Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Helen Saxon
    • By MSE Helen Saxon 12th May 15, 9:36 PM
    • 75Posts
    • 44Thanks
    MSE Helen Saxon
    0 WOW
    Travel Money & Foreign Exchange Tips guide
    • 12th May 15, 9:36 PM
    0 WOW
    Travel Money & Foreign Exchange Tips guide 12th May 15 at 9:36 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 2
    • southportman
    • By southportman 9th Mar 16, 8:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    southportman
    if uk votes to leave the eurozone what effect will that have on the pound/euro exchange rate. will it go up or down?
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 9th Mar 16, 8:22 PM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 2,906 Thanks
    EssexExile
    if uk votes to leave the eurozone what effect will that have on the pound/euro exchange rate. will it go up or down?
    Originally posted by southportman
    The UK isn't in the Eurozone.
    If the UK votes to leave the EU then the rate will probably go up or down, but not necessarily.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • ionh
    • By ionh 13th Mar 16, 7:55 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ionh
    Best way to get euros...?
    I'm sure this is a standard question that's been addressed dozens of times, but i'm blowed if i can see an answer here...

I'm going to Portugal and will need best part of 1000 euros cash to pay for assorted bits and pieces. Looking at all the options, the cheapest i can come up with is:

(i) Preload my Clarity card account with (say) £500

(ii) Make ATM cash withdrawals when overseas

Anybody know better?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 14th Mar 16, 8:19 AM
    • 4,933 Posts
    • 3,032 Thanks
    eDicky
    (i) Preload my Clarity card account with (say) £500

(ii) Make ATM cash withdrawals when overseas

?
    Originally posted by ionh
    Withdrawing cash euros from ATM with your Clarify card will give you the best possible exchange rate. Contravening the card's T&Cs by 'pre loading' it would be at your own risk of any consequences.
    • DrowninginDebt
    • By DrowninginDebt 15th Jun 16, 8:37 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    DrowninginDebt
    Hi, 2 years ago, after completing an IVA early, I obtained a credit card (Aqua), paying in full each month to rebuild my credit score. However, for the past 10 months I have been working in Spain and have used this card only to withdraw cash at the ATMs. Ouch! I now hear you say as I now learn that this destroys your credit score!! I am due to work abroad again - could you please advise on the best credit or preloaded card just to use for withdrawing cash in Spain. Cheers!
    Profile name now out of date as, thankfully, with lots of help from this site, have cleared my debts 18 months early (apart from the mortgage which I am working on!). Many thanks MSE!!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 15th Jun 16, 9:33 AM
    • 4,933 Posts
    • 3,032 Thanks
    eDicky
    Ouch! I now hear you say as I now learn that this destroys your credit score!!
    Originally posted by DrowninginDebt
    It causes no destruction, the effect on your credit history is relatively minimal if there is no related indication of bad financial management. The 'Ouch!' for me is the thought of the fees you were paying to use the card for withdrawals. If it is the Aqua 'Reward' card it is fee free for foreign purchases (only).

Some (or all?) Santander debit and credit cards can be used without fees for withdrawals from Santander ATMs in Spain. Their 1|2|3 credit card is fee free for overseas use until the end of this year.

The Revolut prepaid MasterCard has no fees except for ATM withdrawals in excess of Ä650 per month.

In the London area you can obtain a Metro Bank debit card with no fees for use throughout Europe, issued immediately when you open an account with them in branch.

