Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • savvy
    • By savvy 17th Feb 14, 3:47 PM
    • 30,204Posts
    • 47,068Thanks
    savvy
    0 WOW
    Flights, Currency & Car Hire Board Index
    • 17th Feb 14, 3:47 PM
    0 WOW
    Flights, Currency & Car Hire Board Index 17th Feb 14 at 3:47 PM
    This is an index to the previous stickies and important threads on this board:

Cheap Travel Money Discussion Area

Cheap Car Hire Article Discussion

Everyone Needs ESTA for US Travel

Feedback on Bureau de Change Providers

When Should I Buy My Currency?

US ($) Currency Thread 2
    Last edited by savvy; 18-02-2014 at 1:53 PM.
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm

I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones

Page 1
  • elinasara
    • 13th Mar 14, 1:59 PM
    • 13th Mar 14, 1:59 PM
    Thanks for sharing a useful post.
  • 1050Steve
    • 14th Aug 14, 1:03 PM
    pre paid Euro cards
    • 14th Aug 14, 1:03 PM
    I wonder if anyone has experience of prepaid Euro cards for petrol in France & Spain? I have read they may not work for tolls, especially in France, but has anyone had problems with petrol stations? I'm riding down to Murcia next month and have always ignored prepaid cards using credit cards instead (and don't want to apply for anymore) so thought it best to use one of these instead. I'll have cash as well as my usual credit cards.
    Any comments as well on which of the many cards people recommend (or don't), would be appreciated, many thanks
  • yinny
    • 16th Feb 15, 9:22 AM
    • 16th Feb 15, 9:22 AM
    If you are traveling to the USA this year and are going to hire a car STOP NOW!

Last night I was doing exactly this and was stunned at the different prices to hire cars from the UK site compared to the UK site for the same company. You have to dig to find the USA siate as once again they do not want you booking on the USA site rather than the UK site. This applies to Alamo, Dollar, Thrifty etc

My basic car no frill was going to cost me just under 1584 for 21 days pick up in Chicago and drop off in Los Angeles, It was this quote that made me hunt around. I found exactly the same deal on the UK site, same terms everything the same apart from the price. By booking on the USA site I saved over 1000. - MY MESSAGE - Always book on overseas sites and save a fortune.
    • Mayhorton
    • By Mayhorton 11th Aug 15, 3:17 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mayhorton
    • 11th Aug 15, 3:17 AM
    • 11th Aug 15, 3:17 AM
    Thanks for sharing. it's very informative post.
    • kimla10
    • By kimla10 26th Sep 15, 2:29 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kimla10
    • 26th Sep 15, 2:29 PM
    • 26th Sep 15, 2:29 PM
    Hello All,

trying to get cheap deals from Manchester to Frankfurt for Dec. i thought prices would be so much better this early. What is best time to look and best site to look? thanks for any advice Kim
    • fire_diamond1987
    • By fire_diamond1987 27th Jul 16, 3:10 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fire_diamond1987
    • 27th Jul 16, 3:10 AM
    • 27th Jul 16, 3:10 AM
    I love it. Thanks for sharing.
    • kathilindeman
    • By kathilindeman 30th Aug 16, 11:21 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kathilindeman
    • 30th Aug 16, 11:21 AM
    • 30th Aug 16, 11:21 AM
    Thanks for sharing, ..........try iEagle.com I have used them for 10 years, best website ever for budget flights. They cross reference all flights to find you the cheapest of the cheap.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 30th Aug 16, 1:22 PM
    • 19,059 Posts
    • 8,044 Thanks
    richardw
    • 30th Aug 16, 1:22 PM
    • 30th Aug 16, 1:22 PM
    ....They cross reference all flights...
    Originally posted by kathilindeman
    That sounds clever, please describe in more detail what they do.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • harvey99
    • By harvey99 22nd Sep 16, 4:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    harvey99
    I recentlyused a pre paid currency card and managed to lock in a pre Brexit Rate on the Euro.
    I must say its a great way to go , I used FairFX and it can be used pretty much anywhere other then petrol stations or tolls but you can also download an app which shows the balance and let you top up if needed. Well worth doing if going abroad.
    • jengraham69
    • By jengraham69 4th Oct 16, 4:15 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    jengraham69
    Yes,
    Thanks for sharing. it's really informative post.
    • Flightchecker
    • By Flightchecker 10th Dec 16, 9:00 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Flightchecker
    I think the best option is Caxton prepaid card ,global traveller one,is isuued in UK but is use abroad can be topped up by debit card,what is the best is that there is not charge abroad for transactions in foreign currency no charges for ATM too
    • pantaiema
    • By pantaiema 24th Dec 16, 10:41 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    pantaiema
    What happen with RYanair Website ??
    I have been trying to browse Ryan air website since Tuesday until today but the web site is blank. I have been using a different browsers, e.g Mozilla Firefox, Chrome, edge, etc

