Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hubb
    • By hubb 14th Sep 19, 2:27 PM
    • 2,009Posts
    • 385Thanks
    hubb
    Paypal incompetence and £10 reward promise not met
    • 14th Sep 19, 2:27 PM
    Paypal incompetence and £10 reward promise not met 14th Sep 19 at 2:27 PM
    Well I referred a friend to join Paypal during their offer of rewarding £10 if they signed up. The person signed up, and promptly sent £15 to a friends Halifax bank account to also qualify for a £10 reward (anything over £5 would qualify). Funds were in her account to cover this. The payment to the bank account has been pending for 8 days so far. Neither of us have received a £10 reward (transaction was made within the offer timescale) and Paypal email customer service have not responded to 3 emals (with the promise of responding within 24 hours) So basically we have been duped and getting no help from customer services. Has anyone else found of late that Paypals customer service has suddenly become abysmal as well as their horrible new website design ? Even chat is frustratingly computerised.
    Last edited by hubb; 14-09-2019 at 2:50 PM.
Page 1
    • hubb
    • By hubb 16th Sep 19, 9:11 AM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    hubb
    • 16th Sep 19, 9:11 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 9:11 AM
    Wow 163 views and still no responses.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th Sep 19, 2:05 PM
    • 6,549 Posts
    • 4,345 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 16th Sep 19, 2:05 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 2:05 PM
    Originally posted by hubb
    What does this have to do with bank accounts?
    • hubb
    • By hubb 16th Sep 19, 5:14 PM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    hubb
    • 16th Sep 19, 5:14 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 5:14 PM
    What does this have to do with bank accounts?
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Paypal is an online bank. I think you need to re-think your post.
    • Deru
    • By Deru 16th Sep 19, 6:23 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    Deru
    • 16th Sep 19, 6:23 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 6:23 PM
    Years ago I tried to chase up an incentive of theirs that never got paid. Phoned them many times and they just fobbed me off. In the end, I had nowhere to turn to and gave up... It might have been about £50 as it was a percentage of the transactions of the person I referred and they sold thousands of pounds worth of stuff.

On another occasion, they wrongfully clawed by some funds from me. I made a formal complain through their complaints system and got a swift resolution. Maybe this is the best route to get this resolved?

I find anything that's not a common issue, thy're not able to deal with effectively.

You say the funds were in pending state. Why is it pending? Maybe it needs to clear first?

Personally, I'd rather not look at PayPal as an online bank, more of a payment processor. Would not trust them as a bank.
    • londoninvestor
    • By londoninvestor 16th Sep 19, 6:28 PM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    londoninvestor
    • 16th Sep 19, 6:28 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 6:28 PM
    Personally, I'd rather not look at PayPal as an online bank, more of a payment processor. Would not trust them as a bank.
    Originally posted by Deru
    PayPal does have a Luxembourg banking licence, so strictly speaking it's a bank - but the range of services is much less than we'd usually think of as a bank's offering.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 16th Sep 19, 7:09 PM
    • 3,963 Posts
    • 2,903 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 16th Sep 19, 7:09 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 7:09 PM
    Sorry for the late response, no I haven't.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 16th Sep 19, 7:23 PM
    • 12,339 Posts
    • 9,942 Thanks
    masonic
    • 16th Sep 19, 7:23 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 7:23 PM
    You should probably take that as 163 people (now 308) who haven't "found of late that Paypals customer service has suddenly become abysmal as well as their horrible new website design"
    • hubb
    • By hubb 17th Sep 19, 6:57 AM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    hubb
    • 17th Sep 19, 6:57 AM
    • 17th Sep 19, 6:57 AM
    Utterly diabolical. Dealing with Paypal is like herding cats. My issue was escalated a few days ago and still not heard back.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 17th Sep 19, 8:24 AM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    MarkN88
    Try doing it through social media, it seems to work better, they don’t like the attention.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 17th Sep 19, 10:43 PM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    hubb
    Try doing it through social media, it seems to work better, they donít like the attention.
    Originally posted by MarkN88
    Tried Twitter and Facebook. Both with a promise of getting back very soon and now days later its tumbleweed. I cant for the life of me imagine why a payment to a UK bank via Paypal would take 12 days (and still pending although the money has now left the bank account but no confirmation from Paypal)
    • masonic
    • By masonic 18th Sep 19, 6:02 AM
    • 12,339 Posts
    • 9,942 Thanks
    masonic
    I cant for the life of me imagine why a payment to a UK bank via Paypal would take 12 days
    So you are trying to withdraw money from your Paypal account to your bank account? Edit: or someone else's bank account?

