Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 17, 6:08 PM
    • 1,320Posts
    • 13,932Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 17, 6:08 PM
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 17 at 6:08 PM
    ‘Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    At the Christmas party hop
    Mistletoe hung where you can see
    Every couple tries to stop

Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    Let the Christmas spirit ring
    Later we'll have some pumpkin pie
    And we'll do some caroling’

Hello and welcome to the 7th Christmas Chatter Thread.

It’s hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2018!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    jakes-mum 19th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 13-11-2018 at 3:32 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975 SPC 12 - £705 (so far - as at 16/06/19)
Page 63
    • mandco
    • By mandco 11th Dec 18, 8:46 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 9,891 Thanks
    mandco
    GYD what a nightmare right on top if xmas glad no one was hurt
    Peppa love the trees & the reindeer
    storkie good luck with the fair

another one here who suddenly seems totally unorganised this week despite all the planning. The next week or so is pretty much fully booked already and not helped by the fact that dd informed me yesterday she finishes this week not next week like the boys so now need to jiggle a few things I had planned and the dog has an emergency appointment at the vets today as it looks like he now has an ear infection so that's more money I hadn't budgeted for love him but he's costing me a fortune lately
    finally got round to wrapping most of the presents yesterday though have a few left to do as for some bizarre reason I can't find the wrapping paper I brought for Taz - it was there last week and now its no where to be seen
    Still waiting on a couple of parcels and some photos then I'm pretty much finished gift wise other than a few top up vouchers which I'll pick up closer to the day.

The tree still needs finishing partly due to the fact I had gdg again for the weekend and she spent most of it trying to pull all the decs off.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 12th Dec 18, 11:54 AM
    • 944 Posts
    • 12,749 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    Hi all! I've been absent again due to a busy life taking over, i've missed the Christmas chatter but slowly getting on top of things now so will hopefully be back in the fold. Unfortunately I haven't got time to catch up, I hope you are all well. I'm pretty much there with the presents, just need to get on with the wrapping. I've written all of my cards but haven't sent them yet as I had 24 Christmas stamps left over at the beginning of this year so I put them by to use on my Christmas cards this Christmas but can I find them?! No I cannot! So i'm going to have to buy some more tomorrow. Thankfully it's only stamps so I know when I find the others i'll still be able to use them but it's flippin' annoying! We had Wiggle's fist Christmas play last Friday, it was the Wriggly Nativity and it was so cute! I cried at the end! But I absolutely loved it, the school play was one of the things I loved about Christmas when I was younger. Anyway, got lots of things to be getting on with this afternoon so i'll hopefully catch up with you all soon. xx
    • By 04624181 13th Dec 18, 6:43 AM
    • 558 Posts
    • 6,608 Thanks
    Good Morning Christmas lovers xx

Sorry I have not been on. Trying to sort out Christmas is proving to take twice as long this year. Christmas gift buying is more or less done now and wrapped. I just have some vouchers and money to put in gift envelopes and finish off the cards. Just need to concentrate on the food now.
    Still not operation date through yet but I am secretly hoping it will be new year now. Looking forward to a few Christmas events coming up, making memories with the kids.
    Hope everyone is well xx
    • Boose
    • By Boose 13th Dec 18, 7:44 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Boose
    Advent Calendars
    Hello,

Are there any online advent calendars to get freebies that anyone knows of and can kindly share please?
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 15th Dec 18, 7:11 AM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 18,148 Thanks
    nic2075
    Morning. Had a busy busy couple of weeks. Things starting to slow down a bit now. It's my works night out tonight. But we are to get snow and ice. Just hope I can still get there.
    Yesterday was the busiest but the best day. I work in a school kitchen, it was our school Christmas lunch. So serving over 350 turkey or steak pie in just 45 mins! It went well. But it took all week to prep. Looking forward to getting the few hours overtime payment in Jan!
    Then last night I took the kids into Glasgow city centre, to the Christmas market in George square. Then to see Peter Pan. It was icy cold. But we were all wrapped up and it made it feel more festive.

I am all set for Christmas. Just need to wrap now. It's hard as the kids are always here. Ideally I'd like a day the were all out for a couple of hours so I could get it all done in a oner.
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 15th Dec 18, 2:24 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 9,446 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress

Not sure this will work but after all the drama we finally got there
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 15th Dec 18, 5:37 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 28,912 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Looks wonderful girlinayellowdress!

