Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Sam M
    • By Former MSE Sam M 13th May 15, 3:43 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 159Thanks
    Former MSE Sam M
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards
    • 13th May 15, 3:43 PM
    0 WOW
    Travel credit cards 13th May 15 at 3:43 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 2
    • stevenpc
    • By stevenpc 8th Jan 16, 1:38 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    stevenpc
    just got the creation everyday card 12.9% limit £3000
    im well pleased will only use it abroad 2 trips planed has anyone preloaded this card before going away as would like to do that and use it to withdraw cash ??
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 9th Jan 16, 2:31 AM
    • 4,936 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    eDicky
    has anyone preloaded this card before going away as would like to do that and use it to withdraw cash ??
    Originally posted by stevenpc
    'Preloading' will surely be against their T&Cs. If it happens by chance occasionally there is unlikely to be a problem, but if you are obviously doing it deliberately for that purpose then they are likely to object and return the funds. The daily interest you are (presumably) trying to avoid is so insignificant that it is not worth the risk, especially if you pay off the withdrawn amounts as soon as possible after they appear on your account.
    Evolution, not revolution
    • Orville
    • By Orville 9th Jan 16, 4:58 AM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Orville
    I use the FairFx Euro Card. They do one for America but I haven't used it yet. You get better then high street conversion rates. If you input 02kdvies they waive the £9.95 signup fee too. You can check your balance via your mobile and top up as and when you need to while you are actually abroad. I have just used this in France with no problems at all.
    Last edited by Orville; 13-03-2016 at 2:10 PM.
    • stevenpc
    • By stevenpc 9th Jan 16, 9:56 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    stevenpc
    'Preloading' will surely be against their T&Cs. If it happens by chance occasionally there is unlikely to be a problem, but if you are obviously doing it deliberately for that purpose then they are likely to object and return the funds. The daily interest you are (presumably) trying to avoid is so insignificant that it is not worth the risk, especially if you pay off the withdrawn amounts as soon as possible after they appear on your account.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Internet where i stay is very unreliable and not keen on using internet cafs
    I only use pay as u go on my phone and dont use it for data ive also just registerd and orderd a card from revolut so have several options along with the cards from hell.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 9th Jan 16, 10:15 AM
    • 14,633 Posts
    • 13,075 Thanks
    zagfles
    I use the FairFx Euro Card. They do one for America but I havent used it yet. You get better then high street conversion rates. If you input 02kdvies you get the card for free too. You can check your balance via your mobile and top up as and when you need to while you are actually abroad. I have just used this in France with no problems at all, i withdrew euros, they did charge €1.50 i think it was. Restaurants were fine along with the shops too. A great card that hasn't let me down yet.
    Originally posted by Orville
    Just checked their current rate - it's rubbish - 1.3047 for EUR, the current Mastercard rate is 1.353851. And they charge extra for ATM withdrawals!

Far better value to use one of the cards in the MSE article.
    • craigieboy40
    • By craigieboy40 11th Jan 16, 2:41 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    craigieboy40
    Just used the creation card around Australia for 4 weeks. No problems what so ever. Exchange rates was great. Paid the value off when home.
    The only mistake i made was withdrawing the money from a Westpac ATM. They charged a fee seperate to my transaction. Used at Commonwealth Bank and ANZ bank ATM's no charge what so ever. A good travel card.
    • Orville
    • By Orville 18th Jan 16, 4:48 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Orville
    Just checked their current rate - it's rubbish - 1.3047 for EUR, the current Mastercard rate is 1.353851. And they charge extra for ATM withdrawals!

Far better value to use one of the cards in the MSE article.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    Exchange rates go up and down. When I used mine it was at E1.40. That was by far the best I could find for a front loaded card at the time. Forgive me if I am mistaken but the ones in this article are all credit cards aren't they..?

