Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 10th Jul 19, 2:14 AM
    • 280Posts
    • 1,028Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    VelvetFreak is saving up to buy a house!
    • 10th Jul 19, 2:14 AM
    VelvetFreak is saving up to buy a house! 10th Jul 19 at 2:14 AM
    Shiny new diary! Yay!

A bit about me: I am 25 years old, living in Australia. I own a tiny one-bedroom unit (well, the bank owns it, because I have a mortgage ). My boyfriend moved in with me a few months ago.

I recently reached a big goal, which was to have $10,000 saved in an Emergency Fund. So now I am onto the next thing, which is saving to buy a house. My goal is to have $80,000 saved before I turn 30 (which is in about 4.5 years, December 2023 )

At the moment, I am able to save $400 per fortnight out of my wages, and my boyfriend pays $200 for ďbillsĒ which I am able to save because I paid the same amount in bills since before he moved in, so I see it as ďextraĒ money that I wouldnít have otherwise. I hope that makes sense. Our finances are separate at the moment but I suppose we will combine things more over time. I also plan to save extra money that I get with raises, bonuses, etc.

I am also wanting to do some small renovations in my unit to make it nice for us to live here for the next few years. I will find the money for that somewhere.

I recently sold a mattress and furniture that I had stored in the garage, so we are starting the House Savings off with $100

Emergency Fund: DONE! $10,000
    House Savings $6,005.06 / $80,000
Page 3
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 19th Aug 19, 10:09 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,089 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    You're doing a pretty good job on your weekly goals. I hope whatever's getting to you emotionally gets better, and surely spring must be on the way soon: it always makes things feel more positive.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £2877.91/2,880.00 to 04/09/19. Decluttered in 2019: 1,899/2,019 as of 11/10/19
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 27th Aug 19, 10:23 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Finally getting a chance to update my diary. Itís been an interesting couple of weeks. Warning: longest post ever. I donít even know where to start, so here goes:

About two weeks ago, I told MrVF that I donít want to be with him anymore and that he needs to move out. I donít want to give too many details, but at the same time, this is my life and I want it to be an accurate representation of how things are. Iíve known for a while now that the relationship wasnít right. The reasons are endless.

The week between me telling him and him actually moving out was really awful I knew that he wouldnít react well and it went exactly as I predicted. I was extremely upset, a combination of grieving the loss of the relationship as well as really just wishing that he would hurry up and leave. (Just in case you think Iím nasty for kicking him out, he could easily move back to his old house, he was just dragging his feet).

He has been gone for a little over a week and Iíve never felt better. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I know now that this is what was making me feel so down. The first night that he was gone was very weird, but now that the shock has worn off, I feel so much better.

I feel so much more positive about myself and my future now. Being single isnít ideal, but Iíd rather be single than put up with that rubbish.

óóóóóó

Now to talk about money.

Two paydays have happened since I last posted, so thatís $800 into the House Savings. Plus $50 of petrol money that I didnít need = new total of $4,930.

Now to scrounge up $70 so that I can make it to $5,000

Once I get to $5,000, I will slow down a bit and try and just try to live my life and not be so focused on money. There are some things that I really want that I have put off buying for a long time, and I think itís time that I allowed myself to get those things.

I need to re-evaluate my savings goal, but at this stage I have no idea what I should be aiming for . Now that Iím single, I feel much less urgency to buy a house.

In other news, work is stupidly busy at the moment and is only going to get worse over the next few months. I donít know how Iím going to get through it. On the bright side, I am so thankful for this job. Itís seriously the best Iíve ever had.

Off to update my signature.

• Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 27th Aug 19, 11:56 AM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,089 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I'm sorry to hear you had all that stress over MrVF, but it sounds from your reaction as though you made the right decision.