Had a totally lazy day today. Weather has been cold and wet so spent most of the day in my pjs watching Harry Potter whilst other half wrapped his presents for me

Halfway through he shouted me - he had found a present for his daughter I had forgotten about so I now need to wrap that and buy another little something else for his son so they still have the same amount to open (I know I am a bit sad like that as they are both adults now but it will make me feel better about it)

Bags of presents will be dropped off tomorrow for most of other half's family as everyone will be all together so makes it easier. The less I need to do next week the better as will be on overtime at work with long days and last thing I want to be doing is rushing round everywhere.

Hope everyone is ok
    • charlotte1994
    • By charlotte1994 17th Dec 18, 7:13 AM
    • 818 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    charlotte1994
    nic2075 I hope you had a good time in the city centre! I miss Glasgow!

girlinayellowdress lovely tree!! Looks very festive!!

I started wrapping again last night, wow I didn't realise how many presents I had bought! I started buying August to spread the cost, I had hidden presents around the house (some of my OH presents in my baking cupboard ) The cat was "helping" me wrap by attacking the paper at every opportunity! I'm present swapping gifts with family thursday so we can all open our gifts Xmas morning I'm excited now! !
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 17th Dec 18, 8:07 AM
    • 4,121 Posts
    • 18,354 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Back to work today for a rest! Had such a busy weekend & managed to get soaked through to my skin on Sat, all I wanted was to get home & in the bath.

Yesterday, the charity sorted out the hampers and my stress level went through the roof. There is always one who turns up late and we were on a roll putting things in the bags, the "basics" which each was getting, tea, coffee, sugar, rice, porridge, pasta, spag, tin of biscuits etc and then each bag was going to be topped up relative to each family. Somehow the latecomer completely disrupted the routine, was insisting each bag had a tin of biscuits but there was one extra. I know there were 12 tins & 12 bags, I flipping well got them but was told I was wrong! In the end I left them to it, needed to be somewhere else at that stage, but was slightly hacked off that one bag was raided to give extra to another, which was not really the whole idea. On the plus side, there had been carol singing the day before in Tesco and the singers suddenly asked if they could have a bucket collection for our charity, so we ended up with over £100 which was unexpected. But the big plus is that I actually have space at home now, there was stuff everywhere

Have done as much as I can now, need to pack & be ready to load car on Wednesday night, working Thursday then driving to Holyhead Thursday evening, sail to Dublin on Friday, then finally have time to relax! Had to buy a new duvet, really struggling with the togs! Having to make do with 2 tog as 4 too warm for me - sad isn't it.

Something to look forward to in new year, doing a Nile cruise early Feb, cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!

Have a good week everyone, don't stress too much, it will be fine!
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 17th Dec 18, 7:07 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 2,342 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Evening all.

Feeling slightly more festive here now as we finally have the tree up. Need to put out my Xmas village tomorrow. And start wrapping presents. Can't believe it's next week - there's been no festive build up here whatsoever it feels like!

Builders probably not coming until next year now (thank goodness) - if we can work out who to hire and what to have done...

Had my first ever screening today (lucky me turning 25 at the start of the year ). Was petrified but it genuinely wasn't the end of the world like I thought it would be. Understand it can be awful for a lot of women though.

Brewing up an idea to drag my family out for a walk round the neighbour's lights sometime before the big day. We need to do something nice and festive. Not sure the weather or our inclination/energy to do it will hold up though.

Hope everyone has a good week.
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 19th Dec 18, 6:53 AM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 18,148 Thanks
    nic2075
    nic2075 I hope you had a good time in the city centre! I miss Glasgow!

girlinayellowdress lovely tree!! Looks very festive!!

I started wrapping again last night, wow I didn't realise how many presents I had bought! I started buying August to spread the cost, I had hidden presents around the house (some of my OH presents in my baking cupboard ) The cat was "helping" me wrap by attacking the paper at every opportunity! I'm present swapping gifts with family thursday so we can all open our gifts Xmas morning I'm excited now! !
    Originally posted by charlotte1994
    We had a good time thanks. George square looked bueatiful, made us feel all Christmassy. Just too busy for me.

Everyone's trees look great.