For me that wouldn't be an option either as my rating is poor. The fairfx gave me everything I needed at the time without getting credit again.They may charge extra for ATM withdrawls as you say, but the ones in the article i think charge interest from when you withdraw, so while it may not be an immediate charge if you don't clear it straight away you could very well end up paying more couldn't you?.
    Last edited by Orville; 18-01-2016 at 5:04 PM.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Jan 16, 5:51 PM
    • 14,633 Posts
    • 13,075 Thanks
    zagfles
    Exchange rates go up and down. When I used mine it was at E1.40.
    Then the Mastercard rate was probably 1.45 at the time. Let's check now. Fairfx is 1.2837. Mastercard is 1.313945. See a pattern?
    That was by far the best I could find for a front loaded card at the time.
    Well you didn't look very hard. Kalixa, Revolut give much better rates.
    Forgive me if I am mistaken but the ones in this article are all credit cards aren't they..?
    Err...yes the clue is in the title of this thread! But there are better pre-pay cards than Fairfx
    For me that wouldn't be an option either as my rating is poor. The fairfx gave me everything I needed at the time without getting credit again.They may charge extra for ATM withdrawls as you say, but the ones in the article i think charge interest from when you withdraw, so while it may not be an immediate charge if you don't clear it straight away you could very well end up paying more couldn't you?.
    Well you clear it straight away then, don't you? Or what I do, as soon as I get back off holiday. Obviously if you have the money to be able to load a pre-pay card, you have the money to pay a credit card off straight away. The interest is trivial, far less than the markup hidden in the rate of like of fairfx.
    • Orville
    • By Orville 18th Jan 16, 6:06 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Orville
    Then the Mastercard rate was probably 1.45 at the time. Let's check now. Fairfx is 1.2837. Mastercard is 1.313945. See a pattern? Well you didn't look very hard. Kalixa, Revolut give much better rates. Err...yes the clue is in the title of this thread! But there are better pre-pay cards than Fairfx Well you clear it straight away then, don't you? Or what I do, as soon as I get back off holiday. Obviously if you have the money to be able to load a pre-pay card, you have the money to pay a credit card off straight away. The interest is trivial, far less than the markup hidden in the rate of like of fairfx.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    I looked at both of them but having read reviews on trust pilot I decided to go for the Fair fx.

You're correct the clue is in the title of the thread. Well done a brownie point for you

You might clear it straight away but you are presuming everyone would. I doubt somehow that would be the case. Like i said which you seem to have forgotten I have a poor credit history and the last thing I would want to do is go down the credit route.

You presume again. Who said I had the money to load it in one go..? I loaded mine over a period of time waiting till it got a round the E1.40 mark each time i did as I didn't have the cash up front.

Very easy to mouth off these things but everyone's circumstances are different. Master cards rate is better yeah and if people want to go and get another credit card fair dues. I do wonder though if you don't pay it back in full etc and over a period of time how much more expensive they would be.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 18th Jan 16, 6:22 PM
    • 15,988 Posts
    • 22,365 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I would hazard a guess that if somebody has bothered to get a Clarity credit card (or similar) specifically to save themselves money on foreign currency withdrawals, they are going to be on the ball when it comes to paying off the balance promptly.

I know I am, and the interest amounts to pennies, even for long periods away.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • Orville
    • By Orville 18th Jan 16, 7:19 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 1,006 Thanks
    Orville
    I would hazard a guess that if somebody has bothered to get a Clarity credit card (or similar) specifically to save themselves money on foreign currency withdrawals, they are going to be on the ball when it comes to paying off the balance promptly.

I know I am, and the interest amounts to pennies, even for long periods away.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Yes I don't deny that. I don't deny it's a better rate too :-).
    A lot of people are on the ball when it comes to paying balances out, yet some still for whatever reason don't.

I am not saying my way is the better way or most money saving. It was the right way for me. :-) I knew how much I had in there and when it was spent it was spent. If i wanted more, i could get it instantly by topping my card up. Just a question. On those cards if you hit your limit i take it there is no way of topping up should you get into trouble..? You would have to use your bank card i guess which can be very expensive. Also how is the limit set..? I take it credit checks are done..? I think I read on one of them that the worse your credit history is the more they charge you?. So in a way I would be panellised for using one of the cards.

Like I said, front loaded is better for me.

Am off now. Enjoy your evening :-)
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Jan 16, 9:52 PM
    • 14,633 Posts
    • 13,075 Thanks
    zagfles
    I looked at both of them but having read reviews on trust pilot I decided to go for the Fair fx.

You're correct the clue is in the title of the thread. Well done a brownie point for you
    Why, thank you!

You might clear it straight away but you are presuming everyone would. I doubt somehow that would be the case. Like i said which you seem to have forgotten I have a poor credit history and the last thing I would want to do is go down the credit route.

