Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Muzikmaster
    Good and bad buys from Aldi and Lidl
    • 19th Jan 12, 7:32 PM
    Good and bad buys from Aldi and Lidl 19th Jan 12 at 7:32 PM
    Ok not been using this forum very much, but I do look most days to see what's going on. Think I need to stop being shy, start a thread and join in the banter on here.

Lately I've revamped my shopping thanks to everybody on this board. I still wanna continue to save and make my shopping go further.

Rather than me experimenting with lots of unknown brands from Aldi and Lidi I thought it would be a good idea if we could list stuff we all have tried, but most importantly 'liked'

So I would recommend you all have a try of:

(Lidl) Freshvale Cooked Ham - @2.59 for 400g
    Great value for money and it's very tasty and has no added water.

Anymore suggestions?
Page 2
    • camlo
    • By camlo 5th Mar 12, 10:22 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    camlo
    Lidl bellarom chocolate..... Hmmmmmmmm
    • lollipopsarah
    • By lollipopsarah 6th Mar 12, 12:23 AM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    lollipopsarah
    Lidl I agree the spud salad is brilliant as is the ham and yoghurts and tinned new spuds (not mushy or full of black eyes).
    They also do 18 packs of tissues which don't break up in the washing machine!
    xx
    • elainemn
    • By elainemn 6th Mar 12, 5:05 AM
    • 3,636 Posts
    • 52,923 Thanks
    elainemn
    In Lidl I buy the naan breads, pitta bread & bake at home 2 packs of bagettes. All between 39p & 49p and have good dates on them. Handy to keep in cupboard as well.
  • JayJay14
    Aldi 'mars' bars are called Titan (a moon of Saturn) and their 'snickers' are called Racer (Marathon)

I just love their branding
    • AMMat158
    • By AMMat158 6th Mar 12, 7:52 AM
    • 682 Posts
    • 10,326 Thanks
    AMMat158
    Gianni's cornish ice cream 2.49 for 2 litres in Lidl is delicious.
    It's quite funny that a German company sell cornish ice cream under an Italian brand name
  • lmp0507
    Aldi's Specially selected aberdeen angus beef burgers, They are quarter pounders and amazing, only things in it are beef and seasoning, mmmm.
  • Demba
    It's quite funny that a German company sell cornish ice cream under an Italian brand name
    Originally posted by AMMat158
    This ice-cream is in Aldi, and it's very nice.
    • curlytop12
    • By curlytop12 6th Mar 12, 12:54 PM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    curlytop12
    Aldi's Specially selected aberdeen angus beef burgers, They are quarter pounders and amazing, only things in it are beef and seasoning, mmmm.
    Originally posted by lucymelissa

fab,not tried those.are they frozen or fresh?
    • curlytop12
    • By curlytop12 6th Mar 12, 12:57 PM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    curlytop12
    frozen basa fish fillets from Aldi.
    2.99 a pack,usually 4 or 5 large fillets,thay are lovely.
  • Edwardia
    Only been to Aldi a couple of times, prefer Lidl.

LIDL includes carb stuff cannot eat anymore

Formil washing powder
    Extra Virgin olive oil
    tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, dried herbs eg Herbes de Provence
    fruit and veg especially celeriac, swede, salad potatoes for OH, fennel, beetroot, cherry & plum tomatoes, leeks, romano peppers, bell peppers, onions, shallots, Fairtrade bananas, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, grapes
    OJ and apple juice boxes for OH
    potato salad in creme fraiche verry yummy and especially good for a picnic with their amazing Cormish pasties and gherkins
    krakowska sausage, chorizo, Parma ham, salami with fennel, various sliced hams
    pork scratchings, vegetable chips,
    cheese eg parmigiano reggiano, Brie, Camembert, mozzarella, goats cheese (the mozzarella is same branded one as sold in ASDA and parmigiano reggiano and Parma ham same brands as sold in Sainsburys)
    pickled cherries, Greek style antipasto, antipasto in jars, romano peppers in jars
    growing herbs
    peppermint tea, Earl Grey tea, rooibos teas
    offers on things like leg pillows, ring binders, wall maps, compost,
    ouzo, Pimm's
    frozen calamari, nasi goreng, paella, Canadian lobster, pheasant, langoustines
    houseplants eg lemon-scented geranium, ficus benjamina, aloe vera, coffee, ficus ginseng, bonsai, Madagascar dragon tree, yucca
    seeds
    Last edited by Edwardia; 06-03-2012 at 7:25 PM.
  • franskies
    Originally posted by gem68
    Frozen, they also do hereford beef burgers but not all aldis stock them. The hereford ones are delicious, highly reccommend them!

