Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jeanzbeanz
    • By jeanzbeanz 21st Apr 17, 10:49 AM
    • 54Posts
    • 45Thanks
    jeanzbeanz
    Royal Mail redirection - is it worth it?
    • 21st Apr 17, 10:49 AM
    Royal Mail redirection - is it worth it? 21st Apr 17 at 10:49 AM
    We're hoping to move house in 10 days (although not exchanged on the new place yet eeeeeek) and I'm wondering whether to sign up for the RM redirection service or not.

I have made a pretty comprehensive list (I think) of organisations to contact once we have exchanged on the new place, to update our address. We get very little other mail, in fact the majority would be junk mail which isn't addressed to us anyway......

Has anyone else used this service recently? What's your verdict? **stressing**
Page 1
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 21st Apr 17, 10:55 AM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 5,175 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 21st Apr 17, 10:55 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 10:55 AM
    As per Royal Mail website:

Up to 3 months 31.99
    Up to 6 months 43.99
    Up to 12 months 62.99

I know everyone feels pretty poor after buying a house, but it's hardly gonna break the bank is it?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 21st Apr 17, 10:59 AM
    • 13,156 Posts
    • 14,958 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 21st Apr 17, 10:59 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 10:59 AM
    There'll be an overlap period where things are already in the system to come to you, and not everyone will update their records instantly, so I would always want at least an initial period of redirection.

And there'll be people who need told twice, or who don't normally post anything to you but suddenly start doing so, or who you forgot about.
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 21st Apr 17, 11:04 AM
    • 1,672 Posts
    • 3,046 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:04 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:04 AM
    Some important organisations only write to you once a year, pension providers for instance with your annual statement. I have always had a 12 month redirection and see it as very useful. You really don't want your buyers starting to throw things away after a week or two. 62.99 is peanuts compared with the possible inconvenience.
    Last edited by Rain Shadow; 21-04-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 21st Apr 17, 11:07 AM
    • 10,107 Posts
    • 12,729 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:07 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:07 AM
    Redirection is possibly more useful in stopping the next occupants of your old house using your name for identity theft. Once you've considered the cost for 3 months you might as well pay the same amount again and get the rest of the year.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Sandhy
    • By Sandhy 21st Apr 17, 11:49 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    Sandhy
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:49 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:49 AM
    It's worth while pointing out the price for re-directing is per each surname.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 21st Apr 17, 11:54 AM
    • 2,771 Posts
    • 2,407 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:54 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:54 AM
    I used it and thought it good value. Most organisations did change my address on request but there was still mail dribbling through several months later and as for Xmas Cards!!!
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 21st Apr 17, 11:58 AM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 15,057 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:58 AM
    • 21st Apr 17, 11:58 AM
    It's worth while pointing out the price for re-directing is per each surname.
    Originally posted by Sandhy
    Silly question, but as someone with an unusual surname who is marrying someone with a 'normal surname' what happens if mr and mrs smith sell to mr and Mrs smith?
    • Heather2603
    • By Heather2603 21st Apr 17, 12:12 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    Heather2603
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:12 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:12 PM
    We always do it. Just not worth the hassle of missing something important
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 21st Apr 17, 12:25 PM
    • 4,073 Posts
    • 11,006 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I'd do it, there's always something completely random that arrives in month 11 that you'd forgotten about!
    • 3mph
    • By 3mph 21st Apr 17, 12:33 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    3mph
    Did it 3 months ago and glad I did because despite thinking I had told everyone, I hadn't by a long way. Lots of correspondence you get just once a year. We are in rented, move in 2 months to flat we have just bought, will do a redirection from the rented and renew the one from our old house for at least another 6 months.

But fortunately all my winning and gifts and inheritances I apparently have had over the last few months I only get told by email so luckily contact with Nigeria continues.
    • HouseBuyer77
    • By HouseBuyer77 21st Apr 17, 12:57 PM
    • 935 Posts
    • 922 Thanks
    HouseBuyer77
    I've used the service twice and been very pleased with it both times.

In my particular case it was handy when I received a cheque from a lawyer handling an estate. The deceased was a family friend and I was unaware I was in the will. The address was a few months out of date but thanks to the redirection the letter + cheque came to me.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 21st Apr 17, 1:04 PM
    • 13,156 Posts
    • 14,958 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Silly question, but as someone with an unusual surname who is marrying someone with a 'normal surname' what happens if mr and mrs smith sell to mr and Mrs smith?
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    Then you rely on the postie being able to distinguish mail for the new and old occupiers. Obviously if they're all called "J Smith" then the task is impossible!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 21st Apr 17, 1:08 PM
    • 13,401 Posts
    • 227,214 Thanks
    greenbee
    I had stuff redirected for the full two years as I realised that mail was still arriving for my vendors after 12 months (they'd clearly only done 3 months). Some of it was clearly important, and I did get some letters from various financial institutions asking if I knew where they had gone. By this time I'd got rid of all their details. I still get stuff addressed to them now fairly regularly, and some looks important - it seems that a lot of organisations don't deal with returned mail.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 21st Apr 17, 1:10 PM
    • 34,846 Posts
    • 29,551 Thanks
    custardy
    Mail address to Mr/Mrs Smith would be delivered as normal.
    Mail with initial of full forename showing,would be redirection/delivered as appropriate.
    • always_sunny
    • By always_sunny 21st Apr 17, 1:28 PM
    • 7,307 Posts
    • 9,999 Thanks
    always_sunny
    I did use them but don't think I will in the future; I don't really get a lot of mail anymore, most bills are electronic, etc. Beside junk mail what letter people receive?
    If you will update all addresses, not sure it's worth the money!
    EU expat working in London
    • AndyTails
    • By AndyTails 21st Apr 17, 1:45 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    AndyTails

As someone with a 'normal' surname I've had this happen to me. When we moved out of a rental we ticked a box saying "redirect all mail with this surname". Turned out the new tenants had the same surname as us! Royal Mail redirected a few bits of their post, hence we found out and called Royal Mail, who changed it to "only if first name/initial matches", and we got no more redirected post that should have been theirs. I can't remember if we still got redirected mail that was for us or not, I think we did.
    • jeanzbeanz
    • By jeanzbeanz 21st Apr 17, 1:59 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    jeanzbeanz
    OK, I guess in the grand scheme of things it won't break the bank ... I might get it for 3 months. I honestly feel like I will be surprised if anything comes through redirected.. but we will see!
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 21st Apr 17, 2:05 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    sultanabran
    You just need to read the number of posts from people that have been given CCJs because they thought they had closed an account, then moved and not told the company and not used redirection to see that its cheap when compared with the potential cost of a CCJ!
    • jeanzbeanz
    • By jeanzbeanz 21st Apr 17, 2:17 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    jeanzbeanz
    Haha. I have no debts so this won't happen to me
    But I guess it only needs to pick up one bit of important mail to save massive inconvenience/cost.

Thanks for the input guys, I will set it up!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,106Posts Today

8,249Users online

Martin's Twitter