Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • comment as...
    • By comment as... 7th Sep 19, 2:50 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 1Thanks
    comment as...
    0 WOW
    Where can a get a bank draft in Hong Kong Dollars?
    • 7th Sep 19, 2:50 PM
    0 WOW
    Where can a get a bank draft in Hong Kong Dollars? 7th Sep 19 at 2:50 PM
    I'm applying for a visa. The embassy insists on receiving the visa fee by way of a bank draft made out in $HK.
    It should be from a bank with a connected bank in Hong Kong.
    My bank only does bank drafts in US dollars or Euros. I've tried the Post Office and various high street bureau de change. I tried a few big banks including HSBC. I tried Thomas Cook.
    Nowhere seems to offer the service. It's really frustrating that the stumbling block is a £25 fee, I'd happily pay 4X that if they'd just accept the money and other way!
    Google just comes up with adverts for different ways of sending money. Everywhere I ask they send me to another high street shop or bank, none of which actually do it.
Page 2
    • comment as...
    • By comment as... 9th Sep 19, 1:35 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    comment as...
    To clarify, I'm asking about bank drafts not visas. I happen to be planning to spend the draft on a visa. I could have an Iraqi passport and be planning to spend it in novelty socks. The answer would be the same
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 9th Sep 19, 1:52 PM
    • 13,320 Posts
    • 9,174 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    To clarify, I'm asking about bank drafts not visas. I happen to be planning to spend the draft on a visa. I could have an Iraqi passport and be planning to spend it in novelty socks. The answer would be the same
    Originally posted by comment as...

In which case you have your answer: that is not something that is available in the UK.

Other posters were helpful and went beyond the question posed to advise on how you could travel without this visa, or obtain it without needing the draft. Your evasive replies really suggest that you don't understand what you are doing, so either you are wasting everyone's time for your own amusement or if you are for real you ought not to go within a thousand miles of Hong Kong because you would not survive.
    • comment as...
    • By comment as... 9th Sep 19, 8:07 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    comment as...
    I haven't made any evasive replies. The problem is that i've been too open and ended up distracting everyone with the irrelevant detail that I happen to be spending the draft on a visa.
    It is possible, thousands of people get one every year!
    I'm surprised that you're questioning whether i'm lying. Why would I tell such an inane fib and why would you care if I did? If a stranger on the internet lied to me about where he holidayed I genuinely would not get triggered. It's just such a prosaic thing that can't possibly impact me anyway.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 9th Sep 19, 10:44 PM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    EveryWhere

You are not going to get a bank draft denominated in HK$ here because most places only do it for existing customers. Have you asked Lloyds to draw one up for you from their HK institution? I doubt it and I doubt if they would do it anyway.
    Have you tried a HK bank? https://www.hkbea.co.uk/html/en/beauk-about-bea-branch-contact.html
    Get on the phone and ask all of the banks that have a presence in HK. Melli Bank(Iran) for instance.

If you think thousands of people get them every year, then track down one of those thousands and ask them how they did it. They are not residing on this forum.

You have wasted enough of our time here. We asked questions to see if there was a viable alternative for you. But the more we discover, the dodgier you appear. No one here wants to be seen to help dodgy characters.