You presume again. Who said I had the money to load it in one go..? I loaded mine over a period of time waiting till it got a round the E1.40 mark each time i did as I didn't have the cash up front.
    If you can load a pre-paid card over a period of time, you can save in a savings account over a period of time. It's not rocket science.
    Very easy to mouth off these things but everyone's circumstances are different. Master cards rate is better yeah and if people want to go and get another credit card fair dues. I do wonder though if you don't pay it back in full etc and over a period of time how much more expensive they would be.
    You don't need a credit card to get the Mastercard rate. Kalixa pre-paid, uses it. I think Revolut does too. Or you can open a Metrobank account.

Anyway where's Nifty? This is his job.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Jan 16, 9:58 PM
    • 14,633 Posts
    • 13,075 Thanks
    zagfles
    Just a question. On those cards if you hit your limit i take it there is no way of topping up should you get into trouble..?
    You can just make a payment to it, just as easy as topping up a pre-paid card! If your credit limit is £1000 and you've reached it, you can just make a payment of eg £200 and you now only owe £800, so you can spend another £200.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 19th Jan 16, 2:12 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    I timed it so I pay the Clarity card one day after the cash withdrawal. Checked against the prevailing exchange rate, and it all works like it should.

Still no defence against the vagaries of the exchange rate, though. For JPY30,000, it costs £174.99 on 11th January, and £180.24 on 17th January. The Japanese YEN was around GBP1:JPY182 in November, it's now about 1:167 !

Probably a safe haven currency for all the capital fleeing China's troubles.

Well, a lot better than 1:120, I suppose. The stupid thing is, I will be paying for the hotel room tomorrow, and it will probably be the worst exchange rate so far. Guess what, it's also by far the biggest bill so far.
    Last edited by Pincher; 19-01-2016 at 2:20 AM.
    • stevenpc
    • By stevenpc 19th Jan 16, 5:19 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    stevenpc
    revolut
    well just for information i have had the revolut card for a couple of weeks and what i like is that in there software you can actualy see what the rate of exchange you will get there is no delay in processing that is what you get.
    so you can always check XE site to see what the rate is on that i have done this a couple of times and have found the rate given on the revolut is very good and have used the revolut.No messing waiting a couple of days for it to be processed and getting the rate on the day it is processed which could be very diferant to what it was on the day you made the transaction.
    • Yolina
    • By Yolina 19th Jan 16, 6:40 PM
    • 2,213 Posts
    • 2,049 Thanks
    Yolina
    The stupid thing is, I will be paying for the hotel room tomorrow, and it will probably be the worst exchange rate so far. Guess what, it's also by far the biggest bill so far.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    I feel your pain - last year I went to Switzerland just after the Swiss central bank did away with their peg to the Euro. CHF shot right up = hotel bill somewhat more painful (mitigated by no fx fee due the use of a PO platinum but still...)
    Things had more or less recovered over the year but right now the £ is heading the wrong way again and I'm going back there in 2 weeks time Luckily I shouldn't need any cash as the parents gave me some CHF for Xmas so between that and what little I have left over from last year I should manage without paying a visit to the ATM (but I'll be taking my Revolut just in case).
    Last edited by Yolina; 19-01-2016 at 6:50 PM.
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
    • koru
    • By koru 21st Jan 16, 4:19 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 694 Thanks
    koru
    No FX fees on the Santander 123 credit card for purchases during 2016. It has an annual fee, but if you have it for the cashback then might as well take advantage of no FX charges.
    koru
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 21st Jan 16, 4:43 PM
    • 15,988 Posts
    • 22,365 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    No FX fees on the Santander 123 credit card for purchases during 2016. It has an annual fee, but if you have it for the cashback then might as well take advantage of no FX charges.
    Originally posted by koru
    Would foreign purchases be eligible for cashback?
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • koru
    • By koru 26th Jan 16, 9:40 AM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 694 Thanks
    koru
    Would foreign purchases be eligible for cashback?
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    I don't think so. eg, the only Carrefour where you earn cashback is in Chelmsford
    http://www.santander-products.co.uk/credit_cards/cashback_search
    koru
    • EllieG63
    • By EllieG63 23rd Feb 16, 2:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    EllieG63
    I have just returned from a trip to Spain where I used the Creation card for some large purchases. Really pleased to see the "refund" for the foreign fee savings. My bank even have the cheek to charge me a "foreign cash fee" for getting foreign currency from anyone other than them using my debit card i.e. MY MONEY! shame on you Lloyds for that, bravo Creation for your foreign currency fee-free spending
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

51Posts Today

3,278Users online

Martin's Twitter