Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • katietyreman
    • By katietyreman 13th Sep 19, 6:55 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    katietyreman
    Go Outdoors Tent
    • 13th Sep 19, 6:55 PM
    Go Outdoors Tent 13th Sep 19 at 6:55 PM
    In need of a bit of consumer rights help! Bought a tent online with an awning as an extra last July. Advisory note in the tent kit said check within 30 days, but tent too big for garden and personal circumstances meant we weren't able to do it. First chance to go away this Aug/early Sept. Discover three holes in awning door.

My immediate response is 'please can I sort out a replacement'. But I have been told that they won't do that due to it being outside the year warranty and I didn't check it within 30 days. They've offered to send us to fix tape, or I can take it into store and beg the manager who may or may not replace. My take is that it's been used once in 13months and failed, whether that be manufacturing defect or not, its not fit for purpose. Not asking for refund, happy with replacement but am being rebuffed by all I talk to at Go Outdoors, even when I try to explain statutory rights. Will have to make hour round trip to store tomorrow which is very annoying but how can it be possible that they won't replace it? It wasn't a cheap product, our last tent was perfect and lasted 12 years!
    Any help gratefully received.
Page 1
    • SHAFT
    • By SHAFT 13th Sep 19, 7:10 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    SHAFT
    • 13th Sep 19, 7:10 PM
    • 13th Sep 19, 7:10 PM
    In need of a bit of consumer rights help! Bought a tent online with an awning as an extra last July. Advisory note in the tent kit said check within 30 days, but tent too big for garden and personal circumstances meant we weren't able to do it. First chance to go away this Aug/early Sept. Discover three holes in awning door.

My immediate response is 'please can I sort out a replacement'. But I have been told that they won't do that due to it being outside the year warranty and I didn't check it within 30 days. They've offered to send us to fix tape, or I can take it into store and beg the manager who may or may not replace. My take is that it's been used once in 13months and failed, whether that be manufacturing defect or not, its not fit for purpose. Not asking for refund, happy with replacement but am being rebuffed by all I talk to at Go Outdoors, even when I try to explain statutory rights. Will have to make hour round trip to store tomorrow which is very annoying but how can it be possible that they won't replace it? It wasn't a cheap product, our last tent was perfect and lasted 12 years!
    Any help gratefully received.
    Originally posted by katietyreman

You wouldn't need to erect it to check for holes.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 13th Sep 19, 8:34 PM
    • 11,192 Posts
    • 12,755 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 13th Sep 19, 8:34 PM
    • 13th Sep 19, 8:34 PM
    Not asking for refund, happy with replacement but am being rebuffed by all I talk to at Go Outdoors, even when I try to explain statutory rights.
    Originally posted by katietyreman
    But those statutory rights state that you are only entitled to a remedy (repair, replacement or refund, which may be a partial one) if the defect or something that caused the defect was present at the time of sale.

Whay sort of holes are in the door? Do they look like something that could have happened during manufacture? or could they have happened in the 14 months that you've had the tent stored? (by vermin for example).
    • katietyreman
    • By katietyreman 15th Sep 19, 9:38 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    katietyreman
    • 15th Sep 19, 9:38 AM
    • 15th Sep 19, 9:38 AM
    It does look like manufacturing holes. We only spotted them once the awning was up and taut and the sun shining through them, the size of the tent means that a visual check with it jumbled up in our small living room would never have revealed the holes.

I took it into store yesterday and was given store credit (awning not in stock till next March) for a replacement no quibbles and they took my word for it, didn't even check it. Customer service in store much more sensible than on the phone.

I didn't see any info about 'remedy' - that's helpful thanks as it makes a difference to my understanding of statutory rights, particularly in this case!

The parent company emailed as well to offer a pick up, repair and return, ironically that would probably cost more than the replacement!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,697Posts Today

7,915Users online

Martin's Twitter