Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 2nd Nov 18, 10:24 AM
    • 4,093Posts
    • 705Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Halifax debit card cashback extras
    • 2nd Nov 18, 10:24 AM
    Halifax debit card cashback extras 2nd Nov 18 at 10:24 AM
    Ok i've done what i don't usually do and i took a look at page 2 of this forum and didn't see threads there either on it so don't shoot me

I logged in to my Halifax account just before & was hit with a cashback offer. I opted in to it as it was free so i thought why not.

Only thing is - i have 0 offers to activate apparently. So just wondering what the point in it is??

I haven't used my Halifax card for some time as i'm now a HSBC customer so only use the Halifax account for the 3 per month (my wife & I have 3 accounts between us - so 9).

Do i need to start using it to spark it in to life?

Page 1
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 2nd Nov 18, 10:50 AM
    • 2,199 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    • 2nd Nov 18, 10:50 AM
    • 2nd Nov 18, 10:50 AM
    Do i need to start using it to spark it in to life?
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    Yes. The cashback offers are selected for you individually, depending on the sort of places you spend your money, so you won't get the same offers as me, for example. If you don't use your card at all, you won't get any offers.

And, by the way, the 3 per month has now gone down to 2 per month.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 2nd Nov 18, 12:35 PM
    • 4,093 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 2nd Nov 18, 12:35 PM
    • 2nd Nov 18, 12:35 PM
    Yes. The cashback offers are selected for you individually, depending on the sort of places you spend your money, so you won't get the same offers as me, for example. If you don't use your card at all, you won't get any offers.

And, by the way, the 3 per month has now gone down to 2 per month.
    Originally posted by EarthBoy
    Is there a way to find out WHERE you'd need to spend for it to be worthwhile?

It's like when Santander was doing something like 2% cashback on 'department stores' - we don't have any here it turns out, or if we do then i never shopped in them.

So if these places are either not where i live or not where i shop then it'd be pointless me going through the effort of keeping it credited enough and using it.

• EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 2nd Nov 18, 12:47 PM
    • 2,199 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    • 2nd Nov 18, 12:47 PM
    • 2nd Nov 18, 12:47 PM
    Is there a way to find out WHERE you'd need to spend for it to be worthwhile?
    Not as far as I know.

I often get them for places to eat, -usually pub chains, but not necessarily chains I've been to previously. I've also had Waitrose, Co-op Stores, and car repair garage chains.
    Last edited by EarthBoy; 02-11-2018 at 5:46 PM.
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 2nd Nov 18, 7:07 PM
    • 2,818 Posts
    • 1,947 Thanks
    Vortigern
    • 2nd Nov 18, 7:07 PM
    • 2nd Nov 18, 7:07 PM
    Spend in ASDA and you'll probably get offers for Morrisons or Waitrose.

Or more broadly if you spend in a given merchant category, they'll give you offers from a similar merchant who's signed up to the scheme.
    • aj23
    • By aj23 6th Nov 18, 9:03 AM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    aj23
    • 6th Nov 18, 9:03 AM
    • 6th Nov 18, 9:03 AM
    Halifax give you hardly any offers. Santander give about 15-25.
    • elle may
    • By elle may 6th Nov 18, 11:43 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    elle may
    • 6th Nov 18, 11:43 AM
    • 6th Nov 18, 11:43 AM
    Spend in ASDA and you'll probably get offers for Morrisons or Waitrose.

Or more broadly if you spend in a given merchant category, they'll give you offers from a similar merchant who's signed up to the scheme.
    Originally posted by Vortigern
    I shop in asda and morrisons and the only one i get is the co-op, the rest are car companies, out door firms, insurance, and a host of daft ones i have never heard of. I have only been able to use the co-op ones for months. Funny thing is my husband only gets the co-op one too.
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 6th Nov 18, 12:36 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    • 6th Nov 18, 12:36 PM
    • 6th Nov 18, 12:36 PM
    Yeah I've noticed previously that you do have to spend it to 'Spark it to life' as you put it! I've only ever made small transactions in certain places for a few pounds and it's usually sparked offers
    • pochisoldi
    • By pochisoldi 6th Nov 18, 3:22 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    pochisoldi
    • 6th Nov 18, 3:22 PM
    • 6th Nov 18, 3:22 PM
    Yeah I've noticed previously that you do have to spend it to 'Spark it to life' as you put it! I've only ever made small transactions in certain places for a few pounds and it's usually sparked offers
    Originally posted by Jlawson118
    I can second this - the number of "grocery" type offers has dwindled to nothing. Meanwhile I consistently get hotels/car hire/eating out offers.

This is on the back of my Clarity card changing from being "card of choice" in 2016 (5 cashback on a 300 monthly spend), to the "every other month" forex card (with plenty of supermarket action when working away from home), to the "twice a year " forex card.

