Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 12th Jun 18, 12:39 PM
    • 1,342Posts
    • 8,028Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Prepping for Brexit thread
    • 12th Jun 18, 12:39 PM
    Prepping for Brexit thread 12th Jun 18 at 12:39 PM
    Hi guys
    Iím pretty well resolved to the fact that Brexit is going to affect us all. I donít want this thread to be a good or bad, right or wrong type thing.
    Just a positive, what can we prepare to make life easier, less expensive, less disruptive when it does happen.

My aims are to stock up on items I think are going to get more expensive. Also to try and save up an emergency fund ( that will be slow going as OH took early retirement due to illness) and Iím unemployed at the moment.

So my aims are to work out what items need to be stocked up
    To look for a job
    To live as frugally as possible while eating healthily
    To make sure the savings we have already donít get touched

So guys please feel free to join in and list anything you think may be affected. Or just to comment. That way we can help each other.

Hope to hear from you all soon
    Cuddles
Page 6
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 5th Jul 18, 6:56 AM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 8,028 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Hi guys
    Another lovely day here.
    Iím popping in early because Iíve been awake since 6 and am about to get ready to do my shift at the CS
    My online shop arrived on Tues and the cupboards are getting nicely full. So with not using up much am going to concentrate on getting rid of my CC bill before I continue.
    Another chaotic idea seems to be coming to the fore with Mrs May and her merry band meeting for another weekend of daft ideas. What I canít work out is why they have to go to Mrs Mays nice comfy country pad when theyíd get more done if they were locked in a hot stuffy office instead of being wined and dined.
    I hope everyone is keeping well, remembering that hot weather an be as dangerous to your health as cold.
    Anyway better go
    See you later guys
    Cuddles
    2019 Grocery Spend £1145.34/£2000
    October GS £60/£200
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Jul 18, 4:27 PM
    • 15,455 Posts
    • 150,781 Thanks
    mardatha
    Cuddles, these people don't do hard work in stuffy offices - that's for the peasants like us. They only do the big fancy meals with the hired waitresses and the butler - and loads of booze..
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Jul 18, 4:48 PM
    • 13,775 Posts
    • 187,308 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We'll make the best of whatever is decided or whatever happens won't we? we've a wealth of accumulated experience in all practical areas of life and someone somewhere will have good solutions to problems that crop up. The unknown is always much scarier than the reality of what happens and we OSers are resourceful, determined, capable and have make do and mend down to a fine art. We can all make £1 do the work of £2 and best of all we all help and support any of us who need it, whatever happens after Brexit we'll still have us!
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • MrsStepford
    • By MrsStepford 5th Jul 18, 7:01 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    MrsStepford
    I follow a journalist on twitter and this week he's been urging people to get prepared for Brexit, which sounds like the plot of a disaster movie. Especially scary when you voted Remain and your plans fr your future have been shattered.

If people get feral, we have 2m high walls at the back with prikka-strip and CCTV and a 6ft cast iron gate on the front door plus CCTV,

We've started selling books (raised £50 so far) and we have boxes of DVDs to take to Cash Converters and we're sorting out stuff to eBay.

Last year we used savings to pay off credit card and loan, to give ourselves extra leeway on tax /price rises.

I've just started buying in bulk, things that won't go off for awhile/at all like tinned tomatoes, olive oil and loo rolls, for example.

We plan to start redecorating in September so that we can get house more finished if we suddenly need to sell.

For health reasons we can't bulk up on carbs, grains and pulses. Will be buying another freezer in the autumn, a decent one to last a few years so we can stash more meat, poultry and fish.

May do a refresher course on foraging, so we can find sorrel and wild garlic, for example.

With proceeds of stuff sold, want to get OH a good secondhand fishing rod - you don't need a licence for sea-fishing and coast not too far from us.

Looking in charity shops first for things we want rather than stores.

Getting passports so we can go over to France before March and come back with tinned soupe de poissons, ratatouille, cassoulet and wine to drown sorrows.

Looking for a wind up/solar battery radio and torch. Also a portable water filtration thing so we can use stream nearby. Thermal undies, hot water bottles. Have a stash of logs. Solar-powered fans if they exist.

Allotment waiting list already 2 yrs long, will try to grow some of the more expensive veg. Going to look for a cookbook on bottling veg.

