Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LiquidStool
    • By LiquidStool 11th Sep 19, 10:18 AM
    • 72Posts
    • 10Thanks
    LiquidStool
    Returns question
    • 11th Sep 19, 10:18 AM
    Returns question 11th Sep 19 at 10:18 AM
    Hi all

after a bit of advice - as usual...

I'm looking at buying a step ladder online, the seller says that returns will only be accepted if the item is in its original packaging, is unopened and in a resaleable condition.

Question is how do i know if the goods are suitable if i can't open them? Looking at the rest of their T&Cs regarding returns, they want to make it as difficult and expensive to return an item a possible :-/
Page 1
    • lindens
    • By lindens 11th Sep 19, 10:34 AM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 7,255 Thanks
    lindens
    • 11th Sep 19, 10:34 AM
    • 11th Sep 19, 10:34 AM
    why are you buying it online? Is there someone like B&Q who sells the same so you can inspect it, then you are more informed if you buy it online and less likely to require a return
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • askmeaboutsofas
    • By askmeaboutsofas 11th Sep 19, 1:23 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    askmeaboutsofas
    • 11th Sep 19, 1:23 PM
    • 11th Sep 19, 1:23 PM
    If you don't like the look of their ts and cs, don't buy from them! Far better to avoid companies that you already think may be an issue than to give them your money.

It does sound like you would be better off buying this particular item in person, that way you can check whether it's suitable before you buy.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else
    • KatrinaWaves
    • By KatrinaWaves 11th Sep 19, 1:28 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 1,974 Thanks
    KatrinaWaves
    • 11th Sep 19, 1:28 PM
    • 11th Sep 19, 1:28 PM
    Hi all

I'm looking at buying a step ladder online, the seller says that returns will only be accepted if the item is in its original packaging, is unopened and in a resaleable condition.

Question is how do i know if the goods are suitable if i can't open them? Looking at the rest of their T&Cs regarding returns, they want to make it as difficult and expensive to return an item a possible :-/
    Originally posted by LiquidStool
    Its to stop people buying a ladder, using it for whatever one off purpose they may have, then sending it back to then and making them shoulder the cost.

Step ladders arent that complicated. Check out some in store if you cannot work out your needs online.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 11th Sep 19, 7:26 PM
    • 6,442 Posts
    • 7,619 Thanks
    societys child
    • 11th Sep 19, 7:26 PM
    • 11th Sep 19, 7:26 PM
    I'm struggling to see how a stepladder could be unsuitable.
    They're normally shrink wrapped, so you can see what the steps are like, you can see how tall it is, you can see what it's made of, what is it you need to know to decide if it's suitable . . or not, without opening the package.

You climb up, you're higher, climb down, you're back on the ground. What is it you actually want to know about it?
    Last edited by societys child; 11-09-2019 at 7:29 PM.

• LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 11th Sep 19, 7:33 PM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 11,918 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 11th Sep 19, 7:33 PM
    • 11th Sep 19, 7:33 PM
    Hi all

Originally posted by LiquidStool
    If you return simply because it is unsuitable then, yes, it will be expensive as you would be liable for the cost of the return postage/ courier.
    • RunningMum
    • By RunningMum 11th Sep 19, 8:08 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    RunningMum
    • 11th Sep 19, 8:08 PM
    • 11th Sep 19, 8:08 PM
    all the dimensions are usually in the listing and again on outer packaging.....its in clear shrink wrap

why do you need to see it opened?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,871Posts Today

5,320Users online

Martin's Twitter