Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dishwell21
    • By dishwell21 8th Sep 19, 5:32 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 7Thanks
    dishwell21
    Am I entitled to a full refund when buying an item in an online sale? (UK company)
    • 8th Sep 19, 5:32 PM
    Am I entitled to a full refund when buying an item in an online sale? (UK company) 8th Sep 19 at 5:32 PM
    So I bought a 30 hat online and it was terrible quality, didn't even fit my head. I returned it the next day with tracked delivery and waited 3 weeks, still no refund. So I filed a paypal dispute and the company replied with:

As our policy states: Sale Items can only be exchanged for another item or a credit note.
    However upon doing some research on this "policy", I found this:

Shops can offer their own returns policies that go over and above what's guaranteed in consumer law. But under the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013, if you buy something online you've normally a minimum of 14 days after it's delivered to cancel your order, then a further 14 days after cancellation to return it for a full refund whether or not it was in a sale. This applies even if you've just changed your mind.
    Would I be right then in continuing my dispute on paypal?

Thanks for reading.
Page 2
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Sep 19, 9:37 PM
    • 62,713 Posts
    • 45,135 Thanks
    soolin
    1. Yes it is still open. I just replied to them now informing them of the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013 act and demanded a full refund. I guess if they ignore that I will escalate the case to paypal?

2. Not sure I understand your question, I returned it as it didn't fit and bad quality.

3. Yes I do.
    Originally posted by dishwell21
    With a PayPal case for SNAD usually paypal will tell you to return the item, and at that point you upload the return tracking number into PayPal and when it shows as delivered PayPal force the refund.

If all this has happened give PayPal a ring and ask them to close the case now in your favour and do the refund.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Sep 19, 9:38 PM
    • 13,717 Posts
    • 9,447 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    1. Yes it is still open. I just replied to them now informing them of the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013 act and demanded a full refund. I guess if they ignore that I will escalate the case to paypal?

2. Not sure I understand your question, I returned it as it didn't fit and bad quality.

3. Yes I do.
    Paypal disputes don't care for legislation as such.

Hopefully the reason you gave for opening the case as "bad quality" as Paypal don't support you in change of mind cases (doesn't fit comes under change of mind usually).

If you have the case open you are given deadlines. There will be a timeline by which you can escalate. Assuming you opened it under "significantly not as described" and quoted it as "bad quality" then you should escalate and Paypal will rule in your favour. Paypal will tell you to return it at your expense, via an online trackable means (to prove delivery), then they will refund your original payment.

At what stage is your case? Is it escalated or just open?
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 8th Sep 19, 10:35 PM
    • 17,739 Posts
    • 13,854 Thanks
    hollydays
    I would thank them for reminding you of their policy, and in turn remind them of their legal obligations as an online distance seller. Their policy cannot dilute your statutory rights and you are already overdue your refund.

If you have no luck with PayPal, I'd just send them a LBA (the company not PayPal). Their FAQs regarding returns are also in breach of the CCRs.

As a side note, this one statement would have put me off them!If you're exchanging for a different item we will charge for any cost increase but we do not cover any cost decrease.
    Originally posted by mije1983
    Agreed. Hopefully people will find this thread through google about
    www.sonofzeus.co.uk .

This also!

If the Customer establishes that any of the goods are defective The Company shall, at its option replace them with similar goods or allow the Customer credit for their invoice value.

Seems like they are making the law up as they go along.
    Do not allow this company to scam you.
    Last edited by hollydays; 08-09-2019 at 10:45 PM.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 8th Sep 19, 11:00 PM
    • 3,576 Posts
    • 20,325 Thanks
    mije1983

UPDATE: The company just responded to me with this:

"That only applies to full priced goods. Not for sale items which comes down to store policy. Also you have said in the case it is due to item not as described however now you are stating this is a fit issue."

Seems to be totally ignoring the fact that sale items also apply to the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013...

Yes www.sonofzeus.co.uk clearly have no idea of their legal obligations. Or they just don't care! The unfortunate thing is I bet they have swindled countless people with this illegal garbage.

Just like their argument of sale v full price goods, the reason for your return is also immaterial under the regulations.
    Last edited by mije1983; 08-09-2019 at 11:09 PM.

• waamo
    • By waamo 8th Sep 19, 11:34 PM
    • 7,935 Posts
    • 10,818 Thanks
    waamo
    I often find that companies with poor quality terms and conditions sell poor quality goods. In fact there seems to be a significant correlation.

https://sonofzeus.co.uk seem to have about the worst terms and conditions around. I suspect the quality of goods probably matches.
    This space for hire.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 9th Sep 19, 5:49 AM
    • 13,990 Posts
    • 11,238 Thanks
    unholyangel
    You could try reminding them that misleading consumers about their rights can amount to a criminal offence and also that any terms that restrict or remove your rights are blacklisted as unfair terms.

You could also tell them that the CCRs specifically state which contracts are exempt - both from the regulations themselves and also those that are excluded from the right to cancel - and sale goods do not feature anywhere in the CCRs, let alone as an exemption to your right to cancel.

I wouldn't hold out much hope though given their first response and I'd forward those messages you've received on to the businesses local trading standards office (you may need to go via citizens advice to do this as many TS offices no longer deal with members of the public).
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • dishwell21
    • By dishwell21 10th Sep 19, 9:39 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    dishwell21
    UPDATE: Paypal closed the dispute in my favor and refunded the full amount. Thanks for all the advice guys and take note of this topic for any future online shopping you do.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 10th Sep 19, 10:10 PM
    • 3,576 Posts
    • 20,325 Thanks
    mije1983
    UPDATE: Paypal closed the dispute in my favor and refunded the full amount. Thanks for all the advice guys and take note of this topic for any future online shopping you do.

Thanks for coming back to update, most people don't even bother! It will definitely help others who come across this dodgy site or particular problem.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,975Posts Today

8,551Users online

Martin's Twitter