Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • smnb08
    • By smnb08 8th Sep 19, 3:12 PM
    • 487Posts
    • 150Thanks
    smnb08
    Faulty car.
    • 8th Sep 19, 3:12 PM
    Faulty car. 8th Sep 19 at 3:12 PM
    Wanted to buy my daughter a little run around to learn to drive in and use as a first car.
    Found a car on auto trader that a garage was selling.
    As we weren’t intending on taxing & insuring it for a week or so, I asked the garage if they were able to deliver it.

Car paid for (£600) direct into sellers bank, car dropped off last Sunday and just parked up on the drive.
    asked my daughters dad to come have a look at the cars oil and tyres etc to make sure it was safe.
    After 5 mins he comes in and tells me the cars basically f***ed!
    He said the water tank and pipes are full of oil, that the head gasket has gone.
    Seller isn’t answering the phone or replying to messages.
    He was very quick to answer messaging when I was buying!

Please, please any advice? Where do I start.
    Last edited by smnb08; 08-09-2019 at 3:15 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    sealed pot challenge member #920
Page 2
    • macman
    • By macman 9th Sep 19, 4:00 PM
    • 43,575 Posts
    • 18,704 Thanks
    macman
    Well no, not quite. Regardless of the price, if it's advertised as having no faults then you will be buying it on that basis, whether it's £60 or £6,000,000.
    Originally posted by Potbellypig
    OP, what was the exact wording of the ad re 'no faults'? No dealer would be stupid enough to claim that on a £600 car. The OP bought it unseen, undriven, and without apparently asking any questions. And paid for it to be delivered, so couldn't have inspected it prior to delivery.
    If it really said that, and has covered no mileage since delivery, then you should reject it under CRA 2015. You need to do this within 30 days, in writing. Forget phoning or texting.
    Last edited by macman; 09-09-2019 at 4:05 PM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • smnb08
    • By smnb08 9th Sep 19, 5:48 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    smnb08
    Nobody said it was acceptable. Unless you have a very good crystal ball how do you know those cars won't develop faults soon after purchase?
    Originally posted by waamo
    I donít, itís a risk you take but then I would never expect it to be delivered with them.
    • smnb08
    • By smnb08 9th Sep 19, 5:54 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    smnb08
    Not at all. You've completely misunderstood the point I made. My point was that at £600, it's unlikely that a car is going to remain trouble-free for long. That's not a comment on your rights in your situation, it was a more general comment. If the car was sold to you as 'fault-free', you have a case to reject it.

I wasnít expecting it to last long, just bought initially to get my daughter driving, was planning for her to use it until the mot expires in March 2020

Why am I wrong? Just because there are 8,119 cars for sale under £500 doesn't mean they're all in good condition and going to last for a long time. When you buy a car for several hundred pounds, you have to budget for expected problems that you probably have less need to budget for on a car priced at several thousand pounds. What's 'wrong' about that?
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    People buy run around cars all the time, I know people with expensive cars that have had things go wrong with them and iv known people buy cars for under a thousand pounds that have gone on and on.
    • smnb08
    • By smnb08 9th Sep 19, 6:00 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    smnb08
    OP, what was the exact wording of the ad re 'no faults'? No dealer would be stupid enough to claim that on a £600 car. The OP bought it unseen, undriven, and without apparently asking any questions. And paid for it to be delivered, so couldn't have inspected it prior to delivery.
    If it really said that, and has covered no mileage since delivery, then you should reject it under CRA 2015. You need to do this within 30 days, in writing. Forget phoning or texting.
    Originally posted by macman
    It doesnt state it has no faults but then it doesn’t state it has any either.

This is the description.....

Peugeot 206 1.1 Zest, Little Run Around Ideal For A First Time Driver Car, 2 Keys, Central Locking, Long MOT, HPI Clear, Electric Windows, Air Conditioning, CD player, Low Insurance Group and Tax, Next MOT due 20/05/2020, Air-Conditioning, Electric Windows (Front), In Car Entertainment (Radio/CD). Silver, Viewing Strictly By Appointment Only Please Call Beforehand to Ensure You Receive Our Full Attention, £575

I paid £600...the extra was for delivery.

Iv looked and looked and can see nowhere it saying the head gasket has gone??
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 9th Sep 19, 6:14 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 6,282 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    People buy run around cars all the time, I know people with expensive cars that have had things go wrong with them and iv known people buy cars for under a thousand pounds that have gone on and on.
    Originally posted by smnb08
    And that's why I said it's a lottery.

The plural of anecdote is not data.
    • smnb08
    • By smnb08 9th Sep 19, 7:12 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    smnb08
    [QUOTE=Aylesbury Duck;76255440]And that's why I said it's a lottery.

No, You said......

I agree, but a £600 car having no faults at the time of sale is quite likely to have faults not long afterwards.

Thus implying that all cars that cost £600 are going to be no good.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 9th Sep 19, 9:15 PM
    • 17,739 Posts
    • 13,854 Thanks
    hollydays
    Originally posted by smnb08
    Do you really want your daughter driving a potential death trap?
    Invest more to get something better.
    Last edited by hollydays; 09-09-2019 at 9:17 PM.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 9th Sep 19, 9:19 PM
    • 17,739 Posts
    • 13,854 Thanks
    hollydays
    [QUOTE=smnb08;76255705]

No, You said......

