Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andrew71
    • By andrew71 12th Aug 19, 7:47 AM
    • 1,144Posts
    • 7,491Thanks
    andrew71
    Competitions you don't see any more (Nostalgia)
    • 12th Aug 19, 7:47 AM
    Competitions you don't see any more (Nostalgia) 12th Aug 19 at 7:47 AM
    I came to realise the other day that I must of been doing competitions for about ten years and so it got me thinking (a bit of nostalgia creeping in) about those competitions no longer around. Be it due to the host website just stopping doing competitions or them going bust.

Wonga on Twitter - 50 - The only time we'd ever want them to have access to our bank account was if we ever won 50 off them. Happily they've now gone

Giraffe & Ed's Diner again on Twitter - win a meal for two on a Friday (two separate competitions). They are still around but they've stopped doing competitions.

Daily Star/Express/OK Magazine - All run by the same company. Daily entries. We're they taken over or just decide to stop doing competitions?

Channel 4 - In the days when Deal or no Deal was at it's peak every day there was a chance to win 10's of thousands of pounds. Free entry up to 30 times a day. This was probably the time many of us learnt to use form filling software and how the browser back button and refresh browser worked.

Fish slice/spatula - personally I didn't enter this so no idea what it was but they did start to get a bit of a cult following on here.

Any more?
    2019 CHALLENGE 12 COMPETITION WINS IN 12 Months So Far - 8/12 250 Brooks Tavern online Spend This Morning Live Tickets Kitvision Action Camera Coronation Street Tour Tickets Holiday to UniversalOrlando for six
    Craft Show Tickets
    500 That's Life mag.
    Signed Manchester United Top
Page 1
    • Rahven
    • By Rahven 12th Aug 19, 8:33 AM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 94,567 Thanks
    Rahven
    • 12th Aug 19, 8:33 AM
    • 12th Aug 19, 8:33 AM
    Curry's annual wishlist competition. Those were the days
    Gamer and saver
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 12th Aug 19, 8:52 AM
    • 41,195 Posts
    • 323,312 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 12th Aug 19, 8:52 AM
    • 12th Aug 19, 8:52 AM
    One of the previous threads

The exodus of weekly comps...
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5796284
    Internet goodness 27169
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 12th Aug 19, 9:50 AM
    • 2,378 Posts
    • 63,832 Thanks
    hdh74
    • 12th Aug 19, 9:50 AM
    • 12th Aug 19, 9:50 AM
    M & S pass the parcel.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 12th Aug 19, 9:51 AM
    • 4,981 Posts
    • 3,250 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 12th Aug 19, 9:51 AM
    • 12th Aug 19, 9:51 AM
    Mail On Sunday win a cottage and 10,000 a year for life
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • princessmoneysaver
    • By princessmoneysaver 12th Aug 19, 10:06 AM
    • 15,605 Posts
    • 321,209 Thanks
    princessmoneysaver
    • 12th Aug 19, 10:06 AM
    • 12th Aug 19, 10:06 AM
    Lush pass the parcel on Facebook
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 12th Aug 19, 10:37 AM
    • 4,757 Posts
    • 348,587 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    • 12th Aug 19, 10:37 AM
    • 12th Aug 19, 10:37 AM
    There's an advent that everyone always goes on about, Hunt the Haggis or something?

I don't think I've ever seen it so never knew what people were talking about.

With the Express / OK / Star, didn't Hello! do the same comps too? ... I do miss those ones, they always had good prizes (although I never managed to win one).
    Last edited by sleepyjones; 12-08-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    *Good Luck * Be Lucky * Stay Lucky*
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 12th Aug 19, 11:19 AM
    • 35,640 Posts
    • 41,795 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 12th Aug 19, 11:19 AM
    • 12th Aug 19, 11:19 AM
    ITV competitions that were FREE to enter.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • mumto2boys
    • By mumto2boys 12th Aug 19, 11:40 AM
    • 7,125 Posts
    • 673,511 Thanks
    mumto2boys
    • 12th Aug 19, 11:40 AM
    • 12th Aug 19, 11:40 AM
    There was a Philidelphia one that you had to fill the fridge, and also a bacon company that we probably all had magnets for at one point that you used to have to search around for frying pans or something?
    • Februarycat
    • By Februarycat 12th Aug 19, 1:41 PM
    • 1,361 Posts
    • 1,840 Thanks
    Februarycat
    The Goodreads ones, I use to win regularly on those, then they changed it to US entries only.
    OnePoll = 25 18/10/19 25 6/7/19
    Pureprofile = 25.00 16/3/19
    PanelOpinion = 10.59 4.1.19 - 10.35 19/9/19
    • libra10
    • By libra10 12th Aug 19, 2:01 PM
    • 12,315 Posts
    • 294,813 Thanks
    libra10
    The Times hourly competitions. I won a year's visits to National Heritage houses and grounds.

