Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jeanzbeanz
    • By jeanzbeanz 21st Apr 17, 10:49 AM
    • 54Posts
    • 45Thanks
    jeanzbeanz
    Royal Mail redirection - is it worth it?
    • 21st Apr 17, 10:49 AM
    Royal Mail redirection - is it worth it? 21st Apr 17 at 10:49 AM
    We're hoping to move house in 10 days (although not exchanged on the new place yet eeeeeek) and I'm wondering whether to sign up for the RM redirection service or not.

I have made a pretty comprehensive list (I think) of organisations to contact once we have exchanged on the new place, to update our address. We get very little other mail, in fact the majority would be junk mail which isn't addressed to us anyway......

Has anyone else used this service recently? What's your verdict? **stressing**
Page 5
    • sat_mad
    • By sat_mad 26th Jan 19, 1:34 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    sat_mad
    Has anyone heard any updates on when the redirection pricing is going to change?

It's been nearly six months since the announcement.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 24th Mar 19, 2:19 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Does anyone know if Royal Mail post forwarding is supposed to be confidential or not?

I have no debts or anything like that, but I had a PI who found me (for someone I didn't want contact with), and I have just learned that he found out that there was a RM redirection in place in my name, from one address to the other. Anyone know if that's information which could be obtained legally, as I suspect that should surely be a breach of DPA?
    Any comments welcome, thanks
    Originally posted by scamhater12
    Report the PI (private investigator) to the ICO (information commissioner's office):
    https://www.dacbeachcroft.com/en/gb/articles/2016/may/data-protection-compliance-of-private-investigators-in-the-spotlight/

Edit: The above is pre-GDPR, so now, presumably, you have to complain to the company that hired the PI, and that company has to do it's own internal investigation. IF you are not satisfied with their investigation, you can complain to the ICO
    Last edited by OceanSound; 24-03-2019 at 2:32 PM.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 24th Mar 19, 2:46 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    My re-direct has an expiry date of: 25 March 2019.

Does anyone know if this means it finishes on 25 March 2019 23:59:59

or it finishes today at midnight?

The royal mail website say's I may receive an invitation letter or email to renew before it expires. I've not had anything via post or email about this. When I access the royal mail redirections site to renew, its asking for a renewal reference number and a renewal code.

The website says 'If you do not have your Redirection number or renewal code, call customer services on 03457 777 888 who may be able to help you do this.'

Reckon that's what I would need to do. But if the redirect ends tonight, I'm guessing it may be too late to renew tomorrow (I cannot call RM today as they are closed)? So, presumably I would have to start afresh (and that means 5 working days or more to setup).
    • custardy
    • By custardy 24th Mar 19, 4:09 PM
    • 34,852 Posts
    • 29,558 Thanks
    custardy
    My re-direct has an expiry date of: 25 March 2019.

Does anyone know if this means it finishes on 25 March 2019 23:59:59

or it finishes today at midnight?

The royal mail website say's I may receive an invitation letter or email to renew before it expires. I've not had anything via post or email about this. When I access the royal mail redirections site to renew, its asking for a renewal reference number and a renewal code.

The website says 'If you do not have your Redirection number or renewal code, call customer services on 03457 777 888 who may be able to help you do this.'

Reckon that's what I would need to do. But if the redirect ends tonight, I'm guessing it may be too late to renew tomorrow (I cannot call RM today as they are closed)? So, presumably I would have to start afresh (and that means 5 working days or more to setup).
    Originally posted by OceanSound
    It finishes on that day when the delivery is performed.
    it will be removed (or should be) from the delivery frame the next day before redirections are completed
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 25th Mar 19, 12:22 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    I phoned RM, and it turns out my redirect finishes on 25 April 2019 (I now remember, initial expiry was 25 March, but after some issues with the redirect, RM gave 1 additional month). CS lady said I should receive both an email and letter soon with the renewal code. She also said I would need to renew at least by 20 April. Not any later. So, presumably, IF my expiry was today, I wouldn't have been able to renew.

Edit: the redirect labels affixed on my mail still have 'expires: 25 Mar 2019', that's what confused me.
    Last edited by OceanSound; 25-03-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 29th Mar 19, 5:48 AM
    • 736 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Here's a good one!. Emailed RM on 03 january about issues with redirect, come 22 January not heard anything, so I send a follow-up.

Yesterday (nearly three months since my initial email) I receive a reply from RM saying:

In order for me to advise you fully, please can you kindly respond back to this email and confirm your new address details in full, upon receipt of this information I can then assist you accordingly.
    This is not the first time RM have dealt with support issues from me. There have been many. Also, re. current issues (the ones the two emails in Janaury were about), in the end, since I didn't have any response for weeks, I contacted my MP (member of parliament) and he contacted RM on my behalf and sorted the issue (at the end of February). RM Customer support seems oblivious about this.

