Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • notroubleclubber
    • By notroubleclubber 17th Sep 19, 5:29 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    notroubleclubber
    Problems & Delays Buying A House
    • 17th Sep 19, 5:29 PM
    Problems & Delays Buying A House 17th Sep 19 at 5:29 PM
    Im a first time buyer and have no experience in this field so hoping someone can give me some help.

I found a shared ownership house for sale through the help to buy site which i viewed via an estate agent and made an offer that was accepted.
    The estate agents mortgage broker found me a good mortgage and this has been applied for and approved - all good and all this went well and quickly.

The estate agent then recommended a conveyancer which I got the paperwork through and signed and sent back. They then took part payment for searches (which took a while to get a phone call from then - i should have known).

There was then delays as the sellers solicitors didnt send the contract pack and apparently the estate agent then got them to change to a conveyancer they use. These solicitors sound like they were on the ball and said they sent out the draft contracts last week.

I havent heard anything from my solicitors so contacted them all last week and didnt hear anything until this monday when my assigned conveyancer said my paperwork had been sent to another branch as it was her last day!!!!
    Since Tuesday the estate agent and myself have been trying to trace where my contract is and who is dealing with it but have had no replies from emails and no replies when told someone will ring me back.

Now ,having spoke to the estate agent - they are now saying the seller is chasing and has been in chasing the estate agent why we havent continued!!!!

So, it looks it maybe possible for the seller to go elsewhere as the solicitor the estate agent recommended me (and that i have paid 400 too so far) is rubbish and not responding.
    I could go elsewhere but then what happens about the 400 ive already paid which they have done nothing with?

What shall i do?
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 17th Sep 19, 8:43 PM
    • 13,198 Posts
    • 15,045 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 17th Sep 19, 8:43 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 8:43 PM
    didnt hear anything until this monday
    Originally posted by notroubleclubber
    Yesterday?

Since Tuesday the estate agent and myself have been trying to trace where my contract is and who is dealing with it
    Today?

If so, I think you're being unrealistic about the timescales (though sounds like the other party is too).
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 18th Sep 19, 12:35 AM
    • 6,512 Posts
    • 4,405 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 18th Sep 19, 12:35 AM
    • 18th Sep 19, 12:35 AM
    3 months on average to buy a house. The fact your using the Estate agent services, I wish you luck. Most of them are rubbish and on the cheap in terms of quality.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • notroubleclubber
    • By notroubleclubber 18th Sep 19, 5:41 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    notroubleclubber
    • 18th Sep 19, 5:41 AM
    • 18th Sep 19, 5:41 AM
    Sorry . Maybe i havent explained the timeline well.

End of july applied for house and mortgage and agreed.
    Waiting for contract since beginning of august.
    Seller had put wrong address for their solicitors so was corrected.
    Then seller gave up with their solicitor and estate agent persuaded them to go with someone else two weeks ago.
    My solicitor received contract last week apparently but didnt do anything with it and then told me she was leaving this monday and i was told monday the contract and my files were sent last week to another branch.
    They havent told me who my solicitor is and nothing has been updated.
    So yes, delay seems to have been sellers previous solicitors was useless for the last 2 months and now my solicitor has gone awol.
    • notroubleclubber
    • By notroubleclubber 18th Sep 19, 5:50 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    notroubleclubber
    • 18th Sep 19, 5:50 AM
    • 18th Sep 19, 5:50 AM
    Thinking about it - maybe i am being harsh on the timeline for my solicitor.
    They only received the contract last week.

Its just lack of communication i think that annoys me.
    • readysteadysell
    • By readysteadysell 18th Sep 19, 8:00 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    readysteadysell
    • 18th Sep 19, 8:00 AM
    • 18th Sep 19, 8:00 AM
    we've just hit 4 months now and no sign of exchange happening. we have run into a few issues along the way which has held us back.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 18th Sep 19, 8:44 AM
    • 6,704 Posts
    • 10,530 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 18th Sep 19, 8:44 AM
    • 18th Sep 19, 8:44 AM
    We bought a vacant property with cash and it took 5 months. So no chain and no mortgage and it took 5 months. Sometime unexpected things come up in the searches that take time to sort out. Buying a house can take a long time you just have to learn to wait.

It has only been less than 2 months so far. You could easily have another 6 months wait. Buying a property isn't instant.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 18th Sep 19, 12:05 PM
    • 67,272 Posts
    • 394,267 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 18th Sep 19, 12:05 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 12:05 PM
    I just exchanged after 4 months.
    It was exceptional as FTBs struggled to get a mortgage.

If the FTBs had got the first mortgage they went for it'd have been 3 months.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,433Users online

Martin's Twitter