I can't believe how quickly December has gone! I want another couple of weeks before Christmas so I can do more nice things with the kids. We have loads of movies still to watch and treats to bake. I'll need to cram it all in on Sat and Sunday
    • By 04624181 19th Dec 18, 9:29 AM
    • 558 Posts
    • 6,608 Thanks
    Hello Christmas loving lovelies,

Well I am sooooo glad I got everything done last week as I was hit by the lurgy this weekend. Myself and DD have been ill ( husband said it was lovely and quiet as I had laryngitis!) Starting to feel more human now. My sis in law and 2 nephews have been ill too, so glad it is this week and not Christmas. Getting so excited now! Husband finishes work and DS finishes school on Friday lunchtime and then Christmas will be officially starting. Keto diet will be on hold until the day after Boxing day. Cannot wait.

Hope everybody is doing well
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 19th Dec 18, 6:24 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 13,932 Thanks
    3forholidays
    I'm assuming that everyone is ok with me organising the new thread that will go live on Christmas Eve?

Any ideas for a title?

edited to add some suggestions -

O Christmas Tree
    Santa Claus is Coming to Town
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 19-12-2018 at 6:27 PM. Reason: Some suggestions for new thread title
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975 SPC 12 - £705 (so far - as at 16/06/19)
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 19th Dec 18, 7:50 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 18,148 Thanks
    nic2075
    I'm assuming that everyone is ok with me organising the new thread that will go live on Christmas Eve?

Any ideas for a title?

O Christmas Tree
    Originally posted by 3forholidays

Sounds good. I like O Christmas tree.
    trying to think what we have had before. I know we had let it snow, walking in a winter wonderland, stop the cavalry, it's the most wonderful time of the year. Wish it could be Christmas every day, the Holly and the ivy. (Had to go back to check lol)

Santa Claus is coming to town is good too.
    Sleigh bells ring
    Merry Christmas everyone
    Im dreaming of a white Christmas
    Step into Christmas
    Last edited by nic2075; 19-12-2018 at 7:58 PM. Reason: Old thread research
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 19th Dec 18, 7:53 PM
    • 8,149 Posts
    • 54,030 Thanks
    kerri gt

Any ideas for a title?

O Christmas Tree
    Originally posted by 3forholidays
    What was the song all th fuss was about this year, was it 'Baby its cold outside' ?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 19th Dec 18, 10:45 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 17,750 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Yes please 3FORHOLIDAYS!

I like ‘Step into Christmas’ because that’s what we all do when we come on here. Mind you I know Elton isn’t a real hit with some of us so that could be a problem
    The Twelve Months of Christmas? Not a song title though.
    A Partridge in a Pear Tree (or any of the things in the song)?
    Silver Bells?
    Jingle all the Way?
    All I Want for Christmas (as in ‘is you’ not ‘is my two front teeth’)

I think I’d better go to bed lol.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 20th Dec 18, 6:19 AM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 18,148 Thanks
    nic2075
    I was lying in bed last night and Miseltoe and Whine came into my head as a good title lol. Seemed daft this morning. We aren't very whiney. This is probably one of the nicest forums/groups Im in.

5 sleeps
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 20th Dec 18, 7:51 AM
    • 4,121 Posts
    • 18,354 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    You better watch out? Would be appropriate for us bargain hunters!

Anyway, I am off to Ireland this evening, so while I have the chance, I want to wish you & yours a very happy, peaceful, relaxed Christmas. Some of you have had a tough time over the last year, but you are strong & have got through it as best you can, which is all anyone can ask for.

Happy Christmas everyone, will see you all again in new year! (Think I will ban myself from the WWW until then!)
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • By 04624181 20th Dec 18, 7:54 AM
    • 558 Posts
    • 6,608 Thanks
    3forholidays Thank you it would be great if you made the lovely new thread for next year xx

I love Jingle all the way (Thanks Peppa) it is my favourite Christmas film and I think we Jingle all the way through to Christmas together lol

Just want to wish everybody a very Merry Christmas before we all get busy.
    • By 04624181 20th Dec 18, 7:55 AM
    • 558 Posts
    • 6,608 Thanks
    GTQ- Have a safe journey and a Vey Merry Christmas and Happy new year to you too xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,434Posts Today

8,493Users online

Martin's Twitter