To add insult to injury, RM customer support signes off the email with 'Please respond back to this email at your earliest convenience.'
    Is that a joke? Answers on a postcard please...Actually, keeping in mind the issues with the Redirect I've been having, best NOT to send postcards.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 25th Jun 19, 6:43 AM
    • 736 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Redirect gone haywire again!

From 22 May 2019 up to now I've had 20 letters that have gone to the old address. Nothing has arrived at new address since 22 May 2019.

I contacted RM support on 04 June 2019. A RM Customer services advisor send me a letter on 11th June, saying:
    My investigations have included checking that the name and address details provided in your application have been added to our systems correctly, including any variation of the name(s) included in your request.

I can confirm that I have also taken the following action on your behalf:

* Logged and reported full details of your complaint
    * Passed these details to my colleagues in our delivery operation.
    * Confirmed that the manager at the delivery office local to your old address that they are in receipt of full instructions regarding this service.
    I've just been told by a family member that a couple of letters have arrived at old address. Honestly, you couldn't make it up. Could any other company be so incompetent even if they tried?
    • SlovakianGuy
    • By SlovakianGuy 18th Aug 19, 8:44 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    SlovakianGuy
    From 22 May 2019 up to now I've had 20 letters that have gone to the old address. Nothing has arrived at new address since 22 May 2019.

OMG.. I'm really not happy to hear this as I'm just considering the use of this service.
    • BrownTrout
    • By BrownTrout 19th Aug 19, 6:25 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 1,050 Thanks
    BrownTrout
    I never had any issues! Certainly worth using
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 19th Aug 19, 7:11 AM
    • 1,926 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    OMG.. I'm really not happy to hear this as I'm just considering the use of this service.
    Originally posted by SlovakianGuy
    I never had any issues! Certainly worth using
    Originally posted by BrownTrout
    +1

I've used Royal Mail Redirect every time I've moved and it's a brilliant service that I would recommend to everyone.
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Daniel J. Travanti as Frank Furillo in Hill Street Blues
    Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 19th Aug 19, 8:53 AM
    • 6,602 Posts
    • 8,635 Thanks
    pinkteapot
    +1

I've used Royal Mail Redirect every time I've moved and it's a brilliant service that I would recommend to everyone.
    Originally posted by MobileSaver
    Ditto, although after my most recent move, I'd do it for a shorter time next time. I've always done a year to be on the safe side. This time we had a really good list of companies to contact to update our details, and we only had a small amount of redirected post arrive for 2-3 months. We're moving again soon and I'll only pay for 6 months.

New question - we're likely to move before our previous redirect ends (moving twice in less than a year). Can redirected post get redirected?
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 19th Aug 19, 9:01 AM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 1,359 Thanks
    sal_III
    Speak to Royal Mail, I think you can cancel the old redirection early.

I have always done it for 6m, usually the redirected mail dries up around after only 3 months, but for the sake of 20ish quid it's worth going for 6m, 12m is an overkill IMHO

Never had problems with mail going to the old address, fantastic service. The one poster above complaining seems to be the exception.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 19th Aug 19, 10:06 AM
    • 34,852 Posts
    • 29,558 Thanks
    custardy
    Ditto, although after my most recent move, I'd do it for a shorter time next time. I've always done a year to be on the safe side. This time we had a really good list of companies to contact to update our details, and we only had a small amount of redirected post arrive for 2-3 months. We're moving again soon and I'll only pay for 6 months.

New question - we're likely to move before our previous redirect ends (moving twice in less than a year). Can redirected post get redirected?
    Originally posted by pinkteapot
    You can do that. However.
    You add another layer of potential issues.
    a redirection getting missed at one point, labels over names etc.
    No idea if you can but perhaps worth calling RM to ask if the original redirection can be updated to your new address on the original property.
    Especially as you are taking out another on your current property
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 19th Aug 19, 10:08 AM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 1,901 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff

I contacted RM support on 04 June 2019. A RM Customer services advisor send me a letter on 11th June, saying:

I've just been told by a family member that a couple of letters have arrived at old address. Honestly, you couldn't make it up. Could any other company be so incompetent even if they tried?
    AFAIK, the redirects are actually done by the postie on the round and they have stickers for your redirect in their bag and your mail is then put back in the system when they go back to the sorting office.

At this time of year, your regular postie may be on holiday and so the temp wasn't aware or familiar with the redirect in place. The posties on my round are regularly chopping and changing and I often get neighbours post and vv. I've raised a couple of complaints since it's inconvenient and I've missed some important letters in the past which have been delayed this way.

If you're on friendly terms with your buyer, you could leave them with a sheet of stickers with "please redirect " and your new address and ask if they'd be kind enough to redirect anything that was missed by the RM system.