I find this scary. it makes me angry that people were duped by lying politicians. Brexit wouldn't improve our lives at all. We could have had blue passports, like Croatia and government knows it. This charlatan government has already shown its contempt for Parliament's sovereignty in trying to sideline it and force massively important votes through in a hurry. The likes of Rees-Mogg, May's husband and Farage want out of EU before the law on tax haven transparency comes into effect 01 January 2019. They don't want us to know how much they cream off the top of this country's wealth and hide.
    Last edited by MrsStepford; 05-07-2018 at 7:25 PM.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Jul 18, 8:29 PM
    • 13,775 Posts
    • 187,308 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    If it happens love we'll HAVE to deal with it and all that happens after it and hopefully make as good a life with what we find as we possibly can. The 'unknown' factor is what makes worries and uncertainty is unsettling but we're quite a resilient people and I'm pretty sure that we'll take the attitude of 'I'll show them' and be inventive and innovative and make ourselves as good a life as it's possible to make with what we find available. Think how the nation rose to the challenge of WW2, we don't like being underdogs, we'll get by!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 5th Jul 18, 9:31 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 8,028 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    The problem is Mrs LW that there are generations of people who have been brought up to expect the state to sort everything out for them and have never known not being able to buy what they want to eat at a reasonable price. There are a lot of people who can barely cook never mind cope with shortages and power cuts.
    Iíd like to think that people would step up and help each other but Iím not so sure. During the Second World War the people and before had to look after each other, or at least other family members. Nowadays families are spread across the country, even the world and expect others to look after their old and ill.
    I really really hope Iím wrong though.
    All we can do is prep and be ready.
    Cuddles
    2019 Grocery Spend £1145.34/£2000
    October GS £60/£200
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 5th Jul 18, 9:44 PM
    • 5,585 Posts
    • 81,667 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Thank you Mrs Stepford for your first and last paragraphs especially. To that end, shouldn't we also be prepping for consequences of NO Brexit?
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 6th Jul 18, 2:53 AM
    • 6,726 Posts
    • 102,784 Thanks
    fuddle
    I believe that consecutive governments since WW2 have orchestrated a life where we have to rely on, where we expect and should have. It's the foundation of our consumer based economy in my eyes.

What I do know, boy do I know, is that when the absolute worst happens the most self centred, spending, must-have, must keep up and ignorant amongst us can change into a self reliant, resilient, savvy and wise person, influencing offspring and spouse to change too.

It doesn't happen over night but it happened to me over the course of the last 9 years. We will embrace what is coming because we're primed to adapt for survival. Who knows some might actually come to love the frugal life. That can happen.
    ~ Be like a tree. Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf. Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing. ~
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Jul 18, 5:16 AM
    • 13,775 Posts
    • 187,308 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I think the British nation is a lot more competent and able than it thinks it is, we are NOT stupid and we have the capacity to learn and change our horizons and aspirations and whatever has been the norm in latter decades people really CAN make a good life IF Brexit happens. No one will sit and starve because they are depending on the government to feed them, life will undoubtedly be very different and the standard of affluence that is taken for granted as a 'right' will fade away but we'll more than survive. It's quite a surprise to see just how little you actually NEED to be fit and healthy as opposed to what you WANT to have. It's uncharted waters and in prospect it IS quite scary but most things in life that feel this way are copeable with when they actually happen. Change is never easy and usually means lots of hard work and adapting but it can sometimes lead to far better things than you ever thought were possible. Believe Fuddle in what she says, I've been on part of her journey with her and her lovely little family and I know how hard she's worked and how difficult it's been BUT she's made the changes, some of which were grindingly and devastatingly hard decisions to make and is through troubles and out into a very different and very much better life now, people are tougher than they believe aren't they?

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 6th Jul 18, 6:30 AM
    • 15,455 Posts
    • 150,781 Thanks
    mardatha
    Great posts! I'd agree with Fuds. Yes people have grown out of solidarity and self-resilience - but Tory govts since 2010 have been so focused on taking away power and money from the working poor that they have forced millions to learn fast. Even banks and police jobs are no longer safe - each and every one of these people will see the other side of life once they hit the Job Centre. Hard lessons but they won't be forgotten, whether we leave Europe or not.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 6th Jul 18, 6:34 AM
    • 15,455 Posts
    • 150,781 Thanks
    mardatha
    But MrsL .....any nation that voted this lot in again after watching Cameron & Osbourne do their stuff really must have more screws loose than a box of Meccano
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Jul 18, 6:36 AM
    • 13,775 Posts
    • 187,308 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    So we'll re-invent the screwdriver MAR and fix it!

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 6th Jul 18, 6:53 AM
    • 15,455 Posts
    • 150,781 Thanks
    mardatha
    A guillotine would be very handy if anybody has a blueprint ..
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Jul 18, 8:22 AM
    • 13,775 Posts
    • 187,308 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I don't do politics but I do vote as I feel is fitting because the opportunity to do so was hard won and because if I don't I can't complain about what government imposes on us. If Brexit happens, which is by no means a certainty then we'll have to make the best of it. A positive frame of mind will be much more helpful towards making the best of what we find ourselves with but negativity will stop us in our tracks through regrets that we might all share and might be the difference between floating on the new life or sinking beneath it. Some folks don't have the full range of practical skills that we had way back when but they will certainly pick them up pretty quickly from necessity and there are many of us older folk who will be able to help younger people in so many ways by teaching them how to do things old fashioned style. It need not be all gloom and doom although I'll expect a few spectacular storms along the way!

• VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 6th Jul 18, 8:37 AM
    • 5,585 Posts
    • 81,667 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I do think a lot of it is the uncertainty - we don't know what we are prepping for... we don't know what will happen, except it is likely that there may be a short term gap in the supply of goods we are used to and a long term hike in prices.

it isn't just the stuff from the EU - being a member of the EU gives us favourable terms on goods from the rest of the world and we just don't know if that will continue. The pound is likely to dive (again) so should we maybe buy some euros or $US? We simply don't produce enough goods here to feed us all so, whilst we can buy greek yogurt equivalents and somerset brie, it isn't as easy as that - there isn't going to be enough and so we will be forced to pay more for imported goods.

There are likely to be job losses and austerity measures will be hiked up again - that means less to spend on mending the roads, for example which will impact on the cars. Corbyn got mocked for bringing up the issue of buses the other day - but people rely on them, but those in westminster (and certainly those in charge of Brexit) have no notion of this. Certain services, mostly (I suspect) those affecting the poor and disadvantaged are going to be cut (again), there will be more homeless and more desperate people. Suicide rates have gone up exponentially since this government came in, this affects things like the train services (when the poor desperate souls fling themselves in front of them) as well as the emergency services, which are already stretched.

I know the thread at the beginning said 'no politics' but I am not sure how we get away from that. not knowing WHAT we are prepping for means that all these scenarios (albeit I accept some are extreme) are possible.

And in the event of NO brexit? Then there will be protests and riots the like of which we have never seen - the Poll tax protests will have nothing on the hoards who will be only too pleased to have an excuse to riot. Pity anyone who is of a different colour or nationality then....

so long term, of course we will cope, invent a new screwdriver (I like that analogy, Mrs LW) but short term? we just can't know except that it will be rough... And it was all avoidable and it was all based on lies and misinformation...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Jul 18, 8:44 AM
    • 13,775 Posts
    • 187,308 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Politics got us into this situation and I'm pretty sure it won't get us out of it too. Think back to the millennium and all the uncertainty there was about whether or not computer systems would cope and lots of people thought we'd revert to stone age savagery overnight but what happened was life as normal. I know circumstances here are different but it's still as much of an unknown quantity as the 1st of January in the year 2000 was. Prepping by its very nature is only trying to second guess the future and as we all know we each have a different perspective on what might happen, applies to Brexit too and unless anyone CAN see the future all any of us can do is make the preparations we think are going to be most use to us and our loved ones. Worrying about what might happen is futile and might give you ulcers!

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 6th Jul 18, 10:52 AM
    • 6,726 Posts
    • 102,784 Thanks
    fuddle
    I don't at all like this notion that people voted for Brexit simply because what politicians decided to write on a bus. Brexit voters have a say, have a voice, have a story to tell, have their own agendas, aspirations and above all, have an intellect, just like the Remainers.

It's very easy for the losing side to focus on something that doesn't shine the winning side in a very good light because it takes away their credibility.

It's all well and good for those of you out there who are ticking along very nicely and are opposed to a change. It's understandable. Don't fix what isn't broken but for many people change is appealing because they're just not part of this comfortable, prosperous life that being in the EU seems to deliver for other folk.
    ~ Be like a tree. Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf. Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing. ~
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Jul 18, 11:02 AM
    • 13,775 Posts
    • 187,308 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Two sides will always be two sides and no one likes to be seen as losing a vote. The Brexit result was so close anyway I wonder where we'd be if it had been exactly 50/50 and the nation split equally between stay and leave. I seem to think that the last time it happened we had a civil war! if that's the case I'm happy to put up with criticism and derogatory comments from the slightly smaller remain vote but I'm not aware of seeing gloating and triumphalism from the stay voters, perhaps that says something about why folks voted the way they chose to. I certainly gave long hard consideration to both sides of the arguments for and against staying or leaving and my decision, which is mine alone was reasoned and from experience and nothing to do with a bloke and a bus with writing on. I really hope that something as crucial to the future of the UK wasn't decided by people either liking or hating either the political parties involved or propaganda on busses and in the media.

• mardatha
    • By mardatha 6th Jul 18, 11:12 AM
    • 15,455 Posts
    • 150,781 Thanks
    mardatha
    I think 2 things are important. One is that people are aware now of how the govt lies. And how big and shameless the lies are.
    The other thing is that they can't defy the will of the people, it's democracy in action. If we let them away with this then things will go to hell. If they renege on this then I for one want a second Indy referendum lol .
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Jul 18, 11:50 AM
    • 13,775 Posts
    • 187,308 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Whoever is in government lies, it's how governments are, the party in power at any given moment is irrelevant they ALL LIE! they have always lied so it's really important that they are seen to honour the decision made by the populace however the individuals in that populace came to make the decision to vote stay or go and irrelevant of how we on OS voted, that's a personal choice and no ones business but our own, those who voted leave were slightly larger in number than those who voted stay so the government cannot be allowed to choose not to honour the will of the people or we are not a democracy and that would be even more unforgivable!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,669Posts Today

7,844Users online

Martin's Twitter