May I encourage you to book a few days just for you? No work, no excuses. Just to break up the load at work. Even if it's just adding a Friday to a weekend. I've found a course on Futurelearn on resilience at work, which I'm finding very useful. I'm going to struggle to get it all done in the time as I go down rabbit holes learning about new ideas or reading other people's contributions, but it's still useful. It's helping me step back and see my relationship with work in new ways, and hopefully be better at creatively dealing with the pressure points. I don't know if it's your thing (or you might already have done it) but I thought I'd mention it in case it helps.

Looking forward to seeing how you make the house savings up to $5,000! I think you might find it hard to let go of the saving mentality, though.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £2877.91/2,880.00 to 04/09/19. Decluttered in 2019: 1,899/2,019 as of 11/10/19
    • FloraandFauna
    • By FloraandFauna 29th Aug 19, 6:11 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    FloraandFauna
    Big hug, Velvet. It's hard to let go of having 'responsibility' for a relationship, whether it's still worth it or not, so well done for having the strength of mind to make that decision. You say it's not 'ideal' being single, but as you've found this week, it's a bajillion miles better, more cheerful, easier, freeing, and contains more potential, than holding onto something that doesn't work. Enjoy it!
    Mortgage Sept 2018: £151,000 ending Oct 2038, Mortgage August 2019: £143,597 ending July 2038
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 4th Sep 19, 12:34 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Thank you Cherry and Flora for your kind words.

I’ve been going really well since I last updated. A few tiny moments of feeling a bit lonely but have otherwise felt great. I have been keeping busy which is good, but I think I need to slow down a bit.

Will have to be very careful with money until payday (6 days away) as I went to an antiques fair with my friend on the weekend and spent all my spending money. Oops

I’ve booked a week of annual leave starting the 23rd, so I’m excited about that. I’m going to stay home for the most part and get some rest and complete a few little house projects that I’ve been putting off/been too busy to attempt.

Goals for today: (back later to update)
    -go grocery shopping after work (done)
    -do at least 30 minutes on the treadmill (nope)
    -unpack dishwasher and tidy kitchen (done)
    Last edited by VelvetFreak; 05-09-2019 at 10:18 AM.

• savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 4th Sep 19, 4:33 PM
    • 9,811 Posts
    • 19,528 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Hope you are enjoying your new found freedom. Planned break from work sounds good too. Dust yourself off from the spends at the weekend and get back on track.
    Target DFD Mar 21 Nov 20 £38840 @ 13/7/19 £26,881 @0%
    Target MFD July 2031 March 28 owe £145551 @13/7/19 £145,282 @1.7%
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 5th Sep 19, 11:07 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    So today has left me feeling quite rubbish.

I had my annual review with my boss, and I got great feedback from him and was given my full yearly bonus and a 5% payrise. So that part went okay. But then I tried to talk to him about Painful Coworker and her antics, and got absolutely nowhere. I believe that he just doesnít want to hear it and would rather have me complain occasionally than actually have to talk to her about anything.

Iím getting so fed up. Today the printer completely stopped working because it ran out of ink (I had told her to call and order a new cartidige on Monday when she mentioned it was saying it needed a new one and there were none out the back). Well she didnít do that and today when it stopped working, she blamed it on me and asked me sarcastically ďhasnít it ever done that before?Ē and ďdid the printer used to be someone elseís job?Ē

Stuff like this is literally her job! She is the junior most person in our team, her job is to do basic admin, order the stationery, etc. She is already getting away with never answering the phone, among other things.

I just donít know what to do anymore, itís becoming a battle of wills between us because my boss refuses to intervene. Iím not witty or quick enough when she says these stupid things to me. My patience is wearing really thin and Iím getting very close to snapping at her.

She is getting away with doing the bare minimum I am stuck with everything else. There are big changes happening with the business at the moment and these are all my responsibility to figure out and implement. Itís quite stressful as I am going in blind, my boss isnít interested in these things so it all falls on me. Yet she refuses to order a bloody printer cartridge

Everyone Iíve talked to says I should pull her aside and say something to her, but she does not take me seriously at all and I think sheíll just laugh in my face (which she already does, all the time).

