Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • Mashuta
    • By Mashuta 10th Jul 08, 11:58 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mashuta
    Hello, does anyone know about HSBC Bank accoutn Plus? Is it true that they dont charge abroad?
  • RogerG
    Changing money abroad
    When getting moneyfrom an ATM abroad, the bank providing the ATM will sometimes charge a fee. My experience in NYC is that Chase charges a fixed fee of $1.75 and WaMu is the only one I have found there not to charge.
    Is there any way of finding out beforehand who does and does not charge a withdrawal fee in a particular country?
    Thannks
    Roger
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 10th Jul 08, 8:03 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    When getting moneyfrom an ATM abroad, the bank providing the ATM will sometimes charge a fee. My experience in NYC is that Chase charges a fixed fee of $1.75 and WaMu is the only one I have found there not to charge.
    Is there any way of finding out beforehand who does and does not charge a withdrawal fee in a particular country?
    Thannks
    Roger
    Originally posted by RogerG
    The USA (and maybe Canada) is the only place where charges are general (thanks to rabid anti-trust laws in the US which have made things worse for the consumer and better for the banks). Somewhere on this board there is a thread listing the few places that don't.

Elsewhere in the world charges are rare and generally confined to machines in such places as convenience stores and petrol stations - much the same as here.
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 10th Jul 08, 8:06 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    Hello, does anyone know about HSBC Bank accoutn Plus? Is it true that they dont charge abroad?
    Originally posted by Mashuta
    No it's not true. They don't charge fees but they do load the exchange rate like nearly all the others.
  • Tangoqueen
    Holiday money to USA - took the advice - just need clarification!
    Going to NYC in a few weeks with my family. Took moneysaving advice and am now the proud owner of a PO credit card and Nationwide Flexaccount Visa Debit Card. I only want to take a few hundred dollars cash and intend to withdraw money from my new Flexaccount whilst abroad. My question is when I am at home before buying foreign currency I can easily check exchange rates, when I am in NY withdrawing cash from an ATM is the exchange rate likely to be similar than at home, better or worse. I have tried searching for an answer but don't really understand my own question so it's difficult!!

NB I can take the advice and recommendations, but it doesn't mean I understand what I am doing!:confused:
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 10th Jul 08, 9:10 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    Going to NYC in a few weeks with my family. Took moneysaving advice and am now the proud owner of a PO credit card and Nationwide Flexaccount Visa Debit Card. I only want to take a few hundred dollars cash and intend to withdraw money from my new Flexaccount whilst abroad. My question is when I am at home before buying foreign currency I can easily check exchange rates, when I am in NY withdrawing cash from an ATM is the exchange rate likely to be similar than at home, better or worse. I have tried searching for an answer but don't really understand my own question so it's difficult!!

NB I can take the advice and recommendations, but it doesn't mean I understand what I am doing!:confused:
    Originally posted by lindalea
    The exchange rate is irrelevant - it will be near enough the same in every single cash machine in the US so there's no point in checking rates. You won't know what it is until you get your statement - or access it online.

It will be better (by 5% typically) than you would get changing cash at home. Allow for a small fixed charge (a dollar or two) by the ATM owner - much more common in the US than here.

http://corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_services/consumer_ex_rates.jsp

will give you an idea of the rates
    • WishI'dReadSooner
    • By WishI'dReadSooner 10th Jul 08, 10:07 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 18,606 Thanks
    WishI'dReadSooner
    Hi All, I would remind all travellers that getting cash from a bank or change place in yourown country is not always a very good idea .I am not a very well travelled individual but I do know that a few years ago it was much better to change your sterling in Turkey as you got a much better rate there than in the UK,as much as 5 %better.This may no longer be the case in Turkey as I have not been there in 5 years and their currency has changed ,but I am at the moment in Thailand,and have been for the last 3 months aint I lucky,but the difference between what you get in the uk and what the Thai bank will give you for your Pound ,cash or travellers cheque,is very much more than you will get from even the best bank in the UK. You shoulsd always investigate the rates in the country to which you are going as I am sure these two examples are not the only ones out there.
    Happy travelling, Jack.
    Originally posted by sinbinjack
    It's still the case that you get a better exchange rate in Turkey by taking sterling than you do by changing into Lira here - 5% or more.

HOWEVER if you use a Nationwide debit card you invariably end up 1-2% better than the best exchange rate available in Turkey - in banks, currency exchange places or on the street. Use their credit card for purchases for the same exchange rate & again no charges (hidden or otherwise) BUT NEVER use the credit card for cash out of an ATM.

Having used Nationwide abroad for about the last 12 years, I ALWAYS get the best exchange rate wherever in the world I happen to be. I certainly would never leave home without it.

Unless you go to somewhere that is in back of beyond there are invariably ATM's at or near the airport - so using the cards you never need to worry about exchanging money again & getting a poor rate.
  • miss.appropriate
    Currency
    I am so confused as to what currency i should take to turkey,can anyone help?
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 11th Jul 08, 8:34 AM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    I am so confused as to what currency i should take to turkey,can anyone help?
    Originally posted by miss.appropriate
    If you already have the currency, take it. Doesn't matter what it is.

