Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • clairelouu
    • By clairelouu 14th Sep 19, 7:07 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    clairelouu
    Faulty Land Rover windows help please..
    • 14th Sep 19, 7:07 AM
    Faulty Land Rover windows help please.. 14th Sep 19 at 7:07 AM
    I am posting for my dad, he recently bought replacement windows from an automotive supplier.
    Bought by phone for around £500 paid by visa debit Halifax. One was clearly faulty abs returned and replaced.
    He paid someone to fit them and found multiple faults, not correct size by 1-2mm, incorrectly printed with logos mid window, none of the rivets lined up and all the seals are faulty. We have complained to the company and they offered 10% off future purchases, not happy with this they’ve now offered return and postage costs. This would mean him paying for removal and no windows!
    I have written to them requesting a refund under consumer law and they’ve said as above.
    The bank is saying s75 doesn’t apply as we could return, but practicality wise we can’t and we would then be £200 plus down due to fitting and removal cost. Help?.... I will add that the fitter had to alter the window recess to make the windows fit.

Thank you
Page 1
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 14th Sep 19, 9:05 AM
    • 738 Posts
    • 1,368 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 14th Sep 19, 9:05 AM
    • 14th Sep 19, 9:05 AM
    Look. You’re not going to get a refund and keep the windows. No “consumer law” says that’s possible. If you’re going to quote it to a company you should really know what you’re talking about to avoid looking daft.

Take them off, return, get your refund and buy elsewhere. It’s not rocket science.
    Last edited by bigisi; 14-09-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 14th Sep 19, 9:47 AM
    • 4,205 Posts
    • 3,869 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 14th Sep 19, 9:47 AM
    • 14th Sep 19, 9:47 AM
    What do you expect them to do, refund and let you keep them?
    To get a refund you need to return them, it’s that simple.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 14th Sep 19, 2:57 PM
    • 17,899 Posts
    • 21,814 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 14th Sep 19, 2:57 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 2:57 PM
    The advice you have been given is good but remember that if the goods are deemed to not conform to contract then Section 23 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 may help.

Amongst other things it says:
    (2) If the consumer requires the trader to repair or replace the goods, the trader must—
    (a) do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer, and
    (b) bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).
    It has to be said... if the goods did not conform to contract, why did your fitter install them?
    • born again
    • By born again 14th Sep 19, 3:37 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    born again
    • 14th Sep 19, 3:37 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 3:37 PM
    Bought by phone for around £500 paid by visa debit Halifax. One was clearly faulty abs returned and replaced.
    The bank is saying s75 doesn’t apply as we could return,

but practicality wise we can’t and we would then be £200 plus down due to fitting and removal cost. Help?.... I will add that the fitter had to alter the window recess to make the windows fit.

Thank you
    Originally posted by clairelouu
    Well S75 does not cover DEBIT cards. Only CREDIT

You might have a chargeback right for not as described, you would have to prove what was ordered and how it compared to what you got. But you would need to send the others back, or have proof that the seller would not take them back.
    In effect you can't have both goods and a refund. Unless retailer is happy with this.

The fact you employed a 3rd party to fit them and they have then altered the windows is going to be at your expense.
    In hindsight you should have waited till you had spoken to the supplier before giving the go ahead to alter anything.
    • chili1496
    • By chili1496 14th Sep 19, 11:26 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    chili1496
    • 14th Sep 19, 11:26 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 11:26 PM
    £500 for 2 windows, bloody hell are there no breakers yards close by?
    • clairelouu
    • By clairelouu 15th Sep 19, 5:56 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    clairelouu
    • 15th Sep 19, 5:56 PM
    • 15th Sep 19, 5:56 PM
    Thanks everyone.
    • Geodark
    • By Geodark 16th Sep 19, 11:13 AM
    • 951 Posts
    • 630 Thanks
    Geodark
    • 16th Sep 19, 11:13 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 11:13 AM
    I am posting for my dad, he recently bought replacement windows from an automotive supplier.
    He paid someone to fit them and found multiple faults, not correct size by 1-2mm, incorrectly printed with logos mid window, none of the rivets lined up and all the seals are faulty. We have complained to the company and they offered 10% off future purchases, not happy with this they’ve now offered return and postage costs. This would mean him paying for removal and no windows!
    I have written to them requesting a refund under consumer law and they’ve said as above.
    The bank is saying s75 doesn’t apply as we could return, but practicality wise we can’t and we would then be £200 plus down due to fitting and removal cost. Help?.... I will add that the fitter had to alter the window recess to make the windows fit.

Thank you
    If you knew the windows were wrong why not return then before fitting them? and did the window fitter get permission to alter the recess before fitting them?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 16th Sep 19, 11:49 AM
    • 35,062 Posts
    • 22,162 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 16th Sep 19, 11:49 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 11:49 AM
    Thanks everyone.

So whats your next step going to be ?
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 16th Sep 19, 1:15 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 1,368 Thanks
    bigisi
    So whats your next step going to be ?
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    I'm guessing the next step will be not returning to this thread because we've not told her what she wanted to hear.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,151Posts Today

7,697Users online

Martin's Twitter