I might have to start using the card for small purchases from UK supermarkets to kick it back into life - sacrifice the 0.5% cashback on other cards on a small transaction for 5% plus on a big shop.

For the record, customers with a linked Clarity credit card and a Reward current account can get the deals when using either their credit or debit card, and (unlike NatWest's MyRewards), they don't distinguish between a 52 shop and a 2 shop+50 cashback on a debit card transaction hint hint...

PochiSoldi
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 6th Nov 18, 8:22 PM
    • 4,093 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    I saw that Morrisons are listed so i've told me mother about it since she shops there. She'll start using her Halifax card to see how it pans out.

Regards the Santander one though - don't you have to pay for that account?

• Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 6th Nov 18, 9:05 PM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 2,082 Thanks
    Herbalus
    I use a Clarity credit card (mainly used abroad) for a few transactions each month to get the DD. Always low value stuff. To give you some idea of where I shop, the last few months have been: One Stop, Sainsburys, restaurant, parking, Costa, independent cafe, Giraffe, Monsoon.

The rewards I have at the moment are All Bar One, Jamie's Italian, Robert Dyas, Nandos, Prezzo, Hilton, Byron, Burger King, Spar, EuropCar, Hungry Horse, National Express, Starbucks, Costa, and Neros.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 19th Dec 18, 9:42 AM
    • 4,093 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Well what a load of tosh this is.

My mother doesn't really go spending many places. Pretty much just supermarkets. Sainsbury's, Asda, Morrisons.

We spend at the same ones. We also spend in other places too. I activated it on the joint account my wife & I hold and started spending.

My mother has had about 5 cashback offers & we've had zero.

I'll go back to using my HSBC card then.

• Don80
    • By Don80 19th Dec 18, 10:39 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Don80
    Well what a load of tosh this is.

My mother doesn't really go spending many places. Pretty much just supermarkets. Sainsbury's, Asda, Morrisons.

We spend at the same ones. We also spend in other places too. I activated it on the joint account my wife & I hold and started spending.

My mother has had about 5 cashback offers & we've had zero.

I'll go back to using my HSBC card then.
    I'm with the Bank of Scotland (Halifax is just a Bank of Scotland brand name), and mostly use my debit card for supermarkets, the odd meal out, coffee, and I've had loads of useful offers, and this year had 25 in cashback. I don't know if it's true, but someone told me to only activate offers I am interested in, and to be careful. I had a 5% at Morrisons and accidentally bought my 3 lunch instead of doing a bigger shop! The cashback on things I'm buying anyway more than outweighs the interest I would get if I'd still been using my TSB account, so the switch has definitely been worthwhile for me. That and their customer service (so far) has been brilliant.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 19th Dec 18, 12:32 PM
    • 4,093 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Yeah don't get me wrong, IF you get cashback offers then it's a great deal.

For some reason though, we weren't. The only difference between my mother and us is our card was for a joint account and yes it was activated on both online accounts.

My mother probably spends bigger at the supermarkets as my brother & sister still live with her but we still spend at the same supermarkets.

• Don80
    • By Don80 19th Dec 18, 1:14 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Don80
    Yeah don't get me wrong, IF you get cashback offers then it's a great deal.

For some reason though, we weren't. The only difference between my mother and us is our card was for a joint account and yes it was activated on both online accounts.

My mother probably spends bigger at the supermarkets as my brother & sister still live with her but we still spend at the same supermarkets.
    This may be a daft question... but... have you activated everyday offers?

Since Halifax is a Bank of Scotland brand I assume it works the same way. In internet banking you need to turn on everyday offers.

Page 13 of the Halifax guide says it's the same
    https://static.halifax.co.uk/assets/pdf/bankaccounts/pdf/bank-account-guide.pdf
    Last edited by Don80; 19-12-2018 at 1:16 PM. Reason: Added info
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 19th Dec 18, 3:13 PM
    • 4,093 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    This may be a daft question... but... have you activated everyday offers?
    Originally posted by Don80

• Don80
    • By Don80 19th Dec 18, 4:11 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    Don80

Read that too quickly, sorry! I was in my own account and was looking at it at the same time, oh well, I tried!
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 19th Dec 18, 4:50 PM
    • 4,093 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver

Read that too quickly, sorry! I was in my own account and was looking at it at the same time, oh well, I tried!
    Originally posted by Don80
    No problem. I do that all the time anyway

• TOP CAT
    • By TOP CAT 29th Mar 19, 1:34 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    TOP CAT
    Has anyone been getting Robert Dyas offers recently
    I got about 3-4 last year which I used but now they have stopped
    • deadendwaterfall
    • By deadendwaterfall 6th Sep 19, 12:35 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    deadendwaterfall
    I've been getting Halifax cashback offers for places that 1. I've never, ever been to before and 2. The nearest branch of that place is many, many miles away in somewhere like Manchester or near to London etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

752Posts Today

6,959Users online

Martin's Twitter