If you are going to have to change currency, don't. Take sterling and change it there.

If you have a Nationwide debit card take that and use ATMs.
  • kylieb82
    Hi all,
    If you put money onto any of these reccomended Credit cards before you go away (so that it is in credit eg. +100), if you withdraw cash using the credit card do they still charge you interest??
  • curryisforlife
    Holiday money advice please?
    Hi, my wife and I are going to Prague on 21st July. We plan to change 600 into Czech Korunas and take that with us which should be enough. If it's not enough, which would be the cheapest card to use? I have a Halifax debit card (I've read what Martin says) A Halifax credit card (I've forgot the pin no. 'cos I rarely use it anyway) A Capital one credit card and an American Express Platinum card (5% cash back). Which would be best, can anyone advise? Thanks.
    On the subject of taking that cash, we plan to leave most of it in our hotel room safe. It's a 5 star hotel (1st time for us! Wifes birthday). There shouldn't be any danger of it dissapearing should there? I mean does anyone have any experience of finding their hotel room safe gotten into? It doesn't happen does it? Or am I just being paranoid? Thanks.
  • curryisforlife
    Oops nearly forgot!
    To say I always pay off my credit cards each month in full.
  • nopainnogain
    Spare currency when you get home again
    Before I went on Holiday I bought my euros from M&S and got a good rate so I was happy.
    On my return I was less than happy at the rate offered to exchange my excess euros back to sterling. I felt I was being ripped off.

My solution - I advertised the excess euros to my work colleagues.

The result was it took less than 3 minutes before my works notice board ad was answered.

My colleague got a slightly better rate than M&S offered, I got a much better rate than M&S (or anyone else for that matter) would have given me and I didn't have to travel to M&S to be ripped off.
  • Copetribe
    Cash from ATM in Spain
    In Southern Spain am I better off getting local currency from an ATM using my Barclays DEBIT card or my Nationwide CREDIT card ?
  • Stokesy
    I'm heading over to Beijing for the Olympics then going straight over to Oz to spend a year backpacking.

I'm going to open up a Nationwide account before I go. Should I get some Chinese currency before I go or just withdraw money once I'm over there?

I'm going to have to work when I'm in Oz so I'll have to open up a bank account over there. I was planning to open an Australian bank account before I go. Can anyone recommend which account to go for as I'm getting pretty confused with all of the different options?

Thanks
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 15th Jul 08, 9:16 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    In Southern Spain am I better off getting local currency from an ATM using my Barclays DEBIT card or my Nationwide CREDIT card ?
    Originally posted by Copetribe
    Actually a very difficult question, as it depends how much you withdraw, whose ATM you withdraw it from and how quickly you pay back the credit card. I really don't fancy doing the maths.

Barclays have a 2.75% exchange loading, Nationwide don't.

If you use a non-Global Alliance ATM Barclays also charge a 2% cash advance fee min 1.50 max 4.50

Nationwide charge a 2.5% cash advance fee, min 3 no max

Nationwide charge interest - I've no idea of the rate, it probably depends on which version of their CC you have.
  • rfburke
    Does anyone know which bank is best when transferring money between bank accounts in two different countries and currencies. i.e sterling to euro. Or are they much of a muchness?
    • am3n3
    • By am3n3 16th Jul 08, 9:59 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    am3n3
    Dynamic Currency Exchange also in France
    Went shopping in Paris last week, and the department stores I went to were using DCE whenever I paid with my credit card (Nationwide). You'd get a choice of GBP or Euro on the card reader, but I always chose to pay in EUR.
  • Happy_Shrimper
    Decided not to apply for a new card for our hols in Spain after Tesco announced double club card points for foreign transactions this summer - think they did it last year, so on our card thats 2 points for £1 which I believe is like 8% if you take deals minus the 2.75% load, doesn't seem bad - unless someone can tell me otherwise?
    • flibblesan
    • By flibblesan 16th Jul 08, 11:49 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    flibblesan
    I'm heading over to Beijing for the Olympics then going straight over to Oz to spend a year backpacking.

I'm going to open up a Nationwide account before I go. Should I get some Chinese currency before I go or just withdraw money once I'm over there?
    Originally posted by Stokesy
    There is a limit to the amount of Chinese money you can take into China. My advice would be to use your card to withdraw money out. You can use any Bank of China, HSBC ATM, and some other Chinese banks such as China Construction Bank, Guangdong Development Bank. Just look for the Cirrus or Maestro signs.

All the ATM's that accept Cirrus/Maestro will display in English. You will have to enter the amount you want to withdraw in RMB. Maximum daily limit is 3,000 RMB (about 215 based on bank exchange rates).

3,000 RMB is a LOT of money in China though. I would advise you stick to taking out 500RMB as and when you need it. You will be very surprised how far it takes you.

Enjoy Beijing - it's a great place. I'm off there next week.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

1,217Users online

Martin's Twitter