Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pebrey
    • By pebrey 21st Jun 17, 10:22 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    pebrey
    Isis Solar - Free Panels - something fishy going on?
    • 21st Jun 17, 10:22 AM
    Isis Solar - Free Panels - something fishy going on? 21st Jun 17 at 10:22 AM
    We were one of the many households that jumped on the ISIS Solar bandwagon back in 2011 and had free solar panels installed.

We are just coming to sell our house, and I've found out that ISIS Solar have gone out of business, so in theory ownership of the panels should revert back to me.

However, I've been doing some research and it's a bit more complicated, so I'd really like some input or if anyone has any further information.

Here's what I found so far:

ISIS Solar were incorporated on 2nd July 2010. Administrators were appointed on 24th November 2015, and the company was dissolved on 8th March 2017.

ISIS Solar 1 was incorporated on 26th August 2010. It's still marked as active, but they have only ever filed accounts for a dormant company (Lsst filing for the period to 30th March, 2016)

ISIS Solar 2 was incorporated on 14th June 2010 as Switch Energy. Name changed to ISIS Solar 2 on 30th Nov 2010. A compulsory strike-off notice was issued on 18th Oct 2011, and that notice was discontinued on 11th Feb 2012. Once again, this company have only ever submitted accounts for a dormant company.

All of the "Accounts for a dormant company" submissions show a balance sheet of just the share capital (100), and no assets.

On checking my contract / roof lease is with ISIS Solar 2, and as far as I am aware, that is who we dealt with (and have spoken to a number of times since).

But, none of the phone numbers for ISIS Solar (0, 1 or 2) work. I spoke to the administrators for the original ISIS Solar company, and they said that the original ISIS solar was just a holding company for the others, and that the contracts were now being looked after by Solar O&M. Incorporated 15th September 2015. (Unsurprisingly by the same directors at the same address).

So, ISIS solar was a holding company for at least 2 other ISIS Solar companies, none of which have ever declared any assets, despite having contracts in place for the solar panels. Those subsidiary companies have been declaring dormant accounts, and now the contracts are been managed by another un-related company (Which shows big liabilities on the balance sheet - as if they maybe bought the contracts?).

It's all very suspicious in my mind. Can anyone shed any light?
Page 1
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 21st Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    • 2,940 Posts
    • 3,400 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 21st Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    • 21st Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    .....so in theory ownership of the panels should revert back to me.
    Originally posted by pebrey
    Is that your assumption or does it actually say that in the contract you agreed ...?

It is not unusual for the assets, such as your contract, of defunct companies to be bought/sold on administration, and often by new companies run by the same people .... could be morally questionable in some cases but not illegal (mostly).

You need to establish exactly who owns what now otherwise you will have great difficulty finding a buyer for your house.
    Last edited by TonyMMM; 21-06-2017 at 4:10 PM.
    • pebrey
    • By pebrey 21st Jun 17, 10:44 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pebrey
    • 21st Jun 17, 10:44 AM
    • 21st Jun 17, 10:44 AM
    I need to read the contract again on, but I think it's covered in the terminations clause - they may choose to leave the panels or remove them at their expense.

However, my contract is in theory still valid, as it's with ISIS Solar 2 who are still shown as active on companies house.

It would also be perfectly valid for them to have sold those contracts on. However, if they had sold them, they would have to reflect it in the accounts, and according to their submissions they have never had any assets (The contract, part of which is a lease of the roof space) would be an asset? When they sold the contract, presumably they would have been paid, hence the company would have traded, so would need to submit accounts.

....and who has been claiming the feed in tariff all this time?

but yes - I need to get to the bottom of it otherwise the solicitors will have a field day....
    • bris
    • By bris 21st Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    • 8,815 Posts
    • 7,705 Thanks
    bris
    • 21st Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    • 21st Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    The solar panels will never revert back to you, you gave away your roof to boil a kettle (if your lucky) on a sunny day.

The solar panels will keep changing hands, going round in circles by companies who know how to play the system and will continue to do so. In the nicest possible way it's really none of your business who owns the panels.
    • pebrey
    • By pebrey 21st Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pebrey
    • 21st Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 21st Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    Not so. The contract does have a clause where ownership reverts to us - if they decide to exercise their option not to pay for them to be removed and the contract was terminated by them. (As opposed to us buying them out).

It also had clauses about their liability should anything go wrong, or maintenance being planned etc etc.

That and the fact that it's not actually the roof - its the space above the roof. And ISIS solar 2 are specifically listed as the tenants.

Oh - and I must tell them if I'm moving. Thing is, who do I tell? And who do I contact?

...and that /still/ doesn't explain how a company that has a gazillion leases in place for god knows how many solar panels has never actually spent or earned a penny? (At least according to their companies house filings).

And if I buy them out as per the contract, if they don't own them, how can they sell them?

Many questions - was rather hoping someone else who used them may have moved and had the experience already?
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 21st Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    • 3,445 Posts
    • 4,634 Thanks
    George Michael
    • 21st Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    • 21st Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    The solar panels will never revert back to you, you gave away your roof to boil a kettle (if your lucky) on a sunny day.
    Originally posted by bris
    That's obviously a comment from someone who doesn't have the faintest idea of the output of modern solar panels.
    I have a 3.9kW system on my property and today it produced 24.7kWh.
    This is more than enough to cover all of my electricity needs during the day including running a washing machine for a couple of loads and also my dishwasher.
    To put it another way, I could boil a kettle and providing I kept it topped up, I could boil it all day long and it wouldn't cost me a penny in electricity charges.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 21st Jun 17, 7:37 PM
    • 16,688 Posts
    • 23,136 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 21st Jun 17, 7:37 PM
    • 21st Jun 17, 7:37 PM
    The issue is that your house is not sellable until you resolve this.