Does anyone have any ideas? We are a small business of only four people, there is no HR department etc.

• Tropically
    • By Tropically 5th Sep 19, 1:19 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    Tropically
    Why is it your responsibility to pick up the tasks she is dropping? What would happen if you simply didn't order the printer cartridge, and if another colleague asked, if you said that it's her job?
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041
    2017 OPs: £7000/£7000
    Mortgage in Nov 2017 - £297,808
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 5th Sep 19, 1:51 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Tropically, thatís exactly what happened. And we ran out of ink, and she had a go at me

• sashybo
    • By sashybo 5th Sep 19, 8:48 PM
    • 3,104 Posts
    • 22,224 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi Velvet, re your annoying colleague, can you email her every time you ask her to do something that she ignores, copying in your boss? That way there's a record that she's been asked to do her actual job and is just refusing to do it? The boss will have to get involved eventually if you refuse to carry her by only doing your own job.

I would also acquire some headphones so you "can't hear the phone" (even if you're not actually listening to music) as it's also her job to answer it and not yours.

That said I understand how difficult the above would be in a small office as if you refuse to do it and she refuses to do her actual job then it won't get done. However the consequences of that are actually on your boss for refusing to grow a pair and tell her to do her job or get out.

Maybe you need to complain to your boss every time she doesn't do something so that he gets sick of it and deals with her? I understand that might feel a bit childish but your boss is hardly acting like a grown up about it.

As long as you continue to pick up the slack then no one else has any incentive to change the situation i.e. your boss or the lazy colleague.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £13,007 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £61,852
    Car loans £15,266.95, Garage conversion £7000, EF started 01/09/19 - £76

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 5th Sep 19, 10:20 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,089 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I like Sashybo's idea of emailing her and copying your boss in... Maybe also start looking around for another job? Though that would be a shame when you've done so well on your review. Great to have it recognised in a bonus and a pay rise!

Where does the fourth member of the business come in? Do they have much to do with PC-W?

Anyway... jolly well done for the results of your review! x
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 17th Sep 19, 9:45 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Been a bit slack with my diary lately

Had more meetings and whatnot with my boss about Annoying Coworker. Didn’t make a whole lot of progress but I said my piece and now I’m over it. Work has been stupidly busy. I had two days off sick last week because I came down with an awful cold/flu and could barely move except to sneeze and cough. I’m still not 100% but have to push through it as we are in a critical time at work and my boss will kill me if I take any more days off this week.

Bonus money and usual pay has hit my account. House Savings now up to $5,000. Have spent a bit of the bonus money between going to the doctor, paying for medication, purchasing a new light for my aquarium and some garden/hardware supplies. There’s still a good amount left and it’s currentky just sitting in my bank account because I’m too exhausted to even think about what to do with it.

I need to work on reducing my stress levels as I’m starting to feel really awful and it’s all getting the better of me. Thank goodness I have booked next week off. Only 3 days to go, but who’s counting.

In more upbeat news, my goldfish have had eggs and I’ve managed to get them to hatch, so now I have approximately 100 tiny baby goldfish

• Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th Sep 19, 10:40 AM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,089 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Aw! Baby goldfish! I used to wonder how come our fish never laid eggs till they all developed gill spots so I reckon we had an entire tank of male fish. What fun to have the babies to watch. Do you have to put them in some sort of safe space so they don't get eaten?
    Work sounds full-on. Keep taking the vitamins and getting sleep, or whatever works for you. I'm glad you got a couple of days off, it's amazing how much these cold/flu type things can take it out of you. I'd still recommend the resilience course for coping with work situations, but I'm not sure you'd have time to do it.
    Have a good night (I'm guessing it's late for you). We have a lovely autumn day here and I'm remembering I was flying to Melbourne this time last year. You have a wonderful country.
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 18th Sep 19, 2:47 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Hi Cherry! I have put the baby goldfish in their own tank. It is all very exciting

• VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 19th Sep 19, 4:49 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Not much happening with money at the moment, but a few random things to report:

Things at work have finally calmed down, now I feel like I can breathe again.