They had some amazing prizes.
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 12th Aug 19, 2:45 PM
    • 6,236 Posts
    • 113,776 Thanks
    Blulu
    I miss the 'Friday Tweets'.

I won one of those fish slices. I still have and use it

Blu XXX
    Comping fairy fly to me. Make my bells go tinkle.
    Get your dust out for the lads, and let me have a sprinkle.
    • xoxlauraxox
    • By xoxlauraxox 12th Aug 19, 2:47 PM
    • 3,712 Posts
    • 29,990 Thanks
    xoxlauraxox
    There was one years ago where I think you had to search in a search engine and you could win John Lewis vouchers? I won thousands!

I loved Lush Pass The Parcel too

and anyone remember the Coca Cola ones... I can't remember what it was called now

I miss the old days it was great, I used to win loads from just general web comps but I don't at all now... social media wasn't all over the place then though
    Last edited by xoxlauraxox; 12-08-2019 at 2:50 PM.
    Thanks to everyone that posts
    • dontone
    • By dontone 12th Aug 19, 2:58 PM
    • 4,668 Posts
    • 15,585 Thanks
    dontone
    There's an advent that everyone always goes on about, Hunt the Haggis or something?

I don't think I've ever seen it so never knew what people were talking about.
    Originally posted by sleepyjones
    Ah, The Haggis Hunt. The 'Ghillie' was called Farquar Farquarson.
    It was basically webcams round certain places in Scotland, and if a Haggis showed up (looked a bit like a hedgehog tbh), you have to click the link and you got entered in the draw. You also had to watch out for the Golden Haggis to win a big prize.
    It was a ton of fun. They did it at Christmas. I miss that one.
    There seems to be about 90% of the Twitter comps gone too. You could win a years supply of Tetley Tea and all kinds of good stuff.
    It's not half as good as what it used to be.

Social Media has spoilt it with all the sob stories, not to mention the same names winning all the time, then complaining when others have a bit of luck. Some people have gotten rather greedy and ruined it for others.

Be Lucky.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, 250 Reward Your thirst, 500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Aug 19, 3:06 PM
    • 12,348 Posts
    • 16,854 Thanks
    hazyjo
    The Briggs and Riley suitcase weekly comp lol.

Also won a fishslice! Yay! Should've framed it.

Obviously the Haggis!

There was a Friday Crunchie one for a while - you had to log in and fill out a form or something and when they all ran out, they ran out. Used to look forward to my Crunchie turning up lol.

There used to be a yearly giveaway. Think it may have been an email comp. You had to answer some questions about your hair type etc and they'd send you LOADS of stuff to try. I had a 'secret visit' to a hairdressers in London (City) as part of it, and lots of hair stuff to try (still using some of it lol!). (You had to leave reviews at the end.)

Erm, loads more I'm sure
    2019 wins: Bottle of Prosecco; Popcorn Shed popcorn; Moisturising 'M&S Time Capsules'; Case of Boost Sport + 30 Just Eat voucher; Battle Proms tickets and hotel; under-eye serum...

"Should know better." Apparently.
    • Surfermom
    • By Surfermom 12th Aug 19, 3:26 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 19,371 Thanks
    Surfermom
    The May Glamour giveaways, the Pepsi and McVities ones where you had to enter barcodes.

Like many of us I used to win loads, there were so many good comps, in comparison there are very few good prizes these days.
    • Skilos
    • By Skilos 12th Aug 19, 4:09 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 11,480 Thanks
    Skilos
    Biscuiteers' instant win 'Spin the Ginger'. It went down for maintenance a year or so back and never returned.
    • compingtinkertink2010
    • By compingtinkertink2010 12th Aug 19, 9:16 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 58,155 Thanks
    compingtinkertink2010
    Wonga - I won twice with them - 800 in total. Never had a loan!
    • toniq
    • By toniq 12th Aug 19, 9:27 PM
    • 28,584 Posts
    • 635,572 Thanks
    toniq
    The May Glamour giveaways, the Pepsi and McVities ones where you had to enter barcodes.

Like many of us I used to win loads, there were so many good comps, in comparison there are very few good prizes these days.
    Originally posted by Surfermom

Glamour giveaways, I had so many beauty treats from that, literally every may a few hundred pounds worth of make up and perfume! It was amazing!!!

Advents as they used to be, had about 5 years of a few thousand pounds worth of goodies, I wouldn't do my xmas shopping till week before xmas as they were so many prizes of quality to be had. Then along came Jan and the late drawn advent prizes would pour in........ different comping world back then x
    #JusticeForGrenfell
    • rachelmc4
    • By rachelmc4 12th Aug 19, 10:19 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    rachelmc4
    I used to like the Waterstones ones where you just had to give a review of the book if you won. I used to get quite a lot of new books from those
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,380Users online

Martin's Twitter