Details
    • 23rd Nov 18, 9:30 AM
    I used the application to send money abroad. The amount that appeared on mobile app was 14000. But when I looked in my bank transactions, I saw that they had withdrawn 14180.

Their UI says they may charge if your card is outside EU. But I have a UK card and we are still in the EU. They deliberate use "may" in the sentence. Which made me think, they may but they wont because it does not apply to me.

I spoke to Barclays, they said they charge Revolut 0.30 for this transaction. So the remaining 139.70 is profit for Revolut. I complained. I asked for my money to be returned. But they refused. Once money is in their side, they will not give back. You cannot make a mistake with these corporate bullies. They will not forgive you if you blink. Hence I tried transferwise. I had a pleasant experience. Not all operators in finance are vultures waiting for your moment of error.

I looked through the list of feedback left in their application. There are many people who complain about similar experiences with them. But apparently Revolut does not give up. You have to follow it up to the Ombudsman.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 23rd Nov 18, 9:54 AM
    • 6,596 Posts
    • 4,424 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 23rd Nov 18, 9:54 AM
    • 23rd Nov 18, 9:54 AM
    Where were you sending money to? Where was the receiving account located? What Currency did you use?
    • dont_use_vistaprint
    • By dont_use_vistaprint 23rd Nov 18, 10:12 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    dont_use_vistaprint
    • 23rd Nov 18, 10:12 AM
    • 23rd Nov 18, 10:12 AM
    I used the application to send money abroad. The amount that appeared on mobile app was 14000. But when I looked in my bank transactions, I saw that they had withdrawn 14180.

Their UI says they may charge if your card is outside EU. But I have a UK card and we are still in the EU. They deliberate use "may" in the sentence. Which made me think, they may but they wont because it does not apply to me.

I spoke to Barclays, they said they charge Revolut 0.30 for this transaction. So the remaining 139.70 is profit for Revolut. I complained. I asked for my money to be returned. But they refused. Once money is in their side, they will not give back. You cannot make a mistake with these corporate bullies. They will not forgive you if you blink. Hence I tried transferwise. I had a pleasant experience. Not all operators in finance are vultures waiting for your moment of error.

I looked through the list of feedback left in their application. There are many people who complain about similar experiences with them. But apparently Revolut does not give up. You have to follow it up to the Ombudsman.
    Its clear in the terms that any transfer above 5K incurs 0.5%, plus SWIFT charges if they are applicable. If you are transferring sums of money like this Revolut isn't the cheapest solution, WorldRemit app might be better suited
    • RevolutVictim
    • By RevolutVictim 24th Nov 18, 10:43 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RevolutVictim
    • 24th Nov 18, 10:43 AM
    • 24th Nov 18, 10:43 AM
    I have not even sent the money yet. The money was taken to credit the money into Revolut account. Imagine what would add up to is I had sent the money over. My problem is this. If you buy anything on amazon, the total that shows on the confirmation screen is what is withdrawn from your account. But Revolut thieves take more money than you see in their confirmation screen. I saw 14000 in total the confirmation and in my bank account the total withdrawal was 14180. And apparently there is nothing you can do. If you had over your card details to thieves yourself, it is your responsibility when they help themselves.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 24th Nov 18, 11:10 AM
    • 4,936 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 24th Nov 18, 11:10 AM
    • 24th Nov 18, 11:10 AM
    What did Revolut tell you was the reason for the extra 180 when you asked them?
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 25th Nov 18, 12:36 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Revolut are a shoddy Russian outfit.

Had untold issues with account being locked-out for days. Support was hit-and-miss. They seem really eager to refer anything and everything to ombudsman.