MSE info: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards
    • LeeTaylor1
    • By LeeTaylor1 15th Jun 16, 9:39 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LeeTaylor1
    Hi
    I'm off to Malta with my family at the end of July. I was told by a friend to take about £300 in Euros and the rest in £ Stirling as you get a better rate. Is this true, or would it be better to get a prepayment card I can use back in The UK if there is any surplus?
    • Rosie.b
    • By Rosie.b 15th Jun 16, 9:50 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rosie.b
    Santander debit card gives no charge cash in Spain
    IF you have a Santander 123 current account and you are depositing £500 per month you can withdrawn cash from a Santander ATM in Spain without charge
    • DrowninginDebt
    • By DrowninginDebt 15th Jun 16, 2:29 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    DrowninginDebt
    Thank you so much for all your helpful advice - head is clearer now!
    Profile name now out of date as, thankfully, with lots of help from this site, have cleared my debts 18 months early (apart from the mortgage which I am working on!). Many thanks MSE!!
    • RachaelPJam
    • By RachaelPJam 15th Jun 16, 2:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    RachaelPJam
    I think the Escape travel card might be useful to you. You load it with sterling and use it like a debit card in whichever country you go to. Then if you've got money left over it's in sterling so you don't have to convert back.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 15th Jun 16, 4:59 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    I think the Escape travel card might be useful to you. You load it with sterling and use it like a debit card in whichever country you go to. Then if you've got money left over it's in sterling so you don't have to convert back.
    Originally posted by RachaelPJam
    Oh please....Rachel one post. This is a money saving forum. The exchange rate matters.
    • Orange_wasps
    • By Orange_wasps 16th Jun 16, 9:52 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Orange_wasps
    TMM App
    I have an iPhone4 and the TMM app doesn't work. I can download it, but as soon as I tap it, it closes down. I don't want to change my phone (I can afford it, but I don't need it, as per the mantas) so do I have an alternative?
    • squeekymoo
    • By squeekymoo 14th Aug 16, 7:50 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    squeekymoo
    Croatia
    We are going to Croatia in September, can I use Halifax clarity credit card for purchases in Croatia. I think we will need £1000 for excursions, food, gifts etc but don't want to take all Kunas so though maybe £250 Kunas then the rest on credit card - does this sound reasonable or is there a better way, I don't want to be stuck with currency when I come home
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 14th Aug 16, 10:07 AM
    • 4,933 Posts
    • 3,032 Thanks
    eDicky
    I have an iPhone4 and the TMM app doesn't work. I can download it, but as soon as I tap it, it closes down. I don't want to change my phone (I can afford it, but I don't need it, as per the mantas) so do I have an alternative?
    Originally posted by Orange_wasps
    The main website: http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 14th Aug 16, 10:11 AM
    • 4,933 Posts
    • 3,032 Thanks
    eDicky
    We are going to Croatia in September, can I use Halifax clarity credit card for purchases in Croatia. I think we will need £1000 for excursions, food, gifts etc but don't want to take all Kunas so though maybe £250 Kunas then the rest on credit card - does this sound reasonable or is there a better way, I don't want to be stuck with currency when I come home
    Originally posted by squeekymoo
    Yes, you can use Clarity there, same as anywhere. You can also use it to withdraw local currency from ATMs as needed instead of paying more to purchase the cash before leaving. There is daily interest from withdrawals but it's minimal if you pay off asap.
    • PatrickPrecis
    • By PatrickPrecis 16th Aug 16, 4:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PatrickPrecis
    Halifax Clarity or Halifax Debit Card for foreign ATM withdrawals ?
    I had understood the Clarity Card to be one of the very cheapest ways of withdrawing cash abroad but i see that the Halifax website halifax.co.uk/travel/help-guidance/using-debit-credit-cards-abroad gives an example where their debit (Visa) card is cheaper to use than their clarity (mastercard) card. This seems to be due to a 11 cent difference between the mastercard settlement rate (1.38 euro per £) and the visa rate (1.27), on the date they chose for the worked example of 1 June 2015. That seems an astonishing variation ! Does anyone have experience of this - and has anyone found the debit card a cheaper option in practice than the Halifax clarity card ? Patrick Precis
    • zolablue25
    • By zolablue25 24th Aug 16, 11:10 AM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    zolablue25
    Off to Munich this weekend for a few days but don't have many Euros to play with. I have a Halifax Clarity and a Nationwide Gold Card (doesn't charge for Euro purchases) but I'm not sure which would be best to get cash out of an ATM with. Any advice?

Oh, also, do the ATMs ask whether you want to be charged in £s or Euros?

Edit: Ah, just noticed Gold Card charges 2.5% (minimum £3) for cash withdrawals overseas, so Clarity wins. Still not sure whether I need to select to be charged in Euros though when withdrawing cash?
    Last edited by zolablue25; 24-08-2016 at 11:21 AM.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 24th Aug 16, 12:50 PM
    • 4,933 Posts
    • 3,032 Thanks
    eDicky
    Still not sure whether I need to select to be charged in Euros though when withdrawing cash?
    Originally posted by zolablue25
    Yes, if the ATM offers you 'Conversion' and shows a rate and an amount in pounds, make sure you choose the other option (Without / No Conversion, etc). Then your Clarity does the conversion at the MasterCard rate.
    Evolution, not revolution
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 24th Aug 16, 1:40 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    I had understood the Clarity Card to be one of the very cheapest ways of withdrawing cash abroad but i see that the Halifax website halifax.co.uk/travel/help-guidance/using-debit-credit-cards-abroad gives an example where their debit (Visa) card is cheaper to use than their clarity (mastercard) card. This seems to be due to a 11 cent difference between the mastercard settlement rate (1.38 euro per £) and the visa rate (1.27), on the date they chose for the worked example of 1 June 2015. That seems an astonishing variation ! Does anyone have experience of this - and has anyone found the debit card a cheaper option in practice than the Halifax clarity card ? Patrick Precis
    Originally posted by PatrickPrecis
    It's a mistake on the website. There is in a fact a year's difference in the comparison.
    • MiraculousM
    • By MiraculousM 1st Sep 16, 9:33 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    MiraculousM
    Can i ask a question about the metro debit card? I have recently noticed that their exchange rate doesnt match the mastercard on the day exchange rate when i withdrew cash?

Is this something common? has anyone else noticed it? Am i to start strictly using my clarity credit card? I was using the debit as it was more convenient.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

89Posts Today

1,166Users online

Martin's Twitter