(and still pending although the money has now left the bank account but no confirmation from Paypal)
    Not sure what you mean by this, which bank account?

Your Paypal account is not a bank account, it is an electronic money account and a withdrawal from your Paypal account is a 'redemption of E-money' (i.e. Paypal exchanges it for real money and sends it to your bank).

When you send money to Paypal, it converts it to E-money and credits it to your Paypal account.

See the Paypal user agreement

It is likely your payment has been caught up in a transaction review:
    "Transaction Review. We may review your withdrawal transaction to mitigate any risks and/or to prevent money laundering and to ascertain whether any Restricted Activity (as set out in section 9) is taking place (“Redemption Risk”). Where a Redemption Risk is identified by us, we reserve the right to restrict your Payment Instrument and/or refuse your Payment Order. When you instruct us to perform a redemption, we may treat this as a future dated Payment Order which we will execute within the timeframes set out in section 4.1 once we determine the Redemption Risk has passed. If we release the restriction and/or proceed to process your withdrawal, you agree that the date of your Payment Order will start on the Business Day the restriction was lifted."

Edit: This might be the origin of the problem:
    Well I referred a friend to join Paypal during their offer of rewarding £10 if they signed up. The person signed up, and promptly sent £15 to a friends Halifax bank account to also qualify for a £10 reward (anything over £5 would qualify).
    If you, or your friend have linked a bank account owned by someone else to your/their Paypal account then that would likely raise anti-money laundering flags. Financial institutions are not allowed by law to communicate with you regarding suspicious account activity, so that would explain the lack of communication you have received.
    Last edited by masonic; 18-09-2019 at 6:12 AM.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 18th Sep 19, 11:09 AM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    hubb
    Rubbish. If you read the OP The criteria was refer a friend, friend signs up - you get £10 reward (I didn't) Friend sends money to a friend or payment to company and also receives £10 (she didn't) Money sent from referred friends Paypal account sent to her friends bank account (gift) 12 days on any money is still in the either. Paypal promise to get back ASAP and no response (they used to be pretty good with customer service) Many many attempts at contacting them and they just don't respond.

I have sent and received money in my Paypal account many times that has been pretty instantaneous. I feel they are dragging their feet and do not want to pay up the £10 to us. They are diabolical.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 18th Sep 19, 5:56 PM
    • 12,339 Posts
    • 9,942 Thanks
    masonic
    Rubbish. If you read the OP <snip>
    I read the OP. I also read all of your subsequent posts. And I've read the Paypal user agreement. My point stands, if as you say, your friend tried to withdraw money from her Paypal account to another friend's bank account (gift or not), that's the origin of your problem. If that's not what happened, then maybe it's time to brush up on the old communication skills.

Have fun sorting out your problem. I'm out.
    Last edited by masonic; 18-09-2019 at 6:02 PM.
    • snowqueen555
    • By snowqueen555 18th Sep 19, 11:17 PM
    • 963 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    snowqueen555
    I'd also say give it some time, some rewards don't pay out for a while. Doesn't sound like it's worth getting so worked up over a small amount, you've probably expended far more time and energy on this than it is worth.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 19th Sep 19, 11:33 AM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    hubb
    Have fun sorting out your problem. I'm out.
    Originally posted by masonic
    I'm mortified

As for communication, you seem to be the only one having problems understanding my OP.
    Last edited by hubb; 19-09-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    • hubb
    • By hubb 19th Sep 19, 11:34 AM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    hubb
    I'd also say give it some time, some rewards don't pay out for a while. Doesn't sound like it's worth getting so worked up over a small amount, you've probably expended far more time and energy on this than it is worth.
    Originally posted by snowqueen555
    Its the fact that they do not follow up emails/messages/chat as they promise. What kind of cowboy company have they become ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,344Posts Today

7,920Users online

Martin's Twitter