What small moneysaving things will you be doing this NEW YEAR'S week? W/C 01/01/18

When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important :money:
LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
Total repaid: £10,490.31
Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
SAVINGS: £20,000
Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113

Comments

• carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 1 January 2018 at 9:48AM
    Wot? No Thread?

You dirty stop outs :p

Started the new year as I mean to go on. Rested, and clear headed! Spent a nice evening watching Simon Schama documentaries and crocheting the second sleeve of the cardigan.

Onto the first mission of the year!
    • B/D from stores. Possibly lunch out
    • Climbing up Moel Famau with the folks from the gym and we might all go for late lunch together - hence the lunch out
    • Take down the Christmas decs. I love them and I love putting them up but I do get a certain sense of satisfaction putting everything back to normal too.
    • Message my friend to ask her to measure her toddler before I sew the cardi together
    • Sort out the fridge. Unfortunately there's some stuff to be binned that got out of hand while I was sick. It just wouldn't occur to OH to do these things. It's been obvious that he doesn't look after himself because while I've been ill, he's been skipping meals and eating carp again. Does anyone else find that while their OH is wonderful and helpful, they don't do anything without you asking them to?
    • Bin disembowelled pen found on computer desk (couldn't fix it)
    • Sew up cardi once I have the measurements
    • No alcohol
    • Write out my intention list somewhere I can see it
    Have a good day all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • Morning all :hello: thanks for starting us off CLF we are having a slow start this morning one small still asleep as is DH. Other small and I have done a craft item she had for Christmas. Other things for today:

Small shop for a few things to take away with us. Did have a thought I’d buy some convenience foods to make it easier and then had a word with myself and got a bag of spuds out of garage and will make mash today and put in Tupperware :o
    Have sultanas soaking in sherry that’s about 10 years old for sherry and raisin cake (didn’t have any of those so sultanas it is )
    Got some stewed apples out of freezer for crumble
    Mustn’t forget to get something out for tea tonight
    Quick tidy round so House is clean for when we get back, vacuum through
    DH will vacuum inside of car
    Deadheaded some flowers I was gifted and filled remainder up with water, on second week of looking lovely in our lounge
    We’ll watch a film later but mainly have a relaxing day using what we have.
    Go through fridge and make sure nothing needs stashing in freezer before we go away

Enjoy your day folks, start 2018 as you mean to go on :D
  • I'm posting tasks for the whole week.

:heart: Food shopping - stick to shopping list
    :heart: clean fridge
    :heart: clean microwave
    :heart: sort Christmas gifts
    :heart: be early to work all week or at least 2 time

Probably have more to do but can't think right now .
    Debt to fiancee - £404.00 (left to pay) | Save £12,000 in 2018 - £371.90 all together|2,018 items in 2018 (8/2,018)
  • Happy New Year everyone!

A quiet night in with Jools Holland. Stayed up to see the new year in (glad I did as some really loud fireworks going off frightened a couple of the cats.
    Off to my DMs in later on for a meal but just planning a quiet day.Cat cleaning all done.
    Put some braising steak in the slow cooker last night, using up some of the freezer veg that has been in there forever. Was hoping room made would create enough for braising steak portions to go in.........it doesnt seem to be happening!!!

CLF-what u said on the previous weeks post about writing a letter. I have one friend who will only correspond in letters, she wouldn't dream of sending an email to u. She loves to send her letters on pretty writing paper, and while our letters to each other are never short, you can't beat sitting down with a cuppa and a letter and having a good read.