To be able to sell your house, one of the following needs to happen:

1. get it in writing that YOU are now the owner of the panels

2. Get the panels taken off and given back to the company.

3. Buy the panels off the company.

4. Get some sort of indemnity insurance against future owners having costs relating to the panels.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 22nd Jun 17, 2:12 PM
    • 7,919 Posts
    • 7,744 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 2:12 PM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 2:12 PM
    Am I smelling luncheon meant?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 22nd Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 22nd Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    From the rules:
    Please don't quote any post you believe is spam, as this causes the team more work.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 22nd Jun 17, 7:45 PM
    • 7,919 Posts
    • 7,744 Thanks
    DoaM
    I always quote a spam post but change the content to so the forum flow still makes sense.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 22nd Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    I always quote a spam post but change the content to so the forum flow still makes sense.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    ...until the spam post disappears.
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 22nd Jun 17, 7:59 PM
    • 2,233 Posts
    • 2,227 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    I had no idea that terrorists had branched out into solar panels.....
    Je suis sabot...
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 23rd Jun 17, 6:23 AM
    • 23,620 Posts
    • 63,704 Thanks
    Pollycat
    From the rules:

Originally posted by wealdroam
    I delete my whole message when a spam post has been removed - as I have just done..
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 23rd Jun 17, 8:53 AM
    • 7,919 Posts
    • 7,744 Thanks
    DoaM
    ...until the spam post disappears.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    Which is fine if ...

I delete my whole message when a spam post has been removed - as I have just done..
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    But not everyone does. So quoting but changing the spam post usually prevents people thinking it was their genuine post that was the spam post after the real spam post has been nuked.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 23rd Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    • 23,620 Posts
    • 63,704 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Which is fine if ...

But not everyone does. So quoting but changing the spam post usually prevents people thinking it was their genuine post that was the spam post after the real spam post has been nuked.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    I can't speak for anyone else.
    I've just said what I do - which is evident by the absence of the post quoted.
    That way the forum flow makes sense & no genuine poster thinks I'm referring to their post as
    • HonestJon2017
    • By HonestJon2017 26th Jul 17, 3:00 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HonestJon2017
    Contact number
    Hi, wondering if anyone out there has a contact number for ISIS 2 or Solar O&M??
    Thanks
    • z1a
    • By z1a 26th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 2,327 Posts
    • 2,383 Thanks
    z1a
    "Revert back"?
    • bris
    • By bris 27th Jul 17, 6:38 PM
    • 8,815 Posts
    • 7,705 Thanks
    bris
    That's obviously a comment from someone who doesn't have the faintest idea of the output of modern solar panels.
    I have a 3.9kW system on my property and today it produced 24.7kWh.
    This is more than enough to cover all of my electricity needs during the day including running a washing machine for a couple of loads and also my dishwasher.
    To put it another way, I could boil a kettle and providing I kept it topped up, I could boil it all day long and it wouldn't cost me a penny in electricity charges.
    Originally posted by George Michael
    Well actually I have 20 panels on my roof and your 24.7 kw day was spread over around 12 hours so at max you would have about 2k of power at any given time, which is not enough to boil your kettle.

The meter will start running again when under load, the excess goes towards your FIT payments so you didn't get you entire day for free. If you gave away your roof (I have no idea if you did or not) you don't even get the FIT payments so it's not worth losing your roof over a few pence a day.
    Last edited by bris; 27-07-2017 at 6:41 PM.
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 27th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 3,445 Posts
    • 4,634 Thanks
    George Michael
    Well actually I have 20 panels on my roof and your 24.7 kw day was spread over around 12 hours so at max you would have about 2k of power at any given time, which is not enough to boil your kettle.
    Wrong again I'm afraid.
    On a bright sunny day, the peak power produced by my system is about 3.4kW and best I've had to date is 3.72kW.

I bought my system about 19 months ago and it cost 6200.
    In the first year my payments received were 680 and both my electricity and gas bills dropped dramatically and this year looks like it's going to be better.
    Even ignoring my reduced energy bills and just taking the payments I received into account, I am receiving an annual return on my 6200 which is well in excess of 10%. Try getting a return like than from a bank.

The meter will start running again when under load, the excess goes towards your FIT payments so you didn't get you entire day for free
    Surely if you have solar panels you must know that isn't how the system works.
    It's not a case of getting paid for any excess electricity fed back into the grid.
    You get paid a fixed amount for every Kwh that is generated irrespective of whether you use that electricity or not and you also receive a feed in payment for 50% of what you generate and you receive both of these payments even if you use 100% of the electricity generated by your panels.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 28th Jul 17, 1:55 AM
    • 3,867 Posts
    • 4,170 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Have you asked your conveyancing solicitors - this must be a question that has been raised before. Do get their advice before putting the house on the market, because I have heard that some lenders will be reluctant to give mortgages on houses with solar panels, even without your ownership situation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

1,796Users online

Martin's Twitter