Thank you and goodbye.
    • comment as...
    • By comment as... 10th Sep 19, 6:28 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    comment as...
    No it's nothing dodgey lol. The reason they're hard to get is cos they're old fashioned. Halifax reckons they're the same thing as travelers cheques. Certainly a lot less dodgey that crypto, and that's discussed here
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 10th Sep 19, 9:43 PM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    No it's nothing dodgey lol. The reason they're hard to get is cos they're old fashioned. Halifax reckons they're the same thing as travelers cheques. Certainly a lot less dodgey that crypto, and that's discussed here
    Are you are confused as to my meaning? The upshot is that you appear to be dodgy, not the bank drafts.
    • comment as...
    • By comment as... 10th Sep 19, 9:56 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    comment as...
    I've only asked about bank drafts. It sounds like you're just being silly for the fun of it now, we've never met. Stop being a numpty!
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 10th Sep 19, 10:08 PM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I've only asked about bank drafts. !
    You've been given all of the advice that you are going to get. Enjoy Hong Kong.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 11th Sep 19, 6:06 PM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 2,038 Thanks
    Ballard
    How about going to HK as a tourist then taking the boat to Macao and applying in person there for a working visa? I know someone who had to do exactly this a few years ago and it was done and dusted in half a day.
    I hate verisimilitude.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 11th Sep 19, 8:11 PM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    How about going to HK as a tourist then taking the boat to Macao and applying in person there for a working visa? I know someone who had to do exactly this a few years ago and it was done and dusted in half a day.
    Originally posted by Ballard
    You obviously missed their reply to a similar suggestion;

I'd rather not because I'm up against an age limit. If I apply from here, I have 3 months from when I apply until I have to enter HK so I can save up more. If I apply from there I'd have to leave nowish in order to be under 31 at the time of the application
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 12th Sep 19, 4:36 AM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 2,038 Thanks
    Ballard
    You obviously missed their reply to a similar suggestion;
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Oh I see. I did see that but only gave the thread a quick scan and didnít take in the significance.

Realistically the likelihood of getting a HK draft is zero. There just wouldnít be a business case for banks setting it up. I have no idea how much a visa costs whichever side of 31 you happen to be but I suspect they theyíll have to get one upon arrival.

Without having looked it up Iím surprised that a condition of application for such a visa outside of HK requires payment to be by draft when such things almost certainly donít exist outside of a very small area. Iíd be interested to hear where the OP got this information.
    I hate verisimilitude.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 12th Sep 19, 10:55 AM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Oh I see. I did see that but only gave the thread a quick scan and didnít take in the significance.

Realistically the likelihood of getting a HK draft is zero. There just wouldnít be a business case for banks setting it up. I have no idea how much a visa costs whichever side of 31 you happen to be but I suspect they theyíll have to get one upon arrival.

Without having looked it up Iím surprised that a condition of application for such a visa outside of HK requires payment to be by draft when such things almost certainly donít exist outside of a very small area. Iíd be interested to hear where the OP got this information.
    Don't worry about it. The OP has just chosen to do it in this way, disregarding all other options. Best to just leave them to it. Reality will set in at some point.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 12th Sep 19, 12:07 PM
    • 13,320 Posts
    • 9,174 Thanks
    Voyager2002

Embassies are old-fashioned... the last time I got a bank draft in HK dollars was 1982. At that time I had no difficulty buying one from a bank in the Seychelles. Those were the days...
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 12th Sep 19, 1:08 PM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Embassies are old-fashioned... the last time I got a bank draft in HK dollars was 1982. At that time I had no difficulty buying one from a bank in the Seychelles. Those were the days...
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    There is no embassy involved. The OP is attempting to bypass any embassy.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Sep 19, 7:05 PM
    • 15,988 Posts
    • 22,365 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    There is no embassy involved. The OP is attempting to bypass any embassy.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    While wearing novelty socks.
    ďNever argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.Ē - Mark Twain
    • comment as...
    • By comment as... 18th Sep 19, 3:30 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    comment as...
    No-one can get a visa at what Everywhere considers to be an embassy. I'm using HK's embassy (which is called a department in order to avoid admitting that HK is a country). You can get a visa at a Chinese visa center if you are so inclined, but not at a Chinese embassy
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 19th Sep 19, 8:55 AM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    No-one can get a visa at what Everywhere considers to be an embassy. I'm using HK's embassy (which is called a department in order to avoid admitting that HK is a country). You can get a visa at a Chinese visa center if you are so inclined, but not at a Chinese embassy
    The Chinese embassy processes the visa. The visa centre just accepts the applications.
    Each new post makes you seem more 'shady'.
    Separately, where is that 'department' located? In the case of others finding themselves in your situation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,997Posts Today

8,068Users online

Martin's Twitter