Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seanphoto
    • By Seanphoto 16th Sep 19, 1:55 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Seanphoto
    Repair or replace item
    • 16th Sep 19, 1:55 PM
    Repair or replace item 16th Sep 19 at 1:55 PM
    In May this year I purchased a Nikon camera from John Lewis. I used the camera whilst on holiday and noticed it was not performing correctly and had, what seemed to be, an intermittent fault. I could not recify the apparent fault whilst away. On my return I contacted Nikon support to see if it was simply a menu item that I needed to adjust in order to fix the problem. At that stage they couldnít identify the fault and we couldnít reproduce the problem whilst speaking to them. Their advice was to see if it happened again and then obviously contact the store. It happened again. a few weeks later. As can be appreciated, you do not use a camera on a daily basis, and especially all the functions, so for this apparent fault to reoccure didnít become apparent immediately. Having contacted JL they informed me that my only solution was to have the item repaired. My argument was that as the item was only three months old and that I had potentially identified a fault within 14 days of purchase then they should honour the replacement as I believed it was faulty at the time of purchase and hadnít developed it at a later stage. They refused stating that it was over 30 days. On this MSE site and the Consumer Rights Act 2015 it does state you have a right to Ďrepair OR replacementí after the 30 days. I believe it should be replaced not repaired. I agree that I did not notify JL within the 30 days (after which they say they then offer repair) but with such an item itís not always possible to use all the functions every time the camera is used so to identify that particular fault is difficult. There was obviously some sort of fault for me to contact Nikon and they, not being able to readily identify it, so informing me to continue to see if it occurred again. JL state that I should have notified them anyway even though I could not actually identify the exact problem at that stage. It simply could have been a menu item and they would have advised me to speak to Nikon direct anyhow.
    Can I insist they replace rather than repair the Camera? If I can, what is the authority for that?
    Many thanks
Page 1
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 16th Sep 19, 2:06 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 16th Sep 19, 2:06 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 2:06 PM
    In May this year I purchased a Nikon camera from John Lewis. I used the camera whilst on holiday and noticed it was not performing correctly and had, what seemed to be, an intermittent fault. I could not recify the apparent fault whilst away. On my return I contacted Nikon support to see if it was simply a menu item that I needed to adjust in order to fix the problem. At that stage they couldnít identify the fault and we couldnít reproduce the problem whilst speaking to them. Their advice was to see if it happened again and then obviously contact the store. It happened again. a few weeks later. As can be appreciated, you do not use a camera on a daily basis, and especially all the functions, so for this apparent fault to reoccure didnít become apparent immediately. Having contacted JL they informed me that my only solution was to have the item repaired. My argument was that as the item was only three months old and that I had potentially identified a fault within 14 days of purchase then they should honour the replacement as I believed it was faulty at the time of purchase and hadnít developed it at a later stage. They refused stating that it was over 30 days. On this MSE site and the Consumer Rights Act 2015 it does state you have a right to Ďrepair OR replacementí after the 30 days. I believe it should be replaced not repaired. I agree that I did not notify JL within the 30 days (after which they say they then offer repair) but with such an item itís not always possible to use all the functions every time the camera is used so to identify that particular fault is difficult. There was obviously some sort of fault for me to contact Nikon and they, not being able to readily identify it, so informing me to continue to see if it occurred again. JL state that I should have notified them anyway even though I could not actually identify the exact problem at that stage. It simply could have been a menu item and they would have advised me to speak to Nikon direct anyhow.
    Can I insist they replace rather than repair the Camera? If I can, what is the authority for that?
    Many thanks
    Originally posted by Seanphoto
    No.

The choice of remedy is theirs. You can let them know your preference but there's no insisting on it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

698Posts Today

7,237Users online

Martin's Twitter