Aldis pasta sauces are very nice too.
  • lmp0507
    Originally posted by gem68
    They are frozen but very good for those days you just can't be botherhed
    • ukclare
    • By ukclare 6th Mar 12, 2:17 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    ukclare
    Lidl red grape juice (in tetrapack) is wonderful and there is nothing like it in the "regular" supermarkets. The price is generally pretty good but it is often on special so I stock up then.
    • AMMat158
    • By AMMat158 6th Mar 12, 7:20 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 10,326 Thanks
    AMMat158
    Originally posted by AMMat158
    This ice-cream is in Aldi, and it's very nice.
    Originally posted by Demba
    Apologies it isn't in Lidl at all but in Aldi.
  • roxiegriff
    i dont shop at liddl because out local lidl looks and smells awful
    but we have 2 aldis and both are very nice

we buy pretty much all of our fruit and veg from aldi

dd loves the aldi cherios (preffers these to cherios)

we buy the tofffes, the aldi verion of utterly butterly, the cheese triangles, shopped tomatoes, pasaata, part bakes bagettes, bottled water, coke zero, cornish ice cream, dairy fine chocolate, racer bars, mayonaise, bacon, eggs, dinosuar chocolate puddings , olive oil

erm we buy pretty much everythig there, except i dont like their ham, or ketchup, and their chorizo is abit spicy

i find their pricing is around the same as tesco value but in many cases cheaper than tesco value but the quality is much higher, i also prefer aldi as its less busy and hectic
    Member #64 2012 in 2012 challenge total so far: 714.54/2012
    • hartleysjam
    • By hartleysjam 7th Mar 12, 8:03 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    hartleysjam
    I love Aldi!!
    I recommend their grilled vegetable pizza -99p
    Golden fries, potato wedges-99p
    Fruity shots- 1.19 for 6
    I think its 24 or 30 mixed flavour crisps-1.99
    Salmon wellington-3.99
    I have to say there is literally nothing I have brought from Aldi in the last 3mths that I haven't enjoyed.
    • kathleenryd
    • By kathleenryd 7th Mar 12, 8:19 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    kathleenryd
    Aldi luxury muesli better than any other brand - not too sweet but full ofthe expensive ingredients - nuts fruit etc.
    Has Aldi stopped stocking continental style butter? I loved this and the price of butter has skyrocketed recently in all stores. Value butter in T and S is now 1.20 - Presinent continental style butter was that price last year and is now 1.60 - 1.80.
  • JWelsh
    I found the Aldi Chipolatas (1.99 for 10 I think it is) are lovely! Loads of flavour! They were on promo when I got them at 1.49, but when I went to get more they were back up to 1.99. Next time I spot them at 1.49 i'm going to buy a few packs and put them in the freezer!
    I tried the equivalent from Sainsburys (which I got reduced - 1.34 for 12 chipolatas) but they were so bland and no where near as good!
    I've started buying chipolatas in meals now instead of sausages as I can make them stretch further without really noticing you're not getting as much as a normal sausage! :-)
  • JWelsh
    Oh, and the Aldi big bags of prawn crackers - either plain or spicy ones are lovely!
    And I bought their large sliced white bloomer bread yesterday, which is lovely!
    • russ331
    • By russ331 7th Mar 12, 1:31 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    russ331
    Aldi luxury muesli better than any other brand
    Originally posted by kathleenryd
    I doubt that it could better Goody Special Luxury Fruit & Nut Muesli from Lidl. Of course, it's a matter of personal preference.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,669Posts Today

7,844Users online

Martin's Twitter