I moved into my house two and a half years ago where the previous owners wife must have been a habitual catalogue/online shopper as there has been a constant bombardment of small catalogues once their redirect stopped. I always RTS them and the flow is finally slowing.
    Compensation/Refunds - 4,655 | Stooz Profits - 7,636 | Quidco - 4,365 | Tax Avoidance - 107,000
    All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • Skiddaw1
    • By Skiddaw1 19th Aug 19, 12:41 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    Skiddaw1
    Probably been mentioned previously (haven't read whole thread) but one of the problems with the redirect service in my recent experience is the ID proof Royal Mail insist on- photo ID is fine but they also demand recent paid utility statements or bank statements. We're paperless for all our utilities and banking (as are many people now) but they won't accept statements printed from the internet. I went to local PO (at our previous address) to see if anything else would be acceptable but they were adamant. By the time we'd have managed to get our bank to send us hard copy statements (which we'd have had to pay for) we'd already have moved, so we had to leave it. I would also say that the PO lady I spoke to told me that between her and I, the service wasn't great anyhow (and that when she'd moved house she didn't bother with it).
    • custardy
    • By custardy 19th Aug 19, 1:28 PM
    • 34,852 Posts
    • 29,558 Thanks
    custardy
    Probably been mentioned previously (haven't read whole thread) but one of the problems with the redirect service in my recent experience is the ID proof Royal Mail insist on- photo ID is fine but they also demand recent paid utility statements or bank statements. We're paperless for all our utilities and banking (as are many people now) but they won't accept statements printed from the internet. I went to local PO (at our previous address) to see if anything else would be acceptable but they were adamant. By the time we'd have managed to get our bank to send us hard copy statements (which we'd have had to pay for) we'd already have moved, so we had to leave it. I would also say that the PO lady I spoke to told me that between her and I, the service wasn't great anyhow (and that when she'd moved house she didn't bother with it).
    Originally posted by Skiddaw1
    Well if the woman in the PO said so.......

Back to reality. Did you not pass the online checks?
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 19th Aug 19, 1:36 PM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 1,359 Thanks
    sal_III
    AFAIK, the redirects are actually done by the postie on the round and they have stickers for your redirect in their bag and your mail is then put back in the system when they go back to the sorting office.

At this time of year, your regular postie may be on holiday and so the temp wasn't aware or familiar with the redirect in place. The posties on my round are regularly chopping and changing and I often get neighbours post and vv. I've raised a couple of complaints since it's inconvenient and I've missed some important letters in the past which have been delayed this way.

If you're on friendly terms with your buyer, you could leave them with a sheet of stickers with "please redirect " and your new address and ask if they'd be kind enough to redirect anything that was missed by the RM system.

I moved into my house two and a half years ago where the previous owners wife must have been a habitual catalogue/online shopper as there has been a constant bombardment of small catalogues once their redirect stopped. I always RTS them and the flow is finally slowing.
    Originally posted by Mutton Geoff
    That can't be it, since it would take at least 2 days round trip and i'm pretty sure I have received dated letters at regular speed 1-2 days.

As for the ID check, I have always done it 100% online, can't remember what proof was required, but never had to visit a branch to start a redirection for sure. Also 99% paperless with the exception of 1 current account each for me and the missus for exact such cases.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Aug 19, 4:32 PM
    • 6,255 Posts
    • 29,592 Thanks
    Slinky
    I'm glad I set up our redirect. Despite writing to Lloyds, then following it up by checking in the local branch that our address had been updated, a 3 months bank statement got sent and redirected with our old address. Went in the bank and they discovered there was a 'correspondence' address field that had our old address in it. We never had the statement sent to anywhere other than our home address so goodness knows why the 'correspondence' address field existed. The bank manager sorted it out, but the word sorry didn't pass his lips.

The other beauty I'm waiting for is HMRC regarding my business VAT change of address. I've had to warn our purchasers that if they got something addressed to Managing Director, old address, that it would be for me and will they send it on. Sure enough, this is what HMRC have done. They haven't put my company name or my name on the letter, yet I can't change my address with them, without receiving the letter. It's a good job I am on good terms with our purchasers.
    • Skiddaw1
    • By Skiddaw1 19th Aug 19, 5:13 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    Skiddaw1
    Well if the woman in the PO said so.......

Back to reality. Did you not pass the online checks?
    Originally posted by custardy

As I say, they were insistent on original paper ID (paid utility statements or bank statements) which we couldn't provide hence why I visited local branch for advice. I was surprised that they wouldn't accept alternative docs (which we had in plenty- we'd lived at previous address for 20 years) but they were adamant. I tried their on-line query process too and had the same response. Perhaps we just got the wrong people.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

180Posts Today

1,708Users online

Martin's Twitter