Has anyone had experience browsing Ryanair website recently ??

thanks
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 24th Dec 16, 11:07 PM
    • 12,399 Posts
    • 8,075 Thanks
    Caz3121
    Has anyone had experience browsing Ryanair website recently ??
    Originally posted by pantaiema
    works fine for me on Safari, Firefox and Chrome...maybe clear your cookies and cache
    • kimla10
    • By kimla10 21st Feb 17, 5:12 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kimla10
    urgent flight MAN-FRA family ill
    lets say you have family in Germany, USA.
    what happens when an older family member is in hospital or ill and you have a rucksack and ready to go?

I want to fly out in a couple days with no baggage so where do I start? I don't have all day to sit around an airport with this stupid 4 hr to 12 hr delay I could willingly strangle the person who thought up that scheme? its makes no common sense.

Apparently BA have a Basic deal (no luggage) but can I find it? NO

any advice? just want to get to FRA asap.
    thank you very much
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 21st Feb 17, 5:58 PM
    • 12,399 Posts
    • 8,075 Thanks
    Caz3121
    lets say you have family in Germany, USA.
    what happens when an older family member is in hospital or ill and you have a rucksack and ready to go?
    Confused - Germany, USA?

I want to fly out in a couple days with no baggage so where do I start? I don't have all day to sit around an airport with this stupid 4 hr to 12 hr delay I could willingly strangle the person who thought up that scheme? its makes no common sense.
    What scheme are you referring to?

Apparently BA have a Basic deal (no luggage) but can I find it? NO
    BA do not operate direct to FRA from MAN. You will find the 'Basic' fares if you look at the flights individually e.g. MAN-LHR and LHR-FRA

any advice? just want to get to FRA asap.
    thank you very much
    Originally posted by kimla10
    Lufthansa operate 4 direct flights most days from MAN-FRA, their 'Light' fare is hand luggage only
    You can book on the Lufthansa website
    • Michael24
    • By Michael24 27th Feb 17, 10:00 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Michael24
    We are going to Florida in June for two weeks, have a hire car with Virgin but declined their insurance. What tips and advice can you recommend to ensure we get the right cover at the right price for insurance please you wonderful people?
    • Victoria211
    • By Victoria211 31st Mar 17, 7:16 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Victoria211
    Thanks for sharing a useful post.
    • Janeyjaz
    • By Janeyjaz 1st May 17, 10:21 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Janeyjaz
    Ryanair flights
    Hi, booked flights from Treviso to Leeds Bradford in October to fly 18/07 but they have changed the flight time from 15.35 to 11.00 and they are offering to refund me, the flights are now 75 euros cheaper, would I be justified in cancelling them and rebooking at the cheaper rate, I also booked transfers with them and they have changed the transfer company and I'm not sure if the transfer is still valid.
    Titch
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 1st May 17, 10:28 AM
    • 8,316 Posts
    • 10,685 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Hi, booked flights from Treviso to Leeds Bradford in October to fly 18/07 but they have changed the flight time from 15.35 to 11.00 and they are offering to refund me, the flights are now 75 euros cheaper, would I be justified in cancelling them and rebooking at the cheaper rate
    Originally posted by Janeyjaz
    Yes. The refund might be slow coming through but will arrive. Don't hold fire on rebooking.

I also booked transfers with them and they have changed the transfer company and I'm not sure if the transfer is still valid.
    No idea.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

124Posts Today

1,738Users online

Martin's Twitter