I have a complaint lodged with Ombudsman now. Guess what? While we are awaiting the ombudsman decision, Revolut has sent me an email intended for another customer. His name and phone numbers are on the email. Then they sent me another email (this time addressed to me) and said 'Due to human error, some of another user's data was shared with you.'
    • colsten
    • By colsten 25th Nov 18, 1:57 PM
    • 11,055 Posts
    • 10,351 Thanks
    colsten
    Go on then! If you're looking for support in any form, feel free to explain a realistic amount of the story - simply alleging that they 'stole' your money without any further details is meaningless, especially when posters choosing emotive language like that (see also 'rip-off', 'fraud', etc) are often prone to embellishment and exaggeration....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    According to his Twitter, the OP is/was a Parliamentary Candidate. Can't expect a budding politician to provide you with any evidence. Just do as they tell you
    • colsten
    • By colsten 25th Nov 18, 2:11 PM
    • 11,055 Posts
    • 10,351 Thanks
    colsten
    Revolut are a shoddy Russian outfit.
    Originally posted by OceanSound
    Revolut is HQed in London. Their CEO is a British national, according to Companies House. They are authorised by the FCA. So if they are a shoddy outfit, as you claim, they are a shoddy British outfit. Or perhaps British-French, as one of the Directors is French, whilst the others are all British.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 25th Nov 18, 3:50 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    According to his Twitter, the OP is/was a Parliamentary Candidate. Can't expect a budding politician to provide you with any evidence. Just do as they tell you
    Originally posted by colsten
    Do as a BUDDING politician tells you?...DO try to make sense, will you.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 25th Nov 18, 4:33 PM
    • 11,055 Posts
    • 10,351 Thanks
    colsten
    Do as a BUDDING politician tells you?...DO try to make sense, will you.
    Just because you don't get the gist of it doesn't mean I am making no sense.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 25th Nov 18, 4:34 PM
    • 11,055 Posts
    • 10,351 Thanks
    colsten
    So gullible and delusional. Are you aware how easy it is for a Russian millionaire to obtain British citizenship?

On topic have a look at this; https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/customer-fury-at-nikolay-storonskys-revolut-lock-out-rgr2kbs2c
    I am neither gullible nor delusional. You though are rude.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 25th Nov 18, 5:29 PM
    • 4,300 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Revolut is HQed in London. Their CEO is a British national, according to Companies House. They are authorised by the FCA. So if they are a shoddy outfit, as you claim, they are a shoddy British outfit. Or perhaps British-French, as one of the Directors is French, whilst the others are all British.
    Originally posted by colsten
    The Founder and CEO is Nikolay Storonsky and the founder and CTO is Vlad Yatsenko. Doesn't sound British or French to me.
    https://www.revolut.com/about

I wonder if I can change my User Name to Scottish_Power_Sucks_Big_Time. Maybe not.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 26th Nov 18, 2:25 PM
    • 35,095 Posts
    • 22,175 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Revolut are great, not had an issue.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 26th Nov 18, 2:57 PM
    • 4,936 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    eDicky
    The fact that the two founders of Revolut are ethnic Russians inspires the confidence that has been upheld by my 3+ years of using their product with no unresolved problems.

Their staff are very multi ethnic, their CS staff in Krakow command better English than most Brits from my experience, and I suspect that they do well to avoid too much ethnic British participation.

I have yet to encounter any reports of complaints about their service that were demonstrably not due to incompetence, misuse, abuse or refusal to accept required account verification by the user.
    • dont_use_vistaprint
    • By dont_use_vistaprint 27th Nov 18, 1:57 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    dont_use_vistaprint
    Great company, great product. Its really revolutionised how people who travel a lot in Africa and Asia manage money and expenses. I used to be tied to awful UK dollar rates and have to carry huge amounts of dollars, trying to get $100 notes in the UK is problematic yet anything smaller attracts lower rates. Also had to carry cards in RFID cases to protect against scanning. Revolut saw these problems and solved them, now I just move money onto Revolut as and when I need it using the App , 50 or 100 at a time and get real spot rates from ATMs and Card Readers with instant notification. Its the only card I ever carry outside the UK
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 27th Nov 18, 2:06 PM
    • 4,936 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    eDicky
    Its the only card I ever carry outside the UK
    Originally posted by dont_use_vistaprint
    Don't make that mistake, have a backup or two in case of problems, sorting then out with Revolut (or any card) can take time/cost. Starling, Monzo, etc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

1,295Users online

Martin's Twitter