Have a great day everyone x
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,423
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Morning all :)
    OH had a rotten night with his wretched back (almost took him to A&E, as it has definitely got worse again :(). So I was awake most of the night after staying up till after the fireworks with the dog. Got up at 5, had a bath, some coffee and breakfast and then went back to bed for a couple of hours. Feeling a bit more alive now, and have done the following so far:
    Walked dog
    Got some milk from the corner shop
    Ordered DD2's birthday present
    Did my weekly litter pick along the pavement and grass verge along the terrace -not as much as I thought there would be, given it was NYE last night
    Lettuce and potato soup bubbling on stove to use up tired lettuces and the end of a bag of frozen peas :)

Still to do:
    Make 'pizzas' with a stale half loaf, a couple of spoonfuls of tinned tomatoes and bits from the fridge :)
    Dinner will be toad in the hole - hope I can stretch the one egg I have left to make the batter (I normally use 2 for a big one). Bet I can! I will use up some veggie sausages I had in the freezer for a grand daughter who is vegetarian, but wanted fish fingers instead :rotfl:
    Finish putting the dining room back to pre-Christmas tree state
    See what OH is like when he gets up - may yet end up in A&E :(
    Walk dog again at some point

I think that is all I will manage today!
  • Bagpuss741
    Bagpuss741 Posts: 2,289
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Blwyddyn Newydd Dda:beer:
    Sorry I haven't been around for ages, I've had surgery on my knee to move my kneecap to the correct place:eek: Needless to say I'm in agony. On the plus side I haven't seen a shop for ages as I'm in a knee brace:rotfl:
    Today I have/will:

1. Checked online banking
    2. NSD
    3. Checked all survey sites and bzzagent
    4. Continue with home physio exercises:eek:
    5. Meals from stores
    6. Sleep at some point as had to stay up late because my cats are terrified of fire works:(
    7. Update laptop programs and scan with free antivirus
    8. Sync phone and update if needed
    9. Update spreadsheets
    10. Meal plan for week
    11. Sort out clothing for hospital appt. this week otherwise at home I'm in my pj's all day as it is difficult dressing myself (Even need help changing my underwear at the moment:rotfl:)
    12. Update signature
    13. Read subscription copy of Red Magazine
    14. Watch some netflix
    Tesco: £1361.19, Vanquis: £2644.73, Very: £563.08, Next: £1636.95, M&S: £1049.92. As of 5th February 2024. Slava Ukraini
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Try to use up all the bits and pieces (cake, biscuits, crisps etc) from Christmas
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hiya kids :hello:

Thanks for the kick off CLF :A

Happy New Year!!

Today is catch up day for me - got back home yesterday after 10 days away so it's a washing and drying kinda day mainly.

Sorted out my bullet journal and budgets for 2018 so I am feeling all organised now :D

Hopefully a nice NSD to start the year - no plans to go anywhere. Think I've convinced OH to take the dog out so I don't have to... :p

Dinner is leftovers/pic nic/buffet...whatever you prefer to call it. :p

Definitely making packed lunches for tomorrow!! :naughty: If OH doesn't take something it's about a fiver a day :eek: He works in the middle of nowhere with only an expensive coffee shop on site. :( I am on cheapo HM noodle pots - think I have perfected the recipe with value veg (best because it's small pieces) and liquid seasoning from the world foods aisle rather than stock cube. Also chipotle sauce. ;)

Crocheting tonight - need to finish a hat I'm making for my niece that I never got finished in time for Christmas - will hopefully see her next weekend.

Take care out there! :beer:
  • dizzyblnd
    dizzyblnd Posts: 449
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have a big deal of sorting stuff ahead of me. I need to start clearing my cupboards so I'm going to do my favourite thing n make a list of meals I can make to use things up. I have lots of planning to do as we r hoping to get a moving date soon so new year, new home, new plan. Lots of packing, de cluttering and at the moment a very positive approach. Also need to book school dinners, write a shopping list for tomorrow, tidy house and put Christmas declarations away. I'll report back when it's done.
    Mortgage free wannabee 2022 #82
  • Lottebear
    Lottebear Posts: 794
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello All

- I was planning on going out today but the weather has been dreadful and DD has been happy playing at home and at her Grannies house to saved £20 and stayed at home.
    - Food from stores all day.
    - Done an internet shop with a £4 off coupon.
    - Ordered from ebay a pair of standard prescription glasses for Mum who is due to have a Cataract op and can't have prescription glasses until 4 weeks after surgery, I am hoping for good things. They cost a fiver :rotfl:
    - Christmas Decs packed away until next year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure