Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Judojamesg
    • By Judojamesg 8th Sep 19, 12:15 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Judojamesg
    Amazon Return but won’t cover...
    • 8th Sep 19, 12:15 PM
    Amazon Return but won’t cover... 8th Sep 19 at 12:15 PM
    So. I get a new TV delivered yesterday. When I open the box, the screen is cracked.

Amazon agree to replace (due tomorrow).

But I have to arrange shipping back to them myself (I’m ok to do this). They will refund me shipping fee, but don’t refund cost of insuring the item for loss in transit.

They have basically said, “it won’t get lost”. If it did, where would I stand on this? And should they be making me spend Ł40 for piece of mind when I’ve received a damaged item?

Any tips would be great.
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Sep 19, 12:17 PM
    • 13,714 Posts
    • 9,444 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 8th Sep 19, 12:17 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 12:17 PM
    If the item was delivered broken then you should be telling Amazon to arrange the return themselves.
    • Judojamesg
    • By Judojamesg 8th Sep 19, 12:24 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Judojamesg
    • 8th Sep 19, 12:24 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 12:24 PM
    I agree. But they said I have to ship myself
    • visidigi
    • By visidigi 8th Sep 19, 12:34 PM
    • 5,719 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    visidigi
    • 8th Sep 19, 12:34 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 12:34 PM
    I agree. But they said I have to ship myself
    Originally posted by Judojamesg
    Then tell them you won't unless they provide a label and take full responsibility.
    • Judojamesg
    • By Judojamesg 8th Sep 19, 12:48 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Judojamesg
    • 8th Sep 19, 12:48 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 12:48 PM
    Given they have my money, what’s the best course of action on this if they refuse. Credit card comply?
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 8th Sep 19, 12:57 PM
    • 4,575 Posts
    • 11,910 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 8th Sep 19, 12:57 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 12:57 PM
    Was it sold by Amazon or a Marketplace (third party) seller?
    • Judojamesg
    • By Judojamesg 8th Sep 19, 1:00 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Judojamesg
    • 8th Sep 19, 1:00 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 1:00 PM
    Amazon. Not a seller
    • Judojamesg
    • By Judojamesg 8th Sep 19, 1:38 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Judojamesg
    • 8th Sep 19, 1:38 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 1:38 PM
    Can’t find a courier who will cover it anyway. I have asked amAzon to send me a prepaid label. See how I get on there. ��
    • Judojamesg
    • By Judojamesg 8th Sep 19, 2:56 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Judojamesg
    • 8th Sep 19, 2:56 PM
    • 8th Sep 19, 2:56 PM
    They are still refusing to do a prepaid label. They say they will refund postage costs. I have requested specific confirmation that I am not liable for any further damage or loss as a result of shipping. As the risk should not be with me. Every courier seems to exclude TVs from further coverage anyway.

I can’t see anywhere in consumer rights that refers to insurance or liability when it comes to returns.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 8th Sep 19, 3:28 PM
    • 13,526 Posts
    • 10,111 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Amazon. Not a seller
    Originally posted by Judojamesg
    Are you sure?

This is very unusual, even unheard of, for Amazon to insist you arrange you own return for a faulty item. I'd be speaking to them again.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 8th Sep 19, 3:42 PM
    • 5,308 Posts
    • 5,172 Thanks
    BoGoF
    What happens when you go through the returns process on line/via app? As above never heard of not being given a returns label.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Sep 19, 3:55 PM
    • 13,714 Posts
    • 9,444 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    RIng Amazon and tell them you are unable to return this item as the item is large and you cannot feasibly take it to a collection point. Tell them they must arrange and collect, as per the delivery to you.

Tell them you are rejecting the item and will make it available for collection.

How did you pay and how much was it?
    • Judojamesg
    • By Judojamesg 12th Sep 19, 10:57 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Judojamesg
    Thanks for the comments. Apparently amazon could not collect. In the end I shipped, they will refund. And I also got them to confirm in writing to me that i would not be liable should the item get lost or damaged further.

At first they said it would all be at my risk �� yeah right!!
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 12th Sep 19, 1:43 PM
    • 3,436 Posts
    • 1,930 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    "As above never heard of not being given a returns label"

In some instances, even with a faulty item, they will only provide an addressed return label, not prepaid and require the buyer to arrange and pay for the return.
    I bought a lithium cordless tool battery from a Maketplace seller which will not charge.
    Yes, I may return it but only if I arrange the return. Amazon will re-imburse up to Ł4.75 for this item. They know that a lithium battery, not within it's intended device, is a prohibited item with most carriers including Hermes and RM who they mostly use.
    Yes, I can send it and falsely declare what is in the parcel but that runs the risk of being "found out".
    This has happened to me more than once and is a bit unfair in spite of their usually excellent returns policy.
    R.I.P. U.K. Democracy.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Sep 19, 3:13 PM
    • 13,526 Posts
    • 10,111 Thanks
    neilmcl
    "As above never heard of not being given a returns label"

In some instances, even with a faulty item, they will only provide an addressed return label, not prepaid and require the buyer to arrange and pay for the return.
    I bought a lithium cordless tool battery from a Maketplace seller which will not charge.
    Yes, I may return it but only if I arrange the return. Amazon will re-imburse up to Ł4.75 for this item. They know that a lithium battery, not within it's intended device, is a prohibited item with most carriers including Hermes and RM who they mostly use.
    Yes, I can send it and falsely declare what is in the parcel but that runs the risk of being "found out".
    This has happened to me more than once and is a bit unfair in spite of their usually excellent returns policy.
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller
    That's the key reason right there. I've never seen Amazon make you arrange your own return when following their returns procedure for items purchased direct from Amazon.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Sep 19, 4:36 PM
    • 24,766 Posts
    • 14,291 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Yes, I may return it but only if I arrange the return. Amazon will re-imburse up to Ł4.75 for this item.
    It is your Marketplace seller, not Amazon who will not arrange the return in this instance.

People seriously need to differentiate between items purchased directly from Amazon and third party sellers who simply use the Amazon sales portal.

I suspect the OP of this thread has also not purchased directly from Amazon..
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 13th Sep 19, 10:44 AM
    • 3,436 Posts
    • 1,930 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    How strange then that any faulty item bought from an Amazon Marketplace seller, other than a lithium battery, has been returned using an Amazon generated prepaid label and sent to their returns centre in Scotland. The option of RM, Hermes Drop Off, Hermes collection has always been offered. Therefore I have to disagree with the usual argumentative smart Alecs!

The reason is, it's a faulty lithium battery.
    R.I.P. U.K. Democracy.
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 13th Sep 19, 10:58 AM
    • 292 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    mobileron
    Now ask for cash rebate int your ccard,then go to JLewis or Richersound for free 5 year warranty.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Sep 19, 1:31 PM
    • 24,766 Posts
    • 14,291 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    How strange then that any faulty item bought from an Amazon Marketplace seller, other than a lithium battery, has been returned using an Amazon generated prepaid label and sent to their returns centre in Scotland. The option of RM, Hermes Drop Off, Hermes collection has always been offered.
    These items will doubtless have been "fulfilled by Amazon". This is one step up (in terms of buyer protection) than simply purchasing direct from a third party, but it's still not an Amazon purchase. Faulty goods purchased direct from Amazon will always be collected or returned free-of-charge with a Paid Return Label.

The OP's TV won't have come direct from Amazon if the OP had to arrange to ship it back himself..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,031Posts Today

7,006Users online

Martin's Twitter