I agree, but a £600 car having no faults at the time of sale is quite likely to have faults not long afterwards.

It doesn't matter what you think he's implying.
    It's a big risk you are taking with your daughter.
    You're not doing her a favours I'm afraid.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 9th Sep 19, 10:27 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 6,282 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    [QUOTE=smnb08;76255705]

No, You said......

You can infer all you like, but that's not what I was implying. Do you understand what "quite likely" means? It's somewhat different to "definitely".

Think of it the other way round. If all cars costing £600 are going to be good, reliable cars for a reasonable period of time, why do people spend thousands on cars that are 5-10 years old?

You've paid about a little as is possible to get a working car. You'll be fortunate if it doesn't need reasonable expenditure in the coming months (aside from consumables and any due service). It's a gamble, a lottery, a risk. That doesn't excuse it having a failed head gasket if it was described as being in reasonable condition.

You need to understand what you've bought and adjust your expectations.
    • macman
    • By macman 9th Sep 19, 10:45 PM
    • 43,575 Posts
    • 18,704 Thanks
    macman
    It wasn't described as being 'in reasonable condition' though. The description does not mention age, mileage, service history, or condition. In fact, nothing of practical help whatsoever. It could be, and probably is, a complete heap of junk. It only has 9m MOT, too. Probably a long list of advisories on the last one?
    The head gasket is a separate issue, as that makes it unroadworthy, so that's the key to a claim under CRA 2015, if indeed it is the head gasket.
    I cannot see the point of buying a vehicle like this for £600, when the insurance is probably going to be over 1K a year for a young learner?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • smnb08
    • By smnb08 10th Sep 19, 3:08 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    smnb08
    It wasn't described as being 'in reasonable condition' though. The description does not mention age, mileage, service history, or condition. In fact, nothing of practical help whatsoever. It could be, and probably is, a complete heap of junk. It only has 9m MOT, too. Probably a long list of advisories on the last one?
    The head gasket is a separate issue, as that makes it unroadworthy, so that's the key to a claim under CRA 2015, if indeed it is the head gasket.
    I cannot see the point of buying a vehicle like this for £600, when the insurance is probably going to be over 1K a year for a young learner?
    Originally posted by macman
    The car has done 85,000 miles. I only printed the description.
    9 months mot = plenty of time to learn to drive and get test passed whilst saving for something more reliable.
    P.s the insurance is £339 a year for her to learn to drive in it!
    • smnb08
    • By smnb08 10th Sep 19, 3:20 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    smnb08
    Listen guys, again not meaning to sound rude as some people have been really helpful.

£600 is all I could afford, daughter is currently saving up for a better car once her test is passed and sheís confident.

Luckily iv bought her up to appreciate thatís what I can afford and sheís been chuffed to bits with the car right until we realised itís been unfairly and wrongly sold to us with a broken head gasket....thatís the issue here.

Iím a single parent working two jobs to ensure my kids donít go without and Iím really upset that some people on here are getting at me me for buying her a cheap car....if I could afford more, believe me she would have it.

Just for the record, my first car was 11 years old, had done 70,000 miles and cost me £800....it lasted me 7.5 years and in all that time failed 2 mots and had to have some work done for a couple of hundred pounds each time.
    Not all run arounds are crap, if that were the case people wouldnít buy them and thereís lots of people that do!

Letís leave this conversation there shall we, Iím not being advised on what I came on here asking for help with so itís a bit pointless.

Many thanks to those of you who understood and tried to offer helpful advise, I really do appreciate it.
    • Potbellypig
    • By Potbellypig 10th Sep 19, 7:39 AM
    • 537 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    Potbellypig
    If you read what Aylesbury Duck said it refers to cars breaking shortly after receiving them which was what the op quoted. I'm merely responding to their response.
    I understand what you and AD are saying, but it's really of no significance to this case, imo. As far as we know, the facts are customer bought a working car with no faults advertised, and without moving it found out that the head gasket was gone. How much she bought it for is completely irrelevant.

Good luck in finding a resolution, OP. £600 is a lot of money to some people.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 10th Sep 19, 8:50 AM
    • 7,927 Posts
    • 10,806 Thanks
    waamo
    I understand what you and AD are saying, but it's really of no significance to this case, imo. As far as we know, the facts are customer bought a working car with no faults advertised, and without moving it found out that the head gasket was gone. How much she bought it for is completely irrelevant.

Good luck in finding a resolution, OP. £600 is a lot of money to some people.
    Originally posted by Potbellypig
    I'm not saying that at all. I'm merely pointing out that AD said cars break. The op then listed multiple cars at about the £500 mark. I pointed out these could break. I make no comment on the significance to this case.
    This space for hire.
    • Potbellypig
    • By Potbellypig 10th Sep 19, 9:33 AM
    • 537 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    Potbellypig
    I'm not saying that at all. I'm merely pointing out that AD said cars break. The op then listed multiple cars at about the £500 mark. I pointed out these could break. I make no comment on the significance to this case.
    Thanks for confirming cars break.

OP - just so you know, cars break.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Sep 19, 9:46 AM
    • 35,094 Posts
    • 22,175 Thanks
    DCFC79
    OP get your money back for the car and ask the friend to go with yourself and check over any possible cars. If hes a good mechanic he will know what cars are easy to repair or what cars are less reliable than others.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,344Posts Today

8,721Users online

Martin's Twitter