Iím getting a couch delivered this afternoon after work. Have been wanting to get a different one for a while (as current couch is way too big for my space). My mum wanted to get rid of a couch that was in her spare room, so Iím taking that one and then passing mine along to a friend who has just moved. Am very pleased as my living room will finally look ďnormalĒ and not overcrowded.

Have already written myself a huge to-do list for my week off and then gave myself a big lecture about needing to slow down and not put so much pressure on myself.

Really want a new laptop, so I think I am going to buy one tomorrow after work.

• VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 20th Sep 19, 12:06 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    A new Macbook has been purchased on the way home from work That's my bonus money gone. Bank account has taken a hit. Feeling quite pleased though as I can now type on here properly without having to do it on my phone.

I don't have to go back to work for 9 days! Yay!
    I never did update about my study situation, I have been so busy with work etc that I forgot all about it. I was not able to convince my boss to pay for it, but have been able to get the cost taken out of my bonus pre-tax, so that saved me a bit of money. My boss has agreed to give me 1 day of study leave per unit (3 units total) so I will use those days to do the recordings of my presentations Not looking forward to doing that, but I need to have this qualification so I'll just have to deal with it.

• Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 20th Sep 19, 9:18 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,089 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Happy New Macbook.
    Shame the boss won't pay for your study but a few study days will help. Meanwhile enjoy your time off!
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 21st Sep 19, 7:07 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Thankyou Cherry , I've spent all of today doing pretty much nothing. Trying to kick this rotten cold that i seem to be holding onto

Am very much enjoying being able to look at my budget spreadsheet at home I used to only be able to update it at work.

• VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 22nd Sep 19, 1:43 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    More ramblings as I can now type as much as I want

I need to reign the spending in, I've had my fun with the bonus money, but need to go back to being a bit more careful.

Been having a look at my budget spreadsheet. My payrise nets me approx $50 per fortnight extra, so I've allocated this to go the the House Savings.

Have just got back from grocery shopping and have spent my usual amount. I'm now going to be very careful with the grocery budget for the next couple of weeks. I'm going on 4ish days now of having no sweets and my body already feels so much better, so I'm just not going to buy junk food anymore (ha!). I have $90 in grocery store points that I am going to try and use for the next two weeks and I will save the usual amount that I would spend ($150). I think I should be able to stick to this.

Trying to be a bit more productive today.

Goals for today: (back later to edit)

-Go grocery shopping (done)
    -Take item back for refund (done)
    -Wash bedsheets and put them back on (done)
    -Unpack & re-pack dishwasher + clean kitchen (done)
    -Plant some seeds in veggie garden (done)
    -Vaccum house (didn't do it, but did it the next morning)
    -Clean baby goldfish tank and put them in a bigger container (done)
    Last edited by VelvetFreak; 23-09-2019 at 2:03 AM.

• VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 23rd Sep 19, 11:45 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Payday today!

$450 transferred into House Savings + $8.23 of the bonus money/last pay that I managed not to spend. New total is $5,458.23

Need to get myself motivated to do something productive today. I think I will work on getting the garage sorted so that I can fit my car back in there. My friend is coming to pick up the old couch tonight, so that will help.

Goals for today:
    - Wash a load of clothes + hang to dry (done!)
    - Water garden (didn't do it's supposed to rain soon, apparently, but i'll believe it when I see it)
    -Organise garage, throw some junk out (can almost fit my car in!)
    -Make a start on organising my closer, move clothes from dresser into closet (moved some stuff around, but not finished)
    Last edited by VelvetFreak; 24-09-2019 at 10:41 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

1